• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

State of the Canes as we stare down 2018

Good point. How many times have they made the playoff since this organization existed? They were pretty bad in the 80's, and had a few playoff runs in the 90's/2000's from what I recall. Maybe they didn't win, but they were probably more competitive over the same time. Still, we DO have our cup.

Since losing to us in the 2002 ECF, the Leafs made the playoffs 4 times, 02-03, 03-04, 12-13 and 16-17.

So guys and girls if I get banned, it brassbonanza. Apparently asking someone who've we've been on this board for how long, how long a fan on the different boards, to "lighten up" after getting an 'infraction' for stating my opninion, is a no no? Seriously, go ahead and ban me. Just make sure you own up to your over reacting. Cheers and merry christmas

Being 3 points out of a playoff spot throughout the season, year after year, pays its toll and has started wearing thin. Winning always helps with positivity, so as we see more winning maybe the board will follow and be kinder and gentler. Even though the team won tonight I still see a need to win the next 2 of 3 to get at least to a Wild Card spot before this attitude ship begins to turn around.

Best wishes and a Merry Christmas to all. :)

So guys and girls if I get banned, it brassbonanza. Apparently asking someone who've we've been on this board for how long, how long a fan on the different boards, to "lighten up" after getting an 'infraction' for stating my opninion, is a no no? Seriously, go ahead and ban me. Just make sure you own up to your over reacting. Cheers and merry christmas

Nobody is getting banned. But calling out a moderator isn’t a good look. And you’ve been around long enough to know that name calling isn’t tolerated either.

And you're not the only one who 'leads with hope and optimism' buddy. Trust me. But its like the abusive family member - at a certain point, you just don't buy the lies anymore. My life is great, family is great, always look for solutions and don't focus on problems. So you're preaching to the choir. Still, with regards to optimism and the Canes? That left the building at least 5 seasons ago!

We can be optimistic and disappointed, negative at the same time. Either way - smiling and bearing it, or complaining hasn't changed a thing. So, we can bloody well continue complaining if we feel like it or adopt a 'Tripp view' on everything Canes related.

Or.... "Rush - Freewill." :)

They played a great game sure. And pardon my negativity - but now expecting them to get lambasted by the Sabres.

You can't blame precedent and until the org fixes all the holes and that results in a... cough... what is that term again - right - playoffs...? Please, we can moan all we want. Nobody is forcing you to do anything, and unless we are lacking respect to each other, I think this is what fans do.

Let's leave space for openess and frankness on this forum yeah? Sheesh

Haha leave space for openness but your post has to be edited because of abusive language and insults... nice!

I was going to start a separate thread with this post, but as I thought of potential titles I kept concluding that each would evoke a harsher reaction than I intended, so I'll just add it to the "State of the Canes" thread...

Like most of you, I am frustrated after nine seasons without playoffs, especially given how much financial and emotional support I've given this franchise over the past 20 years. Like most of you, I am seriously questioning whether Bill Peters has what it takes to be an NHL coach. Like most of you, I am disappointed that nothing has been done to address the lack of a top-line center, which I believe represents this team's most glaring weakness. And like most of you, even with some of the team's obvious weaknesses, I am disappointed that they have not racked up more points at this point of the season.

All of the said, however, I am exhausted by all of the negativity I see each day when visiting this board. I am not criticizing anyone for expressing such negativity or asking anyone to stop doing so--this is, after all, an Internet message board and negativity and complaining goes with the territory--but I am also exercising my right to proclaim that I'm tired of it. While some could argue that maintaining a positive outlook only sets you up for disappointment, it is how I prefer to lead my life. I hope that those who have a similar philosophy are more encouraged to express hope and optimism than they have been lately.

We are only three points out of a playoff spot with a game in hand. We have thus far played a disproportionate amount of our schedule on the road. We have exciting young players in Aho, Lindholm, Hanifin, Teravainen, Fleury, Slavin and Pesce who I firmly believe will only get better with time. We have exciting young talent in the pipeline. We have a ton of cap space. We play in an attractive, well-maintained facility where we don't have to fork over a week's pay to see NHL hockey. And best of all, we will be addressing the biggest obstacle to our team's success--an underfunded owner--within the next few months.

I am realistic about our chance to win another Cup within the next few years. That said, I choose to be optimistic that the future of the Carolina Hurricanes will be much brighter than the recent past. I hope you join me.

Happy holidays to you all.

