• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018 World Junior Championship

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The World Juniors get underway today from Buffalo. The US is the defending champions. Most games will be broadcast on the NHL Network. The US-Canada game on Friday will be played outdoors at New Era Field. The Canes have 3 players in the tournament. Martin Necas plays for the Czech Republic, Jake Bean for Canada and Janne Kuokkanen for Finland. Eetu Luostarinen was one of the last cuts for Finland.

https://www.nhl.com/news/full-2018-wjc-schedule/c-285053118?tid=281266438

Last edited:
The outdoor game between Canada and the US will start at 3PM today.

What a great scene...frigid cold and snow! Also, I love how Team USA is wearing jerseys and socks that look like the Bills' uniform. Unfortunately, they are being outplayed by Canada so far.

Marty Necas with 2 assists in regulation and what turned out to be the winning shootout deciding goal to give the Czech Republic a quarterfinals win over Kuokkanen and the Finns.

Necas has had a very nice tournament from start to finish so far!

Marty Necas with 2 assists in regulation and what turned out to be the winning shootout deciding goal to give the Czech Republic a quarterfinals win over Kuokkanen and the Finns.

Kuokkanen did not have a good tournament.

Through the Quarters Necas is tied with Mittelstadt for the overall points lead with 9.

Canada won a REALLY good final against Sweden, who had managed to make it that far without a loss. Late winner, tight game ... it was a fun watch.

The US finished third by walloping the Czechs 9-3. Didn't watch that one.

Martin Necas finished second in the tourney in points with 11 in 7 games but finished minus 5 thanks in part to the lopsided bronze medal game. I think he shone brightest of the Canes players in the tourney. Jake Bean was OK for Canada, but was mostly on the third pairing and the second power play. He finished with 3 assists and no goals. Kuokkanen had a bland tourney for the Finns, who struggled. A couple of assists, but at least he finished with a plus rating.

Canada won a REALLY good final against Sweden, who had managed to make it that far without a loss. Late winner, tight game ... it was a fun watch.

The US finished third by walloping the Czechs 9-3. Didn't watch that one.

Martin Necas finished second in the tourney in points with 11 in 7 games but finished minus 5 thanks in part to the lopsided bronze medal game. I think he shone brightest of the Canes players in the tourney. Jake Bean was OK for Canada, but was mostly on the third pairing and the second power play. He finished with 3 assists and no goals. Kuokkanen had a bland tourney for the Finns, who struggled. A couple of assists, but at least he finished with a plus rating.

The speed of that game was impressive to watch! Sweden had a great team and outshot Canada badly, tough loss for Sweden with a team that was pretty solid all the way around.

The speed of that game was impressive to watch! Sweden had a great team and outshot Canada badly, tough loss for Sweden with a team that was pretty solid all the way around.

Yeah ... the announcers were fawning over the Canadian keeper, Hart, but honestly the Swedes pulled a Hurricanes and took a million low percentage shots while I thought that the Canadians managed to get more dangerous scoring chances. Still ... wonderful game filled with end to end action and real intent. I loved it.

Back