• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs Legend Johnny Bower Dies at 93

Leafs136

Sad day. Before my time but he was always a great ambassador for the team. He will surely be missed.

As per TSN:

Toronto Maple Leafs' Hall of Fame goaltender Johnny Bower has passed away at age 93.

Bower's son John released a statement from the family saying their father passed away after a short battle with pneumonia.

The legendary goalie won four Stanley Cups and was in the Toronto net the last time the Leafs won the championship in 1967.

Nicknamed "The China Wall", Bower played 15 seasons in the NHL, including 12 with the Maple Leafs between 1954-70. He recorded 219 career wins, with a 2.49 goals against average and won two Vezina trophies.

He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1976.

https://www.tsn.ca/maple-leafs-legend-bower-passes-away-at-93-1.952846

Very sad news. I'm happy he was part of the team throughout his life. Multiple generations are fans of Johnny Bower.

Well, he wasn't before my time. As a lifetime Habs fan who watched Bower pretty much every Saturday night and playoffs from 1961 til the end of his career,I'll say this. He was,bar none, the greatest goalie I ever saw. I don't think I ever saw him have a bad game,till maybe when he was too old to see the puck his last year or so. Huge in the clutch . Although he's in the Hall of fame, I'm not sure he gets the recognition he deserves. I shed more than one tear watching him win....R.I.P.

Sad news. Just his name brings back many pleasant memories of my younger years. Every Saturday night sitting with the family in front of the black and white TV, enjoying a bowl of popcorn and a coke, and watching the Leafs.

RIP to a standout goaltender and even better person. Just the kind of guy you'd want around a growing group of young stars.

johnny_bower.jpg.size.custom.crop.833x650.jpg

Back