• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Democratic call to action - The Poll - Should Forumice ban Johnny Holmes for espousing frequent prejudicial and inappropriate views in the politics an

Do you want Johnny Holmes Banned from the board?

• Yes

Votes: 25 52.1%
  • No

Votes: 23 47.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've said this so many times, but you got to realize that this forum is full of troll baits. People who know full well they're being trolled but still take it seriously. This is not going to change unless you want to ban the troll baits too which obviously isn't a solution.

Johnny is like a bird, stop feeding him and he wont be able to shit on your car. All we do here is feed him. Why do we keep feeding him ? Because this forum has so few people actively posting.
Understood, but that's what I'm trying to do here - to preach this idea and educate the people.

And if you got the time to tease and play with a troll, well I guess that is your own choice. I'd seriously suggest you to find better things to do with your time but hey, it's your life. I ignore any posts by trolls, and responses to them ... so I'm a happy man when I come to this board.

I guess until when these troll responses occupy majority of hockey discussion pages, then we'll start randomly deleting trolling posts.

Understood, but that's what I'm trying to do here - to preach this idea and educate the people.

And if you got the time to tease and play with a troll, well I guess that is your own choice. I'd seriously suggest you to find better things to do with your time but hey, it's your life. I ignore any posts by trolls, and responses to them ... so I'm a happy man when I come to this board.

I guess until when these troll responses occupy majority of hockey discussion pages, then we'll start randomly deleting trolling posts.

Speaking personally, I'd try to refrain from answering him in a lot of cases. And sometimes I'd hold off, but he was quite persistent in a lot of cases, and with the way society is, there was always something new to get him to spout off every day, so it's just really hard to ignore it all.

I agree overall that the (overly) hands-off nature of the board is the way to go. Yes, sometimes the personal attacks go too far. It might be nice if the mods sometimes could give people a little "timeout" if things get a little too personal, just to calm things down, but I much prefer not having every thread closed down and posts mass deleted for being "off-topic" like you see on some boards. So yeah, if the Leafs-Habs-Sens thread spends a day derailed while discussing communist ideology, maybe we can move those to a new thread, but I'd much prefer a case where we basically let everything run its natural course.

That being said, sometimes it crosses the line. And while it's great to say "just ignore the troll", as I said, it's harder said than done in most cases. And if Johnny comes back under a different alias and doesn't derail every thread with his viewpoints, or if he comes back and actually has reasoned arguments to debate any of the issues, then great. I agree that at times the thread can be too much of an echo-chamber, so I certainly appreciate hearing things from the other side. But JH was way over the line, and has had maybe one reasonable debate over the last few years, so hopefully things can get a bit back to normal with him gone.

Mizzi was also banned for trying to do an end around the ban. He was just persistent and the mods stopped caring...and Mizzi has been less insane since from what I've seen. Maybe the system works?

If that happens in this case, okay.

Nah I was always fine and very well behaved. Been posting with you guys since like 1999 and it was all good. I just took it too far by attacking the admin in a very personable way.

I'm a faggot and a bit eccentric at times but I'm harmless. I'm not a racist bigot like Johnny.

Maybe we should have a dedicated “pissing match” thread.

Once a battle goes a bit far and takes over a thread, a mod can move the posts over to the PM thread and the combatants can continue there. I’d imagine I’ll probably be using the thread a couple of times per year.

I don't see how that solves the problem, unless we make a "racist ****" thread...which might not be a terrible idea.

Just talking about threads getting taken over generally.

No idea what regularly goes on in the politics thread. Each time I’m curious enough to peek inside, I regret the decision and exit stage left. As I said before, both camps are way too extreme for my liking.

Maybe we should have a dedicated “pissing match” thread.

Once a battle goes a bit far and takes over a thread, a mod can move the posts over to the PM thread and the combatants can continue there. I’d imagine I’ll probably be using the thread a couple of times per year.
I suggested a Zeke v Holmes thread.

Seriously just stop. It's not helping and distracting from the point I was making. Who cares about Johnny, this forum is dying. Lets ALL do something about it.

This forum is what is it - it's not going to grow or get smaller. Online Forums are a thing of the past. Twitter killed nearly all chat forums and blogs.

The numbers of this board won't be impacted by Johnny being here or not.

Back