• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

State of the Canes as we stare down 2018

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
OK ... let's take a step back and examine the Carolina Hurricanes franchise on a macro level as we roll out of a VERY bad year for the franchise and in to a year that at least has the promise of fresh ownership. I'm going to go top down with some thoughts. Feel free to pile on with your own or point out areas you think I'm getting wrong.

Ownership
OK ... this kind of has to be trending up, right? Karmanos ran out of ready cash years ago and has been systematically running the franchise into as bottomless a pit of debt as he could con various and sundry financial institutions into letting him ... including taking annual short term loans against the Canes NHL television rights, which is pretty much the biggest of financial red flags. So, enough of that crap ... enter Tom Dundon presumably riding out of the sunset on a white horse, since he's a Texan. Or whatever. Color me skeptical about his interest and experience in sports because up to this point all he's done in sports is twofold: 1. Speculative investing in a stupid 3 tier jazzed up golf range concept that most real golfers I know hate. 2. building one of those big budget, big profile golf courses designed to draw big time pro tournaments and landing one of the same. I mean, pardon me, but whoopee doo. None of that has anything to do with the long term care and feeding of a professional team sports franchise, so spare me the sales pitch on his sports savvy. One is left to HOPE a few things ... that he will find or develop some passion for the sport of hockey and the Raleigh market, and that he will actually look to compete ... which will mean annual investment out of his own pocket, at least in the short to medium term future.

So, I'm calling this one "OK, but with more than one caveat pending."

Management
You know where I stand on Francis as GM. He's proven exactly nothing to me other than he's more cautious than a little old lady trying to get through airport security with a walker and two titanium hips. But let's start with Waddell instead ... a man who has one skill set as a manager - running sinking ships. You can argue the merits of his scheme to go with no mass ticket discounts for this season, but I actually like it if for no other reason than it fails to flatter with BS. The attendance is how many ever intrepid souls paid cold, hard American currency or the plastic equivalent for a ticket. Good. Other than that, it's much the same crew that worked for Rutherford which is hardly shocking given the way this franchise's offices have always been run. So, you've been here for 2 years? Cool ... wanna job for life? They should get a plaque made and hang it next to the front door.

And Francis? He hasn't had any money, give him a chance, etc. Sorry guys. The train left and Ronnie's courage went with it. He can't even be bothered to fire a coach who clearly lost his way months and months ago. So cautious, so calculating ... TOO cautious and TOO calculating. Thanks for kinda sorta rebuilding the farm system. Of course you're too inert to notice when a kid in that system might be worth a look see with the big club in an effort to ... I don't know .... WIN SOME EXPLETIVE DELETED GAMES. Ronnie seems to think his job is about something other than winning NHL games. It's not.

Bottom line ... the corporate culture on Edwards Mill Rd sucks. It has never felt like it had anything in common with the community around it with the exception of the brief period of time when Jim Cain was involved and at least gave good lip service about giving a crap about fans and "corporate partners." So, I'm calling this one ... "we welcome the purge that surely is coming."

Coaching Staff
I'll make an effort not to be reactionary, but it's not easy. We've all witnessed this staff flail around with less than a great roster with which to work. I get it. I also get that it's been a Groundhog's Day of Suck around here since Peters took over the bench. Same crap, different month. Pattern after pattern repeats in an endless loop like Victorian wallpaper and we just sit here watching. Based in past efforts, I believe that Steve Smith has something to offer as a defensive assistant. I haven't seen Brindy work outside of this system but nothing he's supposed to be in charge of ever changes or gets better, so ... ugh. I can't even remember the new goaltending guy's name, for which, frankly, he should be greatful. Peters should have been fired in October.

Calling this one "kill it in the face with fire" ... except Brindy. Let him down easy.

Replacement ... any recycled track suit you can find who has ever actually coached in the NHL and thus might have the shared of a clue of how to do the job. Do NOT hire some lifetime assistant with a notebook full of dreams and big ideas. We can't afford it again. In 20 years this franchise has hired ONE guy who actually man aged to get hired by another NHL team to be a head coach. He won the Cup.

Players
From the mile high view, it ain't pretty folks. We don't have a legit NHL goalie or even an heir apparent. We've got some decent young D but they're under too much pressure and look to be cracking more and more frequently. We've got Aho and Skinner and a bunch other guys who show up when they feel like it. We've got a few fairly promising prospects. That's it. The pro list is REALLY short. On the upside, you could blow this up and start over at the absolute drop of a hat. There are some decent spare parts to leverage and you don't have more than 3-4 guys that you really need to hang on to for market continuity. This bonfire is prepped to burn. Somebody call Guy Fawkes.

Last edited:
Not to make an excuse but remember that to fire a coach the owner has to sign off on that since it means you will pay both the old and new guy at the same time. Of course we don't know if Karmanos was asked to OK a coaching change, maybe he vetoed that idea for cost reasons. Or maybe he was never asked.

As far as the new owner not being involved in sports , it's not like guys are banging down the door to buy the team. Greenberg has other teams but lacked money.

Also the new owner is paying $450 mil for the team. I would think with that outlay he really would want to find ways to increase revenues and one easy way to do that is to win. Unless he's dumb and I don't think he is.

Last edited:
One comment on Top Golf. The golfers I know love it and wish we had one here. According to one that looked into it, it's a money maker.

Other than that, I agree with what you said JB.

Not to make an excuse but remember that to fire a coach the owner has to sign off on that since it means you will pay both the old and new guy at the same time. Of course we don't know if Karmanos was asked to OK a coaching change, maybe he vetoed that idea for cost reasons. Or maybe he was never asked.

