• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Blues 10/27 7:30

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The Blues come calling for the 2nd half of the first back to back of the season.

The Canes exploded for 6 goals last night against a good Leafs team that was 2nd in the East behind Tampa. More importantly, the guys who needed to get on the scoresheet did, with Teravainen picking up 3 points, and Rask and Lindholm each scoring a goal. Josh Jooris picked up 2 goals and Haydn Fleury had his first NHL points with 2 assists. Darling had 31 saves. Peters said before they left that he wanted to get everyone in this weekend so we'll probably see Ward in goal. Getting #FreeKuokkanen in the lineup might prove to be more difficult.

The Blues come in on top of the Central Division with a 7-2-1 record. They've only played 3 of their first 10 at home and have a deceiving 4-2-1 road record. They won their first 3 road games but are 1-2-1 since. They're coming off a 5-2 win over Calgary on Wednesday. Jaden Schwartz has 7 goals and 14 points, Alex Pietrangelo has 8 assists. Jake Allen has started 8 games in goal and has a 2.70 GAA and .912 save %. The Blues are OK on the PP at 18.4%, 14th in the league, but their PK is bad, 75%, 27th in the league.

There is a South Plaza party starting at 5:30. Don't forget the 7:30 start time for Friday games.

Fox Sports Carolinas for TV.

Looks like under 10k again tonight unless there are big Friday night walkup numbers. Last night's statement will be lost if we don't win tonight too.

Ward played very well. The rest of the team: not so much. Neither team looked great tonight, but the we were on our heels most of the 3rd and totally out of gas by its end.

If this is the kind of game the Canes are going to give to their home fans, then 10,000 could get a lot smaller.

Little scoring action, but good fundamental hockey played by both clubs probing for a mistake.

I was entertained. But admittedly doesn't take much to do so after an Arena Club buffet meal. :lol

Surprising scattering of Blues fans in attendance.

Not so pessimistic about the crowd size. Why walk up on a World Series night when the Canes are playing some team that has no players we know anything about? :sarcasm

It's early in a season with no buzz to it yet.

Theyve priced themselves out of this market, plain and simple. Why should I buy season tickets? There's zero incentive. Cheaper to buy game by game, and I don't have to worry about sinking money into a lame duck franchise that's gone next year anyhow.

Re attendance:

Exhibit A: Penguins historical attendance record

Exhibit B: Penguins record

Similar attendance numbers to ours until they drafted their #1 center, Mario Lemieux in 1984. Highest 18-season attendance average until after his first season was 11,455 in 1975 after losing in the second round of the playoffs the season before for the third time ever. All other seasons either out of playoffs (9 seasons) or out in first round (6 seasons) back when nearly everyone was in.

Even though out of the playoffs for the next three seasons, their attendance began to swell as Mario grew into his role and they began building the team around him, culminating in adding Francis in 1991 for the back-to-back Cups.

Everyone loves a winner.

What is it going to take to convince Bill Peters that Derek Ryan needs to come out of the top 9 and we need to start trying someone new in his place?

At this point I would rather see ANYONE else in the top 9.... Zykov, Wallmark, PDG, ANYONE. Ryan is completely useless out there. He is easily muscled off the puck, isn't all the creative or shifty, I'm sick of watching him out there with Skinner.

lol nice one Elsker.

Guys, I think you're being a bit harsh. Ryan has impressive acceleration (above avg.) and equally good stick handling. Nothing special in the shot department though (average in every way). Where you are spot on is that he is smallish' and absolutely gets pushed off the puck pretty easily almost every time. I like Ryan, but he should definitely not be in the center spot. Sure faceoff wise he's not bad.

Interestingly enough we're off to Denver. Lets get a first hand look at Duchene and vice versa. Maybe we'll impress him so much he'll request a trade ;)

I know we're gonna have to give up someone, but please people stop mentioning Hanifin. He's so young and still learning... I find he had a good game again and had a few good looks. Faulk played good too, but he did have his typical brain fart pass down the middle..every once and a while, its as if he loses his marbles out there, ever so briefly.

What is it going to take to convince Bill Peters that Derek Ryan needs to come out of the top 9 and we need to start trying someone new in his place?

At this point I would rather see ANYONE else in the top 9.... Zykov, Wallmark, PDG, ANYONE. Ryan is completely useless out there. He is easily muscled off the puck, isn't all the creative or shifty, I'm sick of watching him out there with Skinner.

I’m too lazy to look it up but let me guess, Derek Ryan played junior hockey for Peters in Spokane and drinks Kinetico water at home???

I’m too lazy to look it up but let me guess, Derek Ryan played junior hockey for Peters in Spokane and drinks Kinetico water at home???

*best Rainman voice* I'm an excellent looker-upper.

I knew from articles that they overlapped, but wanted to see if Ryan was part of Peter's championship ’07-’08 season where the Chiefs took it all, including the Memorial Cup.

But, no Ryan had moved on to his 4-year college career that season.

Last 2 of his 4 seasons in Seattle under Peters though. Peters there for 3 seasons.

Back