Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 102

Thread: Habs claim Antti Niemi off waivers

  1. #1
    Mod Squad hairnova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Halifax, NS.
    Posts
    118,251
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Habs claim Antti Niemi off waivers

    Lindgren's new backup goalie.

  2. #2
    ADMINuteman Habspatrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lookin for a place to happen
    Posts
    78,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Habs claim Antti Niemi off waivers


  3. #3
    Legend Altair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    9,272
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Habs claim Antti Niemi off waivers

    But I though price only had a minor lower body injury?
    No one loves the warrior until the enemy is at the gate.

    Quote Originally Posted by zeke View Post
    An idiot grunt like habitants should be enraged.

  4. #4
    Canadiens Moderator DonKay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    51,355
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Habs claim Antti Niemi off waivers

    This is funny
    Go Habs Go!

  5. #5
    Mod Squad hairnova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Halifax, NS.
    Posts
    118,251
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Habs claim Antti Niemi off waivers

    I'd say this is more about Montoya than Price. Lindgren isn't backing up Price when he gets back.

  6. #6
    Canadiens Moderator Rolex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    40,024
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Habs claim Antti Niemi off waivers

    I LOVE IT
    "Love one another as I have loved you"... Jesus-Christ our Holy Lord and Savior Forever Amen and Alleluia !!!

  7. #7
    Legend WeHaveMoreCupsThanYou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    19,882
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Habs claim Antti Niemi off waivers

    Didn't someone in another thread try to tell us that Niemi was a franchise goalie because he won a Cup with Chicago? How do franchise goalies wind up on waivers?

    When they no longer play behind the likes of Kane, Toews, Sharp, Hossa, Keith and Seabrook, I guess.
    The Montreal Canadiens:

    "Making easy jobs needlessly difficult since 1994"

  8. #8
    Legend GrandWazoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    41,786
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Habs claim Antti Niemi off waivers

    Quote Originally Posted by WeHaveMoreCupsThanYou View Post
    Didn't someone in another thread try to tell us that Niemi was a franchise goalie because he won a Cup with Chicago? How do franchise goalies wind up on waivers?

    When they no longer play behind the likes of Kane, Toews, Sharp, Hossa, Keith and Seabrook, I guess.
    Nope, that was the guy we all agreed was the exception.

  9. #9
    Legend GrandWazoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    41,786
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Habs claim Antti Niemi off waivers

    Quote Originally Posted by hairnova View Post
    I'd say this is more about Montoya than Price. Lindgren isn't backing up Price when he gets back.
    I think it's more about given Fucale a chance to play games in the minors instead of sitting on the bench in Montreal.

  10. #10
    Legend WeHaveMoreCupsThanYou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    19,882
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Habs claim Antti Niemi off waivers

    Quote Originally Posted by GrandWazoo View Post
    Nope, that was the guy we all agreed was the exception.
    I would classify Niemi as the rule of the past decade rather than the exception. The last truly "franchise" goalie to single-handedly carry his team to Cup victory was Brodeur in 2003 during the dead puck era when goalies wore equipment made for the Michelin Man.
    The Montreal Canadiens:

    "Making easy jobs needlessly difficult since 1994"

  11. #11
    Legend GrandWazoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    41,786
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Habs claim Antti Niemi off waivers

    That truly depends on your definition of franchise goalie. I can easily argue that Crawford, Quick and Thomas are franchise goalies and Murray might very well become one.

  12. #12
    ADMINuteman Habspatrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lookin for a place to happen
    Posts
    78,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Habs claim Antti Niemi off waivers

    Quote Originally Posted by GrandWazoo View Post
    That truly depends on your definition of franchise goalie. I can easily argue that Crawford, Quick and Thomas are franchise goalies and Murray might very well become one.
    So you feel there are like 10+ franchise goalies in the league?

  13. #13
    Canadiens Moderator DonKay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    51,355
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Habs claim Antti Niemi off waivers

    Quote Originally Posted by GrandWazoo View Post
    I think it's more about given Fucale a chance to play games in the minors instead of sitting on the bench in Montreal.


    It;s more about having a back up to sit on the bench when Price comes back.

    Lindgren will go back to Laval to play the bulk of games
    Go Habs Go!

  14. #14
    Legend GrandWazoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    41,786
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Habs claim Antti Niemi off waivers

    Quote Originally Posted by Habspatrol View Post
    So you feel there are like 10+ franchise goalies in the league?
    Yes

  15. #15
    ADMINuteman Habspatrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lookin for a place to happen
    Posts
    78,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Habs claim Antti Niemi off waivers

    Quote Originally Posted by GrandWazoo View Post
    Yes
    That seems like a lot.
    ForumICE Rule Book
    Thank you to Habs4Life for the avatar

  16. #16
    Legend Altair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    9,272
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Habs claim Antti Niemi off waivers

    Quote Originally Posted by Habspatrol View Post
    That seems like a lot.
    I think he's lumping in elite goalies with franchise goalies.

    I think there are 10 elite goalies in the league, 5 of them franchise goalies.

    If he wanted to say crawford is a elite goalie, I wouldn't argue that. But if f I wanted to build a team where the forwards are average, the defense is average and you needed a franchise goalie to drag a team into respect ability, I wouldn't pick crawford to do it
    No one loves the warrior until the enemy is at the gate.

    Quote Originally Posted by zeke View Post
    An idiot grunt like habitants should be enraged.

  17. #17
    Legend GrandWazoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    41,786
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Habs claim Antti Niemi off waivers

    Quote Originally Posted by Habspatrol View Post
    That seems like a lot.
    Not really, those are the best in the world, there is very little difference between the top 10-15 goalies in the league over any significant number of games (multi-seasons).

  18. #18
    1st Liner Guinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    1,189
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Habs claim Antti Niemi off waivers

    He was free? Who cares? And lets be honest, would you rather him play 1 or 2 games or Fucale?

  19. #19
    Legend GrandWazoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    41,786
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Habs claim Antti Niemi off waivers

    Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    I think he's lumping in elite goalies with franchise goalies.

    I think there are 10 elite goalies in the league, 5 of them franchise goalies.

    If he wanted to say crawford is a elite goalie, I wouldn't argue that. But if f I wanted to build a team where the forwards are average, the defense is average and you needed a franchise goalie to drag a team into respect ability, I wouldn't pick crawford to do it
    I am, which is why I'm asking what's your definition of a franchise goalie.

    I personally wouldn't build my team around a goalie so that notion of franchise goalie is a bit silly to me. The difference between the top goalie in the league and the 15th one is probably around 10 goals a year.

  20. #20
    Canadiens Moderator Rolex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    40,024
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Habs claim Antti Niemi off waivers

    Quote Originally Posted by GrandWazoo View Post
    I am, which is why I'm asking what's your definition of a franchise goalie.

    I personally wouldn't build my team around a goalie so that notion of franchise goalie is a bit silly to me. The difference between the top goalie in the league and the 15th one is probably around 10 goals a year.
    Funny how regular everyday fans like you and me understand that concept, but guys paid millions to manage teams don't....hence throwing 10.5M at a goalie...

    Mind you, I also wouldn't have given 10.5M to Toews....even though everyone knows i've been bullish on getting centers for the longest time on this board (and the board before this one)
    "Love one another as I have loved you"... Jesus-Christ our Holy Lord and Savior Forever Amen and Alleluia !!!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •