• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Florida @ Carolina 7PM EST

They lose enough that I don't need to get on them when they actually win. But one question, is it too much to ask to have our best play maker and our best scorer on the same PP unit? Seems rather simple to me.

Sorry, I have to object to calling 5 wins and 8 losses .500 hockey.

Yeah, wish we were the division-leading Penguins at 9-8 (9-6-2), one game above "0.500" for 20 points in 17 GP than our 5-8 (5-5-3) 13 points in 13 GP.

Cause, you know, it's all about that win-loss record. :sarcasm

They lose enough that I don't need to get on them when they actually win. But one question, is it too much to ask to have our best play maker and our best scorer on the same PP unit? Seems rather simple to me.

Nothing's simple with Mr. Bill.

One thing I want this team to stop doing - I have seen it in EVERY SINGLE GAME so far this season - when they get the PP... somebody brings it out of the zone, skates it all the way to the opposition blue line - then sends the puck back completely all the way to one of the trailing defenders to - skate it back up and into the zone. Um, lining everyone up at the blueline and then turning over the puck has it that you're all pretty much flat footed and chasing down a breakaway. Please stop this stupid PP move. It is useless. I'd rather dump and chase honestly.

I'm glad you mentioned this, James. It's been driving me CRAZY all season! There's no purpose that is gained by it - no one on the opposing team is fooled or gets out of position - and it just consumes time and energy we so desperately need on the PP. PLEASE STOP DOING THIS!

And what happened to our once-formidable PK? It's become a joke and I don't understand why this can't be corrected.

I don't have any confidence in Darling. He seems to play goalie like I would. In a panic, flapping arms, kicking out here and there, constantly out of position. Say what you want about Luongo, pumped tires or not, he sees the puck and reacts. Darling just flops around and hopes he gets in the way. At least Cam seems like he's in control.

Darling has played 11 regular season games for the Canes. I think it's too early to make a true judgement. His save percentage is trending upward and he's making saves. Might not be pretty, but I trust him more than I trust Cam. Right now, Darling's save percentage is at the league average. In fact, he's one of the few guys who's numbers are trending upward. Goaltending is the least of my concerns right now-- talk to me about defensive breakdowns, special teams that can't generate a point, lack of scoring, and a team of character actors in need of a script and leading man. Last night, we lost face offs, special teams, blocks, and hits. Grateful for the win, but that performance was not impressive.

This team just re-defined its own record of offensive futility. I mean, the last three games, the number of shots vs goals? You CAN'T blame Darling. The games have been close. But you aren't gonna win many if you average under 2 goals a game!

What gets me is why we can't dump it in, hard around style, and out number the defense and come up with the puck. Most often when we get in a scrum the other team comes away with it. Oh, wait I just answered my own question. It takes toughness to come away with the puck. And we ain't tough.

Couple of thoughts ...

- sorry for the extended absence. I was out of town then swamped with work and then sick as a dog. Stuff happens

- Peters refusal to shake anything up in any meaningful way means that injuries and other random stuff is the only way to see if there’s chemistry on this team that just isn’t being tapped. Fortunately, I see glimpses here and there. Nice to see McKeown looks like I thought he would after 2016 camp. Why we waited so long, yeah ...

- Darling is a big awkward flapper of a keeper and he’s never going to make it look easy. Results are how you judge that guy, not grace and fluidity. He keeps up what he did last night and it’s fine.

- Meh. The coaching staff is so stuck on the lines and general approach that I have nothing to add. They’ll have good games and bad, but until Aho and Skinner are going well at the same time, you’re not going to get much out of this team other than water treading.

Aho is cold as ice but IIRC he took a while to heat up last year. Hanifin finally had the kind of game where he didn't look like hes regressed. Clb and Chi will be a much tougher test though.

Aho is cold as ice but IIRC he took a while to heat up last year. Hanifin finally had the kind of game where he didn't look like hes regressed. Clb and Chi will be a much tougher test though.

2016-2017 Game Log -> 13GP: 0 goals, 6 assists

2017-2018 Game Log -> 13GP: 0 goals, 7 assists

So actually, one assist ahead of last season's slow start at the 13-game mark.

Game 14 was the 2-goal game (second was an EN) that broke the ice.

But even then, didn't really heat up until January.

He's a sophomore. He and Hanifin don't get any negatives from me. I have nothing wrong with their games nor progress. On this club??
I would say as they are not as experienced, they are better when the rets of the lot gets their collective butts together. I'm not talking toga party here.

The PP is total garbage. Not one player looks like he's able or wants to setup properly. What happened to the button hooks they were doing last season, cough Aho, skate the puck in the zone, then button hook back. Also, there were a number of times I had enough time to say - shoot the puck - never a good sign. cough Faulk. Even Trip had a small slight on how long Faulk took to get a shot off after being setup in the slot all alone. Trip always see's every player and their effort as 'next to none'. And yet we still see the same garbage.

I like this team, a bit. But not sold on the finished product. Its not much of anything right now. I guess we can just wait till the annual 'find the team soul first long road trip' before we get any consistency and improvements. I'm scared to even look up when that first long road trip will be. End of season? =)
James they shoot the puck plenty but at the wrong times. we get the other team chasing and take a bad shot from the point that the goalie catches, or right into a d that blocks it out of the zone or in the screen. when you get them chasing you have to make them pay. plus we got to get in front of the net and make space there. Staal gets there and stands still which makes him easy to neutralize.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Back