• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Preds game thread....

Josh Jooris is the only player on the current roster that I wouldn't completely cringe if he dropped the gloves. Not because he is a good fighter, I really have no idea, mostly because if he got hurt it wouldn't be a huge impact (sorry Josh!) Staal can at least defend himself if he got in a scrap. Fleury dropped the gloves in pre-season, but he has little experience.

Trevor Carrick is probably the closest we have to a fighter who can actually play hockey in the system. Lots of the minor leaguers like Patrick Brown scrap a fair amount down there. But at the NHL level? Nothing but middle and lightweights who would need to pick their spots very carefully.

Talking about fighters in todays NHL just seems funny to me. Even more funny is talking about Canes fighting.

Correct. You don't need fighters anymore, really. You need guys who will smack somebody around after the whistle to clean up aggro, though.

If there were nothing else but a one-for-all, all-for-one group jostling after whistles that was initiated by players wearing Canes jerseys...well...I might just swoon. :sarcasm

Agreed that there are no heavyweight contenders on the Canes, but that's not even what I'm worried about. I just want a physical game with consistently hard (and legal) checks to throw our opponents off their game.

Well have have some of those guys...McGinn, Nordstrom, PDG, Jooris and Staal are at least willing to throw some checks. But its a complete mismatch out there when we play Western conference teams especially. They are so much more physical than the Canes and we have very little snarl to give some of that back.

Back