• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Avs 11/2 9:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The Canes start a short roadie in Denver to face the Avalanche.

With an injury to Brett Pesce and Janne Kuokkanen finally being sent down to Charlotte, the Canes recalled dman Roland McKeown and forward Patrick Brown. Neither will play tonight. The lines and pairings from the skate:

Aho/Staal/Lindholm
Teravainen/Rask/Williams
Skinner/Ryan/Jooris
Nordstrom/Kruger/McGinn

Slavin/TVR
Fleury/Faulk
Hanifin/Dahlbeck

Ward gets the start in goal.

The Avs bring a 6-5-0 record into the game, and are 4-1 at home. The immortal Sven Andrighetto leads with 4 goals, only 3 away from his career high of 7. Mikko Rantanen has 7 assist and 10 points. Neither of their goalies are setting the world on fire. Semyon Varlamov and Jonathan Bernier have similar numbers, 3.00 GAA and .905 save %. Varlamov has started 7 of the 11 games so far. They're 13th in goals per game at 3.09 and 21st in goals against per game at 3.09. The PP is 18th at 16.7%, just behind the Canes, but they're converting 26.1% at home with 6 goals in 23 chances. They're PK is 18th at 80.4% but it's 93.8% at home, allowing 1 goal in 16 chances.

Fox Sports Carolinas for TV.

Canes play their best game of the season, and 17 of their fans actually see it. I'll doze off before the 1st intermission.

With so much time between Sunday's game and this one, I would have thought the team would take an extra day in Denver to acclimate to the altitude. Or are we too cheap for that?

Well, I made it till 10:30 but this garbage isn't watchable.

My prediction of their best game was off....

5 goals on 20 shots for the Av’s, enough said. Mediocre everything on this team. Kudos to Coach Bill for that dumb challenge.

Dahlbeck -2. If they wanted a reason to play McKeown they just got one.

Last edited:
Ok, so evidently after it was 5-2, Peters decided to start juggling lines and trotted out, get this... Aho, Ryan and Jooris a few shifts. Mr. Peter's, you officially have an unhealthy 'hard-on' for Mr. Ryan. The team needs to generate some offense and Derek Ryan is your goto center? I get it, that's our weakness but somebody needs to remind you of the pecking order on the depth chart - it ain't there just for grins and grunts like us to toil over. There are at least 4 other options more capable of delivering offense down the middle on this team over Derek Ryan. Anyway. Nothing good to say about this game. Oh Bill must have been right because Ryan scored. Ok. We were already out of it anyway... but why not try Aho Skinner and Staal or Rask at this point then. Go with the guys who are supposed to be scoring. Or Terravainen in that mix. He's actually been producing a bit of late. But no...

rant over.

One thing last night was certain, Matt Duchene is not the answer!!! That guy has become damn near invisible and is certainly not worth giving up the moon and stars for in a trade.

Well, I made it till 10:30 but this garbage isn't watchable.

My prediction of their best game was off....

I fell asleep for a good part of the 2nd period and went to bed at 5-2. Saw that Ryan scored to make it 5-3 and wasn't even tempted to turn the game back on.

This fall is beginning to look a lot like every other fall season the Canes have "enjoyed" over the past decade. More strings of back-to-back losses than wins, and by the time January rolls around, we're pretty much out of playoff contention. It's really hard to watch the way we're playing right now. So, I'm not going to.

One thing last night was certain, Matt Duchene is not the answer!!! That guy has become damn near invisible and is certainly not worth giving up the moon and stars for in a trade.

He needs a change of scenery. And hes still probably better than all of our centers. What other available center do you recommend?

Back