Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Habs claim Antti Niemi off waivers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Habs claim Antti Niemi off waivers

Quote Originally Posted by GrandWazoo View Post
    On the open market, maybe, it only takes one very desperate tam (apparently that was us), but on the trade market, with his NMC, no chance.
    Price would not go to those desperate teams......why would he play for teams like Coyotes....not many teams have the cap space to fit a 10.5M goalie for next 8 years. Certainly not contenders....
    "Love one another as I have loved you"... Jesus-Christ our Holy Lord and Savior Forever Amen and Alleluia !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wiseguy1 View Post
    https://hockey30.com/nouvelles/carey...-charles-hudon

Price must hate anyone with the first name Charles or Charlie now.
    Why would that even have happened......for that to happen, Price would have had to make a comment to the players, which i doubt Price does since he's not dressed or playing in the game. This is coming from Pierre Rinfret....so chalk-it up as BS news
    "Love one another as I have loved you"... Jesus-Christ our Holy Lord and Savior Forever Amen and Alleluia !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
    Price would not go to those desperate teams......why would he play for teams like Coyotes....not many teams have the cap space to fit a 10.5M goalie for next 8 years. Certainly not contenders....
    Which is exactly why I said he might have got that type of offer on the free market from one of those teams. I didn't say he would have had accepted it, and he certainly won't accept a trade there now. He's untradable unless we eat some serious salary on his contract.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
    Why would that even have happened......for that to happen, Price would have had to make a comment to the players, which i doubt Price does since he's not dressed or playing in the game. This is coming from Pierre Rinfret....so chalk-it up as BS news
    That was from the Wild game in Minnesota. Price was playing.

I have a hard time believing Hudon being snappy with Price though.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrandWazoo View Post
    Which is exactly why I said he might have got that type of offer on the free market from one of those teams. I didn't say he would have had accepted it, and he certainly won't accept a trade there now. He's untradable unless we eat some serious salary on his contract.
    We are stuck with that albatross deal .Even if he will accept a trade or Angela wants to leave all we are getting back is another albatross deal from a mega deal .

Major fck up at its best here . You don't ink 30 plus year to 8 year deals knowing half that deal will be dead money most likely.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Habs claim Antti Niemi off waivers

Quote Originally Posted by GEEMAN View Post
    We are stuck with that albatross deal .Even if he will accept a trade or Angela wants to leave all we are getting back is another albatross deal from a mega deal .

Major fck up at its best here . You don't ink 30 plus year to 8 year deals knowing half that deal will be dead money most likely.
    The out option will be a 2020 post lockout buyout, per Prices contract he’s paid most of his $ via bonus in what...the first 4-years?

I disagree re: no interest, I’d bet Philly would swap Giroux for Price, not sure how they make it work cap wise but quite sure Leafs / Oilers would be interested in Price.

Unless Price’s performance falls off he cliff, do people really think there’d be no interest in a goalie who can guarantee top-5 performance and has a proven track record of having done so in the toughest market (by a country mile) for goalies in the NHL?

“We haven’t reached the ultimate, of where you walk into the building and you can sort of smell victory. But we’re a step closer to that this year than we were last year.”

“So now the pressure’s on to replicate.”
    - Geoff Molson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sal_Butera View Post
    The out option will be a 2020 post lockout buyout, per Prices contract he’s paid most of his $ via bonus in what...the first 4-years?

I disagree re: no interest, I’d bet Philly would swap Giroux for Price, not sure how they make it work cap wise but quite sure Leafs / Oilers would be interested in Price.

Unless Price’s performance falls off he cliff, do people really think there’d be no interest in a goalie who can guarantee top-5 performance and has a proven track record of having done so in the toughest market (by a country mile) for goalies in the NHL?
    Health is the # 1 factor. The goalie position is so physically demanding, if your body isn't up to it, you are finished.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not that there'd be no interest from a talent perspective. Every GM in the league knows that Price is elite. But at the money he's being paid you won't have many takers. The only way you could hope to deal him is by eating salary, which gets you nowhere. The whole point of trading him is to get cap relief.

And anyway, we have a GM who has staked his own continued employment on a goalie-centric team. He's not trading Price because he needs him too much.
    The Montreal Canadiens:

"Making easy jobs needlessly difficult since 1994"

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WeHaveMoreCupsThanYou View Post
    It's not that there'd be no interest from a talent perspective. Every GM in the league knows that Price is elite. But at the money he's being paid you won't have many takers. The only way you could hope to deal him is by eating salary, which gets you nowhere. The whole point of trading him is to get cap relief.

And anyway, we have a GM who has staked his own continued employment on a goalie-centric team. He's not trading Price because he needs him too much.
    Not really. The point of trading him is to get 2 or 3 players in return who can help you fill holes in the roster immediately and down the road. The Canadiens already have tons of cap space that they can't find a way to use.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah. Cap space is irreverent to the Habs right now.

It gets murky next year though.

Post Thanks / Like

Can we do this? I'm down.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

So in a nutshell -- a bunch of teams would want Price. He's probably pretty good then.

Post Thanks / Like

Put Price on the market and I can guarantee you at least 5 teams would be seriously interested and the leafs being one of them.

We haven't had to experience this here in Montreal but the frustration certain organizations feel from having mediocre goaltending and failing so frequently at finding a #1 for the last 4-5 years will drive these organizations to make a hard push for Price.

Toronto
    Calgary
    St.Louis
    Philly
    Winnipeg

These are the best examples of teams that have not been able to nail down solid #1 netminders for a few years now.
    Go Habs Go!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234