• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs claim Antti Niemi off waivers

On the open market, maybe, it only takes one very desperate tam (apparently that was us), but on the trade market, with his NMC, no chance.

Price would not go to those desperate teams......why would he play for teams like Coyotes....not many teams have the cap space to fit a 10.5M goalie for next 8 years. Certainly not contenders....

Price would not go to those desperate teams......why would he play for teams like Coyotes....not many teams have the cap space to fit a 10.5M goalie for next 8 years. Certainly not contenders....

Which is exactly why I said he might have got that type of offer on the free market from one of those teams. I didn't say he would have had accepted it, and he certainly won't accept a trade there now. He's untradable unless we eat some serious salary on his contract.

Why would that even have happened......for that to happen, Price would have had to make a comment to the players, which i doubt Price does since he's not dressed or playing in the game. This is coming from Pierre Rinfret....so chalk-it up as BS news

That was from the Wild game in Minnesota. Price was playing.

I have a hard time believing Hudon being snappy with Price though.

Which is exactly why I said he might have got that type of offer on the free market from one of those teams. I didn't say he would have had accepted it, and he certainly won't accept a trade there now. He's untradable unless we eat some serious salary on his contract.

We are stuck with that albatross deal .Even if he will accept a trade or Angela wants to leave all we are getting back is another albatross deal from a mega deal .

Major fck up at its best here . You don't ink 30 plus year to 8 year deals knowing half that deal will be dead money most likely.

We are stuck with that albatross deal .Even if he will accept a trade or Angela wants to leave all we are getting back is another albatross deal from a mega deal .

Major fck up at its best here . You don't ink 30 plus year to 8 year deals knowing half that deal will be dead money most likely.
The out option will be a 2020 post lockout buyout, per Prices contract he’s paid most of his $ via bonus in what...the first 4-years?

I disagree re: no interest, I’d bet Philly would swap Giroux for Price, not sure how they make it work cap wise but quite sure Leafs / Oilers would be interested in Price.

Unless Price’s performance falls off he cliff, do people really think there’d be no interest in a goalie who can guarantee top-5 performance and has a proven track record of having done so in the toughest market (by a country mile) for goalies in the NHL?

The out option will be a 2020 post lockout buyout, per Prices contract he’s paid most of his $ via bonus in what...the first 4-years?

I disagree re: no interest, I’d bet Philly would swap Giroux for Price, not sure how they make it work cap wise but quite sure Leafs / Oilers would be interested in Price.

Unless Price’s performance falls off he cliff, do people really think there’d be no interest in a goalie who can guarantee top-5 performance and has a proven track record of having done so in the toughest market (by a country mile) for goalies in the NHL?

Health is the # 1 factor. The goalie position is so physically demanding, if your body isn't up to it, you are finished.

It's not that there'd be no interest from a talent perspective. Every GM in the league knows that Price is elite. But at the money he's being paid you won't have many takers. The only way you could hope to deal him is by eating salary, which gets you nowhere. The whole point of trading him is to get cap relief.

And anyway, we have a GM who has staked his own continued employment on a goalie-centric team. He's not trading Price because he needs him too much.

It's not that there'd be no interest from a talent perspective. Every GM in the league knows that Price is elite. But at the money he's being paid you won't have many takers. The only way you could hope to deal him is by eating salary, which gets you nowhere. The whole point of trading him is to get cap relief.

And anyway, we have a GM who has staked his own continued employment on a goalie-centric team. He's not trading Price because he needs him too much.

Not really. The point of trading him is to get 2 or 3 players in return who can help you fill holes in the roster immediately and down the road. The Canadiens already have tons of cap space that they can't find a way to use.

Can we do this? I'm down.

So in a nutshell -- a bunch of teams would want Price. He's probably pretty good then.

Put Price on the market and I can guarantee you at least 5 teams would be seriously interested and the leafs being one of them.

We haven't had to experience this here in Montreal but the frustration certain organizations feel from having mediocre goaltending and failing so frequently at finding a #1 for the last 4-5 years will drive these organizations to make a hard push for Price.

Toronto
Calgary
St.Louis
Philly
Winnipeg

These are the best examples of teams that have not been able to nail down solid #1 netminders for a few years now.

Price seems really pissed at media....if this continues, I can easily see him demanding a trade by next season (which would be the best scenario for all parties concerned)

Why exactly would the Habs not having Price be a good thing?

The team can be built properly including him. Right now it's not. It's Bergiven's fault. We had over 8 million in cap space this season.

Why exactly would the Habs not having Price be a good thing?

The team can be built properly including him. Right now it's not. It's Bergiven's fault. We had over 8 million in cap space this season.

The problem with Price is that (most of the time) he's so good that he can make an idiot GM look like a genius and cover for all his crappy player moves. That's the thing that Bergevin loves about Price more than anything else: he allows Bergevin to screw up over and over again without it costing him his job. Having Price has allowed Bergy to not properly address the weakness at center. Any other team would have had to either take care of that by now or fire it's do-nothing GM.

Unless I am reading it wrong 31`s buyout is atrocious til 2025 with a 9+ cap buyout cap hit .

This deal is basically buyout , lockout , and piss poor performance proof for 31 .

Put Price on the market and I can guarantee you at least 5 teams would be seriously interested and the leafs being one of them.

We haven't had to experience this here in Montreal but the frustration certain organizations feel from having mediocre goaltending and failing so frequently at finding a #1 for the last 4-5 years will drive these organizations to make a hard push for Price.

Toronto
Calgary
St.Louis
Philly
Winnipeg

These are the best examples of teams that have not been able to nail down solid #1 netminders for a few years now.

Maybe Calgary or Philly bites but it will require taking back some bad deals like Giordano or Giroux plus eat money and thats the last thing we need right now .

So just so I have this clear, it's Price's fault when we lose when he plays and it's also his fault when we lose and he doesn't play? Trade him??

Back