• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

State of the Canes as we stare down 2018

Here's an anti-one-game referendum. With the Buffalo Bills making the NFL playoffs today, there are only two teams in the 4 major professional sports leagues with a longer playoff drought than the Hurricanes....the Minnesota Timberwolves and the Seattle Mariners.

Well, I came in expecting all fluffy puppies and Jeffbear ruins the whole (polar's word) thing.

:)

for real though, it's good to see some analysis again. :party:

Well, I came in expecting all fluffy puppies and Jeffbear ruins the whole (polar's word) thing.

:)

for real though, it's good to see some analysis again. :party:

Sorry dude. I mean, as of right now they're in the playoffs ... so woo hoo, I guess.

LOL. LTNS.

Playoffs would be a good start for sure. Finally gonna get to see'm play against the B's in a few das, time to break out the gear.

LOL. LTNS.

Playoffs would be a good start for sure. Finally gonna get to see'm play against the B's in a few das, time to break out the gear.

Gonna go with that sweet Francis 21 sweater?

cough, cough ... you can borrow mine if you want :0)

Finally gonna get to see'm play against the B's in a few das, time to break out the gear.

Maybe not...

Tonight's Bruins game with the Panthers has been postponed. Canes might not be flying into Beantown until tomorrow morning instead of after the game tonight.

I guess I apologize for being so negative then, but I'm only being honest. I see the same old pattern that I've seen for going on five years now and it ticks me off that nobody in management is doing anything about it. I take next to no pleasure out of watching this team play. I enjoy watching a couple of individual players ply their trade, but that's about it. And again, this has been the case for a long, long time.
My level of frustration would be different if I wasn't sinking several thousand dollars a year into what is objectively an inferior product.

You guys carry on and I'll go back to sniping on the sidelines the way I was doing earlier this season.

My favorite line from "Saving Private Ryan"

Captain Miller: Reiben, pay attention. Now, this is the way to gripe. Continue, Jackson.

It's a specific type of negativity that is ruining this board for me. It's the pissing and moaning like a four year old without offering a hint of a suggestion for what we could do better.

Complaints are necessary and I don't want to mess with anyone's God given right to be a whinny *******. I come here to see what's happening with the Canes and read posts from many people who clearly know the game and offer opinions that I enjoy reading and often think about when I'm bored.

I'd pay to read these opinions. I even feel bad for dropping in my nonsense with so many learned hockey fans around. (I just want to be in with the cool kids,so party at my house?!?)

I'm just sick of the whiners. I get it. You're not happy. What can the team do to make you happy?

Here's an anti-one-game referendum. With the Buffalo Bills making the NFL playoffs today, there are only two teams in the 4 major professional sports leagues with a longer playoff drought than the Hurricanes....the Minnesota Timberwolves and the Seattle Mariners.

The Timberwolves are looking like a lock to make the playoffs this year, so let's hope the year ends with the Mariners firmly as the sole owners of this crappy drought!

As much as I kvetch, I do have a very positive thought regarding the Canes. Specifically, this is the first time in many years the Canes have been in control of their destiny. Right now they hold a wild card spot and their play has been very good. They are not dependent on another team to get into the playoffs nor are they looking to back into a slot. They have earned their spot with their play and now have to keep it. That's all we've ever wanted and it's pretty fun to see.

The Timberwolves are looking like a lock to make the playoffs this year, so let's hope the year ends with the Mariners firmly as the sole owners of this crappy drought!

I don't think that the original statement by perfectstormhits is correct. I don't believe the Browns have been in the playoffs since 2002. So after this year there will still be at least 2 teams with longer droughts than the hurricanes.

That's all we've ever wanted and it's pretty fun to see.

I don't know about everybody else, but I want a team that can contend in the Division, not one that's clinging to the last playoff spot. Your larger point stands. Baby steps.

I'm waiting for this team to stop thinking about "Oh!...we're playing a good team tonight" and instead start thinking "Oh, we're playing one of the good teams like ourselves tonight".

I do like the coaching focus on playing our game more so than reacting to another team's game. Leads to them eventually having to deal with us instead of us dealing with them.

There have been teams that routinely came into our arena through the years and handled us well playing their style and caring little for how we played ours. I want to be one of those teams.

Let them worry about playing us instead of us worrying about playing them.

I don't think that the original statement by perfectstormhits is correct. I don't believe the Browns have been in the playoffs since 2002. So after this year there will still be at least 2 teams with longer droughts than the hurricanes.

If I was wrong, so was the NFL Redzone last Sunday when the Bills got in.

Let them worry about playing us instead of us worrying about playing them.

Flip side of that being, we're not going to be seeing as many backup goalies for awhile. And teams might actually scout us to try and find a way to defend somebody other than Skinner and Aho.

I'm always amused by the Christmas bar depiction of our season found on the team's splash page at Hockey Reference (scroll down a bit to Game Results) where our wins are green bars and our losses are red bars with the goal differential determining length of bar.

This visual depiction drives home just how atrocious some of those losses were, disproportionately contributing to our negative GF/GA differential, something rarely seen among playoff teams.

Will probably take some equally big wins to undo some of those stinkers. But makes me feel a bit better about our red number among all the green number contenders when I keep this graphic in mind.

Needs fixing, to be sure. But isn't it purty when all the bad numbers turn into pictures? :sarcasm

Last edited:
Back