• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes at Sabres, 7PM

Boardwork

Let's see.

End of long West Coast trip. Opponent who stinks and played last night.

Final: 4-1 Buffalo

Consolation Prize: A miracle happens and Sam Reinhart flies back to Raleigh with his new team.

Darling single handedly loses this one, even though the Canes get shutout 3-0. Sound about right?

No morning skate today after a full practice yesterday. But Michael Smith said it looks like Ward starts tonight, so Darling will go tomorrow.

Different line combos in the top 9 too:

Williams/Staal/McGinn
Aho/Rask/Teravainen
Skinner/Ryan/Lindholm

1st round pick/1st round pick/2nd round pick
2nd round pick/2nd round pick/1st round pick
1st round pick/undrafted and unwanted for a long time/1st round pick

Ryan dupes Canes management by showing up on the scoresheet for a couple of games in a row every once in a while. I don't see the Canes ever taking him out of the lineup, although I will ask this question again....if Stempniak ever gets to a point where he is healthy enough to play at his baseline level, who comes out of the top 9?

It sure would be nice for the Canes to come out an bury someone. No not a quick 3 goal lead that you know is in danger the whole game, but an actual complete beatdown from beginning to end.

Canes are 27th on both the PP and PK now. This team never can put it all together. Awsome PK? Sucky 5v5 and PP. Better 5v5? Sucky PK and PP. The only constant I suppose is the sucky PP.

Here is another problem when it comes time to argue that Ryan should be gone:

Forwards PP points per PP minute

Teravainen 90:04 PP Mins 8 PPP = .089 Points per PP Minute
Aho 89:12 PP Mins 6 PPP = .067 Points per PP Minute
Lindholm 88:29 PP Mins 3 PPP = .034 Points per PP Minute
Staal 83:01 PP Mins 3 PPP = .036 Points per PP Minute
Williams 71:57 PP Mins 5 PPP = .069 Points per PP Minute
Skinner 71:39 PP Mins 4 PPP = .056 Points per pp Minute
Ryan 65:44 PP Mins 4 PPP = .061 Points per PP minute
Rask 61:58 PP Mins 3 PPP = .048 Points per PP minute

Basically Ryan is one of our most productive PP forwards. That isn't because he is any good (he's not) its just our other 'better' players have been epically bad on the PP.

All of those numbers above are just horrible. Let's pop up the Flyers, the team just ahead of us in the Metro:

Voracek 105:40 PP Mins 12 PPP = .113 Points per PP Minute
Giroux 105:37 PP Mins 10 PPP = .095 Points per PP Minute
Simmonds 101:43 Mins 7 PPP = .069 Points per PP Minute

We just suck on the PP. I would LOVE to see someone in Charlotte replace Ryan and see if they can improve the PP. Zykov already has EIGHT PP goals for Charlotte (tied for the AHL lead with Chris Terry). How about actually trying to change the personnel on the PP (that doesn't mean play PDG, Jooris, Kruger or Nordstrom on the PP). Heck we have an open roster spot, call Zykov up, slide Ryan down to line 4, put Zykov in there and see if he makes the PP any better. We can do this with any of our waiver exempt players. You know, actually honestly trying different personnel and seeing what happens.

Nope, more Derek Ryan folks. Good on faceoffs and less sucky numbers on the PP. He's locked for now.

JUST GET RID OF RYAN!!!

6-2 Canes....

Last edited:
Contemplating our top 9 if/when Stempniak returns is interesting. But there is plenty of room for him, although he fits into the same category as the others. Going down the list, who is in the top 9 of a legit contender:

Staal - Third Line
Williams - Third Line/Experience
McGinn- No (maybe 4th line), love the guy but still
Skinner - Yes
Lindholm - No
rask - No
Aho - Yes
Teuvo - No
Ryan - No
Stempniak - No

So I guess my take is who cares if he comes back and who cares who he replaces. If we are gonna do anything, a bigger change that that is needed

Contemplating our top 9 if/when Stempniak returns is interesting. But there is plenty of room for him, although he fits into the same category as the others. Going down the list, who is in the top 9 of a legit contender:

Staal - Third Line
Williams - Third Line/Experience
McGinn- No (maybe 4th line), love the guy but still
Skinner - Yes
Lindholm - No
rask - No
Aho - Yes
Teuvo - No
Ryan - No
Stempniak - No

So I guess my take is who cares if he comes back and who cares who he replaces. If we are gonna do anything, a bigger change that that is needed

Yeah ... I don't think that's fair to several players, but the overall point stands. Carolina's forward group is made up largely of third and fourth line players who are asked to slot up and make stuff happen. It isn't their fault that they aren't up to the task, it's the fault of the management team that keeps rolling out similar rosters with the same problems. Skinner and Aho are really the only legit offensive players, and yet Carolina's coaching staff STILL stumbles around not really knowing how to utilize Skinner ... which is a long running embarrassment so far as I'm concerned. Burying that guy on what amounts to a third line with an AHL center and putting him on the second PP unit ... I mean, that's just stupid. Yet no matter how Peters shuffles his deck, Skinner still ends up with the short end of the stick. Same with the doofus before him. #freeskinner

Stop moaning about it. How long did we have to endure Chad "eternally overslotted" LaRose? Nuff said.

There's nothing left to talk about if we can't "moan" about this crappy roster and the glaringly obvious fact that management either can't or won't fix it.

Stop moaning about it. How long did we have to endure Chad "eternally overslotted" LaRose? Nuff said.

Thought some of you may get a kick out of the news that Chad's brother Grant will be playing on my beer league team when our new season starts in January!

I'm sorry, but I hope I never get complacent about lack of talent on my team that is directly due to a business decision by the owner to spend only the minimum on salary budget.

Hence the overslotting as lesser talent plugs holes on the roster that otherwise would be solved by spending money on temporary veteran talent while the prospects grow into their britches.

Got a right to complain about that and will continue to complain about that. This emperor does not have nice clothes.

Sometimes I think our fixation on Ryan obscures the fact that he is producing beyond his level of capability. He's not the problem, here...he's the symptom of the problem. If the other higher-drafted players were playing up to their capacity, Ryan would be in the AHL. As for the PP - that's on the coaching, IMO.

Yeah ... I don't think that's fair to several players, but the overall point stands. Carolina's forward group is made up largely of third and fourth line players who are asked to slot up and make stuff happen. It isn't their fault that they aren't up to the task, it's the fault of the management team that keeps rolling out similar rosters with the same problems. Skinner and Aho are really the only legit offensive players, and yet Carolina's coaching staff STILL stumbles around not really knowing how to utilize Skinner ... which is a long running embarrassment so far as I'm concerned. Burying that guy on what amounts to a third line with an AHL center and putting him on the second PP unit ... I mean, that's just stupid. Yet no matter how Peters shuffles his deck, Skinner still ends up with the short end of the stick. Same with the doofus before him. #freeskinner

Fair enough...Lindholm and Teuvo could be top 9 if they produced consistently......and great top 9 guys at that....Rask, I've lost faith in. I'd love McGinn as a 4th liner on a playoff team.

Not to pick on Cmal---its my personal frusration talking---but I hope Ronnie doesn't look at this roster and say "we have no place for anyone new in our top line, except for replacing Ryan"

The Canes continue to like their overslotted, underperforming core---same story that we've had for--well pretty much forever

So yall know I agree and that comment was tongue and cheek right? So Canes will play good first part, be up by 1 and lose 4-2 to the Baffagoons. Ryan with 2 goals.

Back