• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT DEC 6 - CGY @ TOR 7:30 SN

I get making the team more defensively conscious, but you are asking a bunch of Ferraris to behave like Honda Accords. Have to loosen the purse strings and let these kids play and for God's sake start stacking some lines. Enough of this balance BS. We are wasting away top end talent and giving similar ice time to hacks like Tyler Bozak and Matt Martin.

I actually don't hate the lines at the end. Komo on the 4th and the 3 kids each carrying their own line.

but i doubt babs sticks with it.

That was easily the most annoying game to watch since Randy. Mind boggling.

Babcock whining about not being able to get through the neutral zone is rich. Well, Mike, if you fill each line with tools who can't pass ... guess what?

I've always figured coaches love plugs because they were plugs too. It's almost like they resent guys with buckets of skill and talent, as they never had any. Babsuck never even made it to pro hockey outside of England (yes, they had a pro league in the 80s). There's got to be a logic behind the treatment of WIlly. There's just got to be, however ****ed up it would be.

Marner was VERY bad defensively in OT. Every single time he didn't have the puck he got beat 1 on 1 cleanly, and then he just floats around the high slot instead of picking up the loose guy (who is loose because the D man has to cover the guy Marner lost) ... I never expected Marner to be a good defensive player but at least get yourself in front of the puck carrier to slow him down and cut down the angle. It was very frustrating cause it was an effort thing.

Otherwise a boring game where Freddie was amazing and we stole 2 points. I also can;t believe how many tripping / interference / takedowns that were not called in the game, especially late in the 3rd and in OT.

Very good defensive game, but obviously the lines are garbage.

Each of them has a guy who isn’t really cut out to play with the skilled guys anymore.

Hyman, Bozak, and Komarov. These guys should be our fourth line. They’re currently messing up the lines that they’re on. And while Brown is in a different category, he has no business being on the first line.

Marleau Matthews Marner
JVR Nylander Brown
Hyman Kadri Komarov
Martin Bozak Leivo/Sosh

Just load them up already.

Also, without exaggeration, I can’t recall ever seeing a game where our goalie was run this much. Not this season, not ever. It was a complete joke how Andersen was fair game. Not one ****ing penalty. ****ing refs.

But man was he amazing. Really loving him at the moment.

And Polak is atrocious. There is nothing positive happening for anyone when he’s on the ice.

Props to both Willy and Mitch for having awesome games. I can’t believe how many of our shots just missed the net. I think there were a dozen clear shots that went whizzing by, half of them by Willy. Gotta hit the net.

I wonder if Babs will be stubborn and sticks with Brown + Hyman on the same line ... it clearly wasn't working and Brown was just killing the first line.

I love the idea of MNM driving their own lines, but the other F's were all wrong. And as good as Nylander has been, giving him Moore and Martin just kills Nylander's chances. I'm good with Nylander driving the '4th line' if we get Leivo back though.

I'm never good with Nylander driving the fourth line, being a passenger on the fourth line, or any other ****ing thing relating to the fourth line.

Play your best players with your best players. This is not ****ing complicated.

I'm fine with Babcock sticking players like Marner & Nylander on the 4th line as kick-in-the-pants motivational tool.

But once their play picks up, move them the hell back up the lineup. And Nylander's been looking really good for the last few games, at least.

Not to mention that we've also had trouble scoring for pretty much the whole stretch Nylander's been on the 4th line.

[video=youtube;YSNyMm7mZm4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSNyMm7mZm4[/video]

I think our '4th line' doesn't have to be a 4th line though. We have enough offensive talent (especially if we call up Kapanen and put Leivo back in) to ice 4 offensive lines, so that we can split up the ES minutes more equally, and with PP times Nylander can be in the 17-19 min range even if he plays on the '4th line'

For example, we can go ...

Hyman - Matthews - Leivo
Marleau - Kadri - Brown
JVR - Bozak - Marner
Komarov - Nylander - Kap

As someone astutely pointed out the other day, with these combinations, we have two fourth lines.

The Nylander fourth line and the Matthews fourth line.

Self-sabotaging nonsense with these configurations.

Nylander had more ice time than Brown last night.

He was actually fourth among forwards, after Matthews, Kadri, and Marleau

I'm fine with Babcock sticking players like Marner & Nylander on the 4th line as kick-in-the-pants motivational tool.

But once their play picks up, move them the hell back up the lineup. And Nylander's been looking really good for the last few games, at least.

Not to mention that we've also had trouble scoring for pretty much the whole stretch Nylander's been on the 4th line.

The only game we didn't is when Nylander single handedly turned the 4th line into a 1st line.

Nylander had more ice time than Brown last night.

He was actually fourth among forwards, after Matthews, Kadri, and Marleau

All linemates matter.

Getting his icetime in is great, but I don't subscribe to that particular bit of Saskatchewan Science. Taking your shifts with Matt Martin and Dom Moore simply isn't an effective use of the ice time his skillset is given, regardless of how much it turns out to be in total ice time.

Back