• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018 MLB Off Season Thread

I don't know about everyone else, but I always like to kinda spread the wealth a bit in my leagues.

I'd do something like 400-200-80-40, but that's just me.

Its such bullshit to change things on the fly when it's been a specific way since the very beginning....solely because one guy has won a few times.

Without even checking the exact numbers....Ill go out on a limb and take a wild guess this new suggestion boils down to "take money from first, and give it to someone else who didn't win the league"

Last edited:
Honestly, if we're moving things around payout wise, Id love to see 2nd place be the big beneficiary. I thought one of the more interesting aspects of this season was the shootout between GH/Hairnova/UW for second overall.

End of the day, I realize many only care about winning the whole thing.....but I think having a substantial increase in 2nd could make more teams interested in really scrapping it out for second overall down the stretch.

/2 cents.

Stick with the classic payout for first....bump second significantly and mildly reduce 3rd & 4th, so that there's a real incentive for those in the podium race to push for 2nd.

So yeah, you did advocate for a change. That's what I thought.
A change yes, but I think I mentioned it at the start to go to 400, but after thinking did realize it was a bit drastic.

I wouldn't drop first to under 420 - I mean, you still want the bulk of the money to go to the winner. And that's already down a fairly decent chunk of change from what it was a couple years ago.

I honestly don't really care that much. They money would be great to win... but ultimately I'm in it for the fun.I don't remember what we started out at and haven't gone back to look.

I honestly don't really care that much. They money would be great to win... but ultimately I'm in it for the fun.I don't remember what we started out at and haven't gone back to look.

This for me as well. Getting into the top 5 in this league is pretty impressive on it's own and should be rewarded to give some incentive for competition other then essentially top top 2, I'd like it to be this if possible: 360-200-80-40-40.

Something that drastic shouldn't be implemented this year, but I figured I'd throw it out there for discussion.

I don't think we'd want to cut that much into 1st.

I kinda always envision the perfect pay structure to be 1st being twice what 2nd is, 2nd twice 3rd, 3rd twice 4th. Something like that.

I'm also in it for the fun of it... which is why I like spreading the prize money around in my leagues.

I don't care either - we could give the whole pot to the winner, but I don't see how that's best for the league.

I don't think we'd want to cut that much into 1st.

I kinda always envision the perfect pay structure to be 1st being twice what 2nd is, 2nd twice 3rd, 3rd twice 4th. Something like that.

In that way, then a 400-200-80-40 is probably the "closest" to that using round numbers, but as mentioned, that's a pretty big drop from first place (which was 455 back when we had 19 teams I think if the stickied thread is correct). As much as I'd love to see us "spread the wealth" more to help the lower tier teams, I do agree that it's cutting a lot into the top prize.

So maybe going with a simple 420-180-80-40 is the way to go. That way, 4th place basically gets their money back, 3rd place gets their money back plus a free entry for next year, and the top prize is still a little more than double the 2nd place team. While it would be nice to get 2nd up to the nice round 200$ mark, it's hard to do that without either eating further into the first place team, making the gap between 3rd and 4th virtually non-existant, or getting rid of the notion that the 4th place team gets a "free" year.

*Or we just cut a buyout deal for Montana, give him like 200 bucks a year for the next 3-4 years and make him start his team from scratch :p

First should stay at whatever Deckie had it at (you play to win the game)...3rd should get their money back....a fourth nothing.....and all the rest poured into 2nd imo.

Who really cares if anyone finishes 3rd or 4th? Do they really care about getting a tiny kickback at all?.....if you want to tinker with the payout cause of been winning so much, make it a real heightened race/accompliahment for 2nd.

Hell....don't even give 3rd their money back....go full $455 for first or whatever it was, and the rest to 2nd....and let's create a real prestige/value to finishing 2nd.

That'd actually have a real positive effect on the league as a whole as well imo....as it'd encourage those top 4-5 teams in the race, to sell out their farms to bottom basement teams (helping their rebuilds/keeping their interest) and making the trade deadline more interesting/active. I

Well, we lost a member from when the prices were set before, so first should at least go down to compensate. And for a deep league, if you only paid the top couple spots while teams might fight more for them, you might also get more teams quitting with a real uphill battle to get to the money. But obviously winning is big, although even dropping to 400 for the winner is still 55% of the pot.

I like the idea of 4th getting their money back. There's no playoffs in the league, but if there were, that's kind of your playoff bonus. If you start with that, then to make enough gap to 3rd, you set that at 80 makes sense. Yeah, we want teams battling for the top, but nothing wrong with rewarding teams who battle it up to 4th place too. If you only pay out the top couple places then a lot of teams might be pretty far from the money only a month or two into the season.

That leaves an even 600 between first and second, so either you split that 400-200 or 420-180. As I said before, probably going 420-180 makes more sense, since it's still a good haul for the top team and not down too much from the old pro-rated amount, but each of the top spots is still more than double the next.

But I also don't really care to argue over 20 bucks here or there too much. If we can't agree, then probably just rounding off last year's payouts makes sense. That would be something like 430-160-90-40. I don't really know if an extra 20 or 40 bucks for 2nd place is going to make teams fight harder for that spot than they already do.

I don't know about everyone else, but I always like to kinda spread the wealth a bit in my leagues.

I'd do something like 400-200-80-40, but that's just me.

I'm in it for the fun and love of baseball. Whatever you guys decide to do, I'm ok with. Put my vote down for whatever the majority decides, I'm easy.

Back