• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Carolina @ LA 10:30 PM EST

Not only peeled away, but slo-mo replays showed the initial shot glancing off his trailing leg, deflecting it slightly left and upward to Darlings awkward right shoulder save instead of what he was set up for tracking the shooter.

So we're going to really look into ruining Aho? Sure he would be the best option as a playmaker up the middle for us... but that should spell more problem than solution. maybe I'm alone here on this but...

So we're going to really look into ruining Aho? Sure he would be the best option as a playmaker up the middle for us... but that should spell more problem than solution. maybe I'm alone here on this but...

I think "ruining Aho" is pushing it a bit ... in fact, quite a lot. The kid grew up playing center so this is only a tough ask in that he's got to compete against other NHL centers. Honestly, despite is stature, the kid has largely held his own physically in the league thus far. It's a tougher job than the wing, but he's pretty close to the best player on team and a natural center, so ...

And look, if this team has any chance of salvaging this season and avoiding the continuing damage to the marketplace that mediocrity has brung, it's WELL past time for desperate measures. Skinner was a center, Aho was a center, Teravainen was a center .... we've tried Turbo in this system, but not the other two and at some point, if you're Bill Peters, you have to ask yourself just what you've got to lose. He clearly doesn't trust Skinner as far as he can kick him for whatever reason, so ... the kid it is.

Secondarily ... could the acid test for our next coach, because that's pretty much inevitable, be to strap him in a room to watch 3 hours of tape of Skinner and then only hire a guy who likes what he sees. I've had it up to here with coaches who won't use our best goal scorer on the first danged power play unit ... or the first line for that matter.

Ok, fair enough. I agree, Skinner defininitely holds his own physically. And hands down the most creative player on this team. Its almost huge. But I digress. And, true, nobody else even has come close to doing anything you'd like to consistently see as a center. Aho pretty much does everything really damn good and a head that puts it all together at an elite level... all their skill aside, the reality is that none of Staal, Rask, Tuevo, Lindholm nor Skinner have been able to do anything remotely effective nor consistently when played at center.
Also... with the depth we have in the organization, I'm beginning to wonder if we are really better off with Ryan/Rask inneffectiveness... and why not bring in Kuokkanen in the center position from Charlotte?

Not the definition of imposing(smalling?), but I would think these lines would be better for us in the long run than the current crap we've seen ad nauseum. In this I see actually playmaking and scoring on the first two lines and a good bang and bash checking line with

Skinner Aho Williams
Tuevo Kuokkanen Lindholm
Di Giuseppe Staal McGinn/Stempniak/Ryan
Nordstrom Kruger Jooris

Again - this is something I think we could EASILY do. Right NOW. But it seems the org (new part owner aside) don't have any plans of making any desperate moves, no matter how much any of us think they needs to be made. Its beyond that. Its funny you say, but it really has come down to one or two players keeping my and I suspect mosts 'mild' interest in following the team.

I think for me, what is looking like the biggest mistake this year was actually officially endorsing Derek Ryan as our 3rd line center and giving him such big minutes on the PP. He doesn't have the size for this. In some ways, he's Chad Larose all over again.... just head scratching that we can't play him on the 4th line properly. We over stocked on 3rd and 4th liner roll players when we needed more specific depth that is still lacking. (down middle)

Or Lucas Wallmark. Sheesh come on Canes - shake it up. Rask needs a change of scenery and Ryan needs to no longer sniff the first 3 lines.

Or Lucas Wallmark. Sheesh come on Canes - shake it up. Rask needs a change of scenery and Ryan needs to no longer sniff the first 3 lines.

I'll say it for the 100th time ... Wallmark should be on the third line right now, if he's healthy.

Back