As far as the new owner not being involved in sports , it's not like guys are banging down the door to buy the team. Greenberg has other teams but lacked money.

I get both points. I'm past blaming every time Francis doesn't do something on Karmanos. If that's the real problem then Ronnie is nuts not to quit this job and go find something productive to do with his time.

And I'm only downplaying the presumptive new owner's level of experience in the sports world because I've seen a lot made of it. IMO it's meagre ... but that means nothing if he engages here in Raleigh. It means a ton if he treats this as some sort of arm's length investment, however.

One comment on Top Golf. The golfers I know love it and wish we had one here. According to one that looked into it, it's a money maker.

Other than that, I agree with what you said JB.

Top Golf is a love it or hate it kind of thing with golfers. Fair point

how many pro team owners have a lot of experience in sports ? Obviously you have guys like Jordan who is a hall of famer. But like I said before people with this kind of money are not easy to find to be an owner . Steve Ballmer for the Clippers and Paul Allen of the Seahawks and Trailblazers made billions from Microsoft but I don't think they had sports experience before buying the teams.

I get both points. I'm past blaming every time Francis doesn't do something on Karmanos. If that's the real problem then Ronnie is nuts not to quit this job and go find something productive to do with his time.

And I'm only downplaying the presumptive new owner's level of experience in the sports world because I've seen a lot made of it. IMO it's meagre ... but that means nothing if he engages here in Raleigh. It means a ton if he treats this as some sort of arm's length investment, however.

To be fair, if there is no money then Francis is pretty limited in terms of what he could do, and, not necessarily nuts if he knew the plan was to sell the team and that at some point, he'd have money to spend.

I think it's fair to feel the talent level needs improved. On the other hand, this team is underperforming even when you take that into consideration. I think we need a change behind the bench - or several of them.

I don't give RF a pass - I just don't think we have any way to fairly judge his performance given the limitations we suspect were/are in place.

It could be Francis wanted to stick around to see what a new owner could do . Of course he also knows the new owner could show him the door.

I don't see a new owner, much less one at 52% with a 48% partner, firing the current GM. Maybe Waddell and put his own business person in the slot. But not the hockey person in charge. Nothing blatantly wrong with that aspect of the org that would appear to need an immediate fix, at least from new owner's perspective. Got to believe Karmanos is fine with Francis. So probably no change there.

I can see new ownership, and perhaps even old ownership, being interested in making a coaching change. If Karmanos was involved in the Peters decision (and I bet he was), then that might have been driven by his Detroit fandom and wanting that system played here.

However, IF Dundon has watched any hockey at all prior to buying a hockey team, it was probably in the Dallas market where he has at least seen experienced NHL head coaches behind that bench: Gainey, Hitchcock (twice), Tippett, Crawford, Ruff. No assistant coach tryouts going on there.

Perhaps he will insist on the genuine article for the next coaching hire.

Ownership - Was a D, now is an incomplete

Biz mgmt - D --while protecting STH is good, they still have not clue how to cultivate a fan base and corporate sponsors (and that includes the STHs they are "protecting")

Hockey Mgmt - C- - while hamstrung by ownership, RF has shown little creativity and no decisiveness. He also continues to make mistakes in an effort to fix the goaltending. He's made a few moves I like, but it feels like they require other puzzle pieces that he either doesn't play or can't play.

Head Coaching - F ---he's a joke

Assistants - C, i'll give them a bit of a pass as it goes back to the system they are operating in.

I'm not totally convinced our farm system is rebuilt. The org consistently overvalues and overslots players. I suspect we have a legion of players that will forever be overslotted.

With some spending though, 3 pieces that move everyone down a line and things could get interesting quickly.

A positive. Think of the cherkers team when the canes sent some down after getting some nhl players.

how many pro team owners have a lot of experience in sports ? Obviously you have guys like Jordan who is a hall of famer. But like I said before people with this kind of money are not easy to find to be an owner . Steve Ballmer for the Clippers and Paul Allen of the Seahawks and Trailblazers made billions from Microsoft but I don't think they had sports experience before buying the teams.

Most successful team sports owners at least have shown some passion for the sport itself even if they have no experience in team sports ownership. It's my understanding that Dundon really isn't engaged in hockey at all. That concerns me.

If it doesn't concern anyone else, then so be it. But what I fear most is Karmanos continuing to run the show from the shadows, thus continuing the current failed management cycle.

Yeah, I worry about that a bit. As long as Karmanos is around...well, Karmanos is around.

On the flip side Karmanos is 100% into hockey and what good has that done lately? You could probably go to a local rink and find a player at random who could guide the team just as well as Karmanos if he was given the same budget.

30 or 40 years ago teams were not worth these high amounts and it was possible for a local guy or group to buy the team because he was into the sport. Those days are long gone.

Replacement ... any recycled track suit you can find who has ever actually coached in the NHL and thus might have the shared of a clue of how to do the job. Do NOT hire some lifetime assistant with a notebook full of dreams and big ideas. We can't afford it again. In 20 years this franchise has hired ONE guy who actually man aged to get hired by another NHL team to be a head coach. He won the Cup.

Not to be a jerk, but Maurice was hired by the Leafs and Jets after leaving the Canes. Not sure where Kirk Muller is, but we HAVE had only four different head coaches since '97...

Not to be a jerk, but Maurice was hired by the Leafs and Jets after leaving the Canes. Not sure where Kirk Muller is, but we HAVE had only four different head coaches since '97...

Muller is an associate coach with the Habs.

Back