Since there's not a like option, I had to reply with quote. I agree with you HK. I understand people being frustrated, based on previous seasons etc., but these guys are actually getting pretty decent results of late and haven't dug a huge hole early in the season. It's a very young team, with a lot of young players to be excited about, and now we have new ownership coming in that should be able to take out the biggest hurdle that's been holding us back for years. The team has hung around points wise so far this season while not playing as well as we know they can. If they get it together and start playing closer to their potential, they will likely see better results.

Merry Christmas!

For the record (which you can see if you read my original post), I never requested that anyone back off of the negativity. All I said was that I was tired of it, I would maintain my optimistic outlook and that I encouraged others who felt like me to express some positivity.

P.S. We’ve won five of our last six.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For the record (which you can see if you read my original post), I never requested that anyone back off of the negativity. All I said was that I was tired of it, I would maintain my optimistic outlook and that I encouraged others who felt like me to express some positivity.

P.S. We’ve won five of our last six.

And equally for the record, I'm backing off on the big picture screeds from here out. Not because I'm happy with the big picture, but rather ... as Kurtzie correctly points out ... because it's sucking the oxygen out of the room while the boys are playing halfway competent hockey. Not my intention at all, as I was focused on the long view not the day to day, game to game issues.

Go ahead and assume that I'm not happy with the return on my annual investment on this team, but also go ahead and assume that's because of long term issues and not because I'm just happy being miserable or anything. Winning cures most things. I just wish I could convince myself that it will last ...

I think the test for me is how the guys play against Montreal tomorrow night. Come out flat to a holiday home crowd on something that's televised in a big hockey market, then I'm back to thinking we really have a team that can't self motivate and lacks a warrior/killer instinct. Begging the lads to prove me wrong!

I think the test for me is how the guys play against Montreal tomorrow night. Come out flat to a holiday home crowd on something that's televised in a big hockey market, then I'm back to thinking we really have a team that can't self motivate and lacks a warrior/killer instinct. Begging the lads to prove me wrong!

I think any test that is based on one game is an insufficient test.

Every team puts on a stinker now and then; as has been pointed out here many times, the Cup-winning team had a nine-game win streak come to an end with a 9-0 home loss to the Thrashers. (I witnessed it in person, and trust me, it was ugly!)

Similarly, even the crappiest teams turn in near-perfect performances once or twice a season.

We have three games over the next four nights, including a trip to play one of the best teams in the league in St. Louis, the night after we face the Pens at home. Three points would be disappointing, four points would be solid. Less than three points would suggest we're not ready to take the next step and more than four would be extremely encouraging.

Taking a longer view, we have six games over the next 11 nights. We need to average 1.17 points per game for the rest of the reason to be reasonably confident to make the playoffs. That means seven points over those six games.

Young teams are often inconsistent. In October, November we were blowing third period leads at an alarming rate. Quite the opposite over this last little run. That is what needs to keep trending, to be able to play with the lead and close teams out.

Wow, I'm away for a nice 8 day Christmas break to Colorado and all hell breaks loose in here...so much for the goodwill with the season...:smilewinkgrin:

I see both sides of the opinion and I am the first to admit that at times my negativity in here can be a tad over the top. Having said that, this team and organization has pretty much pushed me away with the losing and the bonehead type moves and penny pinching over the past several years. I was at one time a season ticket holder, a rabid fan that attended each and every playoff game in 2002, 2006 and 2009. I spent a large chunk of change on this team over the years and enjoyed so many fond memories that I will always cherish. I was also a youth hockey coach in the area for 5 years, and I must admit that some of my negativity towards the owner and the org stems from the fact that they really should have tried harder and spent a lot more money to invest in facilities and youth hockey in this area to grow the game better for the younger generation of hockey fans in this area. I want this team here for the long haul, but I'm frustrated by the losing and the cheapness that has been shown in some key areas of this team and organization. Here's hoping the new owner recognizes some of this org's shortcomings and addresses those issues for a long term successful product on the ice and off.

Agreed. I get enough of the one game referendum stuff being a State fan. Let's please not start that stuff here.

Ummm... I said that the test for me-- not anyone else. I wanted to see the team come out of the gate ready to play and not look like they were having a Christmas break hangover. Neither team had an opportunity to practice and Montreal had to travel on 12/27/17. It was a legit test as far as I am concerned-- the advantage was to the Canes and I expected them to use it.

Tonight’s win against the Pens gives us 43 points in 37 games, a 1.16 point-per-game pace that projects to 95 points over a full season. Per sportsclubstats.com, we now have a 46% chance of making the playoffs.

Back