• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hey Nerds: Macbooks!

Killer93

So my macbook has almost run its course. Been using a 13' Macbook Pro since 2011 but looking to make an upgrade within the next month. Anyone share their experiences on which route I should take Macbook vs Macbook Air vs Macbook Pro? The new touch bar seems awesome but the price point does scare me. Would love to hear some feedback.

ya

depends what you use it for

typing up a few documents and surfing the web = whatever is cheapest :p

I run a business and utilize most of the Microsoft office suite on top of social media programs (slack, fb, instagram, twitter etc.) Also watch videos, movies etc nothing really hardcore. Can be a bit of a multi-tasker at times with multiple windows and programs running at once.

I run a business and utilize most of the Microsoft office suite on top of social media programs (slack, fb, instagram, twitter etc.) Also watch videos, movies etc nothing really hardcore. Can be a bit of a multi-tasker at times with multiple windows and programs running at once.

you don't need a Pro for this sort of casual use.

Unless you have 2K+burning a hole in your wallet, there are plenty of alternatives to MacBook Pro. If you just have to have a Mac, the Air is more than enough. Still seems crazy to me to pay that much for a non gaming laptop.

You probably already know this (so forgive me if you do...) but to save at least a few hundreds bucks over "new"; perhaps try the refurb route?:

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/13

Again, probably stating the already known facts....Apple refurbs (bought from the Apple website) have the same warranty as "new". Internal components might be "used" but at least the battery will be brand new (I'm fairly certain the 'outside shell' is new). Only thing you don't get is the fancy box (It comes in a plain white box) - like that really matters....

Last edited:
I have a MacBook Pro with touch bar, which I basically only use to login via fingerprint. It’s still pretty dope overall but the touch bar is mostly ignored in my usage.

Touchbar is irrelevant, but there's some merit in getting the latest hardware (as in processor, memory). I am running a 2012 Macbook pro with i7 processor and it still runs very, very smooth. I've replaced the battery once ($80 from ebay) and will gladly replace the battery again if it goes again. This laptop can last me another 3-4 years EASY, and will be my longest running computer by quite a margin. I think previously, my longest lasting Windows laptop was ~ 5 years old, and it was really slow at the end of the 5 years I couldn't wait to get rid of it. Here I'm on my 5th year of my MBP and it handles everything I throw at it - including video processing, without missing a beat.

Whenever I have to upgrade my laptop again, I am getting myself another MBP. My wife has a MBA, also on its 5th year, and it is also going strong like day 1. And I wasn't a believer of Mac at all before I got these 2 Mac's.

Touchbar is irrelevant, but there's some merit in getting the latest hardware (as in processor, memory). I am running a 2012 Macbook pro with i7 processor and it still runs very, very smooth. I've replaced the battery once ($80 from ebay) and will gladly replace the battery again if it goes again. This laptop can last me another 3-4 years EASY, and will be my longest running computer by quite a margin. I think previously, my longest lasting Windows laptop was ~ 5 years old, and it was really slow at the end of the 5 years I couldn't wait to get rid of it. Here I'm on my 5th year of my MBP and it handles everything I throw at it - including video processing, without missing a beat.

Whenever I have to upgrade my laptop again, I am getting myself another MBP. My wife has a MBA, also on its 5th year, and it is also going strong like day 1. And I wasn't a believer of Mac at all before I got these 2 Mac's.

I don't know enough to make an informed opinion on the merits of either "ecosystem"; but aren't even Apple products nowadays have more or less some kind of "built-in" technological obsolescence? Do they have though still a pretty good resell value still (Apple products in general)?

I still have no idea why people pay a premium for apple's closed system that only works within itself.

google and android it up, folks.

I still have no idea why people pay a premium for apple's closed system that only works within itself.

I absolutely don't get people using iOS (other than security concerns perhaps). The homescreen, looks like someone just vomitted a bunch of icons; and don't get me started on notifications. I am part of a whatsapp group with friends and they've instituted a rule not to post three messages back to back to back. The notification system on iOS is a nightmare. Other than these, Android offers so much utlity that I often find myself just using my Samsung Tablet with Spen and my Google Pixel instead of my laptop.

On the other hand, I think OSx is far far superior to Windows. Before my mac broke after several years of hard use, I used the multi desktop function a lot, just haven't been able to do that smoothly on Windows 10. Also, Macs last you years and years. Windows machines, even expensive ones, just aren't reliable. I personally went through three surfaces and two HPs in 5 months (mostly due to ghost touches on the screen).

I'll keep buying Android, and will by a mac next year.

I prefer using a mac to a pc... honestly at this point may be old dog, new tricks. my enjoyment of my mac has decreased over time though. the simplicity and intuitiveness aren't really what they used to be.

Coze it simply refuses to die
My imac is over 10 yrs old and still doing things as before, spent 100 on SSD and it runs like new. These days you don’t need much power to do basic things - browse, play music, manage photo library or documents.
My 11 inch Air is over 5 years old and takes care of my travel needs due to size and weight. Also around the house as go to computer.
Building rig for home has one purpose - gaming which lots of ppl have no interest in or using consoles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back