• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs claim Antti Niemi off waivers

I'd say this is more about Montoya than Price. Lindgren isn't backing up Price when he gets back.

Didn't someone in another thread try to tell us that Niemi was a franchise goalie because he won a Cup with Chicago? How do franchise goalies wind up on waivers?

When they no longer play behind the likes of Kane, Toews, Sharp, Hossa, Keith and Seabrook, I guess.

Didn't someone in another thread try to tell us that Niemi was a franchise goalie because he won a Cup with Chicago? How do franchise goalies wind up on waivers?

When they no longer play behind the likes of Kane, Toews, Sharp, Hossa, Keith and Seabrook, I guess.

Nope, that was the guy we all agreed was the exception.

Nope, that was the guy we all agreed was the exception.

I would classify Niemi as the rule of the past decade rather than the exception. The last truly "franchise" goalie to single-handedly carry his team to Cup victory was Brodeur in 2003 during the dead puck era when goalies wore equipment made for the Michelin Man.

That truly depends on your definition of franchise goalie. I can easily argue that Crawford, Quick and Thomas are franchise goalies and Murray might very well become one.

That truly depends on your definition of franchise goalie. I can easily argue that Crawford, Quick and Thomas are franchise goalies and Murray might very well become one.

So you feel there are like 10+ franchise goalies in the league?

I think it's more about given Fucale a chance to play games in the minors instead of sitting on the bench in Montreal.

It;s more about having a back up to sit on the bench when Price comes back.

Lindgren will go back to Laval to play the bulk of games

That seems like a lot.

I think he's lumping in elite goalies with franchise goalies.

I think there are 10 elite goalies in the league, 5 of them franchise goalies.

If he wanted to say crawford is a elite goalie, I wouldn't argue that. But if f I wanted to build a team where the forwards are average, the defense is average and you needed a franchise goalie to drag a team into respect ability, I wouldn't pick crawford to do it

He was free? Who cares? And lets be honest, would you rather him play 1 or 2 games or Fucale?

I think he's lumping in elite goalies with franchise goalies.

I think there are 10 elite goalies in the league, 5 of them franchise goalies.

If he wanted to say crawford is a elite goalie, I wouldn't argue that. But if f I wanted to build a team where the forwards are average, the defense is average and you needed a franchise goalie to drag a team into respect ability, I wouldn't pick crawford to do it

I am, which is why I'm asking what's your definition of a franchise goalie.

I personally wouldn't build my team around a goalie so that notion of franchise goalie is a bit silly to me. The difference between the top goalie in the league and the 15th one is probably around 10 goals a year.

I am, which is why I'm asking what's your definition of a franchise goalie.

I personally wouldn't build my team around a goalie so that notion of franchise goalie is a bit silly to me. The difference between the top goalie in the league and the 15th one is probably around 10 goals a year.

Funny how regular everyday fans like you and me understand that concept, but guys paid millions to manage teams don't....hence throwing 10.5M at a goalie...

Mind you, I also wouldn't have given 10.5M to Toews....even though everyone knows i've been bullish on getting centers for the longest time on this board (and the board before this one)

Back