• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: 11/11 Chicago @ Carolina 7pm

TheBigKahuna

The Blackhawks bring their 7-7-2 record into Raleigh to face the 6-5-3 Canes tonight. Its a Homegrown night at the arena.

Our number 1 goalie didn't look the part tonight. You almost have to come back with Cam now Monday night.

1-4 in OT and Shootouts. Still the same issues there.

Slavin and Pesce both -3. 1 for their last 26 on the PP. The leading goal scorer on the bench for OT again. And a Charmin soft goal for the game winner.

Yeah, well a good half of the crowd was Blackhawks fans. That's what made it really disgusting!

In the first Canes played well in pretty much all phases - and led 2-0 at the break. In the 2nd, Hawks got better and the Canes worse - not terrible YET but poor puck decisions re: passes and shots, too many giveaways, mainly they were not paying attention to either their mates nor the Hawks players and where the puck was nor what to do with it: too long hanging on and then losing it. Sloppy, willy-nilly and half-assed.

In the 3rd it was apparent it was going to be even worse and was! Less attention, worse decisions and downhill all the way. If the Canes were tired by then there is something lacking in their conditioning. Everybody in the house could see - except the few who think the Canes so perfect - that if it went to OT it was a lost cause and the Canes just couldn't (or wouldn't) match the way the Hawks were coming on.

There is no way Staal should ever be in either OT nor PP. He just doesn't have the offensive skills.

The biggest difference, as I see it, is the Queneville can get the best from his players and Peters hasn't a clue. He's no better than Muller in that regard!

It ain’t the coach, ain’t the players and it ain’t the management. They’ve all been changed and no difference.
I put all this info into a powerful calculator and it spit out the answer. There is only one thing that ain’t been changed.
Stormy.
What other team has a pig for a mascot? What other team would pretend the pig is a bear. I’m surprised the canes players don’t wear bags over their heads when they come out on the ice.
So, it’s time to put Stormy on a spit and get a real mascot. One they can be proud of. One that puts terror into the hearts of opponents. One that will make men out of these boys.

ill take 3 out of 4 points on consecutive nights vs 2 quality opponents all season long.

I’ll take the 2 points in Columbus, no question. But Chicago was beneath us in the standings, playing their backup goalie and we had a 2 goal lead after 2. Coming away with only 1 point, and losing on a soft goal in OT isn’t acceptable.

I’ll take the 2 points in Columbus, no question. But Chicago was beneath us in the standings, playing their backup goalie and we had a 2 goal lead after 2. Coming away with only 1 point, and losing on a soft goal in OT isn’t acceptable.

sure, the way they lost was deflating, but when your shutdown pairing goes a minus 3, i gotta chalk it up at least partially to wobbly legs from the B2B. CHI record not withstanding, they still have Kane and Toeves who bring plenty of problems for opponents. You are right that they failed to finish them off, and if they look to become contenders, that has to get figured out. And if the power play had demonstrated any sign of actually functioning, we'd have been ok. Still lots of work to do.

Last edited:
There were a multitude of boneheaded defensive breakdowns last night. I keep seeing this narrative on social media that this is somehow on the goalie. But this was not on the goalie.

First GA was a Toews to DeBrincat 2-on-none cross-ice pass where 3 Canes jerseys were in some kind of umbrella coverage way behind the play. Darling has both goalposts covered tracking the pass. Yeah, 5-hole is open.

Second GA is right down the slot from between the circles in a deft touch pass from Kane as every Cane is braced to take his shot from the right circle. Lot of that 24 SF goal open from that position on the ice. Darling was spread, covering a lot. But DeBrincat again picks one of the many classic goalie holes available when allowed to shoot unimpeded from the slot.

Third GA was from the point with no Canes jersey within 20 feet as everyone had drifted over to the other side. Meanwhile Darling is behind Toews and Panik standing shoulder to shoulder with Slavin out in front of them in bowling pin formation. Darling's completely screened, trying to peek around as puck somehow pinballs through everyone's skates (maybe since all aligned toward the shot) and right between the goalie's wickets as his feet are spread poised to move either way.

OT goal yet another complete breakdown, but I gave up when Quenville started aggressively with Toews, Kane, and Keith and Peters countered with a defensive-first possession lineup of Staal, Lindholm, and Slavin. Just delaying the inevitable.

But, hey, core of a Stanley Cup championship team put one on us late in a back-to-back. Good on them. We need some of that killer instinct. As it is 3 out of 4 points for the pair ain't bad.

We're about 2 points off pace at the 15-game mark. But 16 points after 15 games (6-5-4) is not bad considering 8 were on the road. Pretty respectable road record at 4-3-1. It's that 2-2-3 home record that needs work.

Last edited:
We had a house full of guests staying with us this weekend, so I gave my ticket to a friend. It was a pretty good effort until the 3rd, when you had the feeling that the Canes would not be able to keep up the intensity - and they confirmed it. Blowing leads is becoming too much of a regular thing with this team. But the OT is what's really got me pissed off. Darling allowed a goal he just had to stop (and should have stopped), but what about our opportunity just before that? I think our team identity in the OT is: We miss our chances and our opponents make theirs.

The same disturbing trends as always...Rask and Lindholm damn near invisible, a multitude of golden scoring chances squandered such as the Skinner missed empty net and the Jooris breakaway wasted. Say what you want about it’s Chicago, Canes played the night before, blah,blah blah...it’s all the same tired excuses, points lost at every turn.

Back