• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Liverpool has agreed a £75 million fee with Southampton for center back Virgil Van Dijk. That’s £15 million more than Liverpool’s bid last summer. It shatters the record price that Man City paid for Benjamin Mendy last summer. It also nets Celtic a tidy profit, with a 10% sell on agreement.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42496637

Southampton needed more than VVD at the back anyway, so they at least have a jump on going out and building defensive depth, but judging on attitude, I think maybe they need a coaching change to go with it.

Liverpool has agreed a £75 million fee with Southampton for center back Virgil Van Dijk. That’s £15 million more than Liverpool’s bid last summer. It shatters the record price that Man City paid for Benjamin Mendy last summer. It also nets Celtic a tidy profit, with a 10% sell on agreement.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42496637

Thank you, thank you very much.

Celtic are likely to be forced to sell along several guys off of the senior roster either this January or over the summer. Literally every dime helps.

Alexis Sanchez is off to Man U, essentially traded for Henrikh Mkhitaryan.

Mkhitaryan is WAY better than he's ever shown in Manchester. He was a force on the wing for Dortmund and Shakhtar. No way that was a fluke because a lot of it was against top competition. Hopefully a change of scenery will do that guy a world of good. Sanchez is what he is ... he could play anywhere in any system and he'd still be the same.

Mkhitaryan is WAY better than he's ever shown in Manchester. He was a force on the wing for Dortmund and Shakhtar. No way that was a fluke because a lot of it was against top competition. Hopefully a change of scenery will do that guy a world of good. Sanchez is what he is ... he could play anywhere in any system and he'd still be the same.

And if Arsenal can also snag Aubameyang from Dortmund, he and Mkhitaryan played well off each other.

Deadline day deals:

Arsenal sign Aubameyang for 56 million pounds. However, he's ineligible for the Europa Leauge as he's already played for Dortmund who dropped from the UCL to the UEL.
Spurs sign Lucas Moura from PSG for 28 million Euros.
Chelsea sign Olivier Giroud from Arsenal for an 18 month contract and a 16.25 million pound fee.
Mathieu Debuchy leaves Arsenal on a free to St. Etienne
Chelsea loan Michy Batshuayi to Dortmund
Everton loan Sandro Ramierz to Sevilla
Andre Ayew is having a medical at Swansea ahead of a move back from West Ham
Islam Slimani leaves Leicester for Newcastle.
Man City sign Aymeric Laporte from Athletic Bilbao for 57 million pounds

Everton were also chasing a loan deal for Eliaquim Mangala from Man City but no word if it was completed.

Arsenal also sign Mesut Ozil to a contract extension through June 2021 that will pay him 350k pounds per week.

I could be wrong, but I've got a feeling that Arsenal will regret that ransom they just paid for Aubameyang.

I could be wrong, but I've got a feeling that Arsenal will regret that ransom they just paid for Aubameyang.

He did sulk his way out of Dortmund. But you can't say Wenger isn't splashing the cash around anymore. I'm also not sure about spending 350k per week on Ozil. When he's on, he's great. But he's also invisible too often.

He did sulk his way out of Dortmund. But you can't say Wenger isn't splashing the cash around anymore. I'm also not sure about spending 350k per week on Ozil. When he's on, he's great. But he's also invisible too often.

Not only the sulking ... he just flat out wasn't that good for Dortmund after they pretty much handed him the keys to the offense early this season.

Not only the sulking ... he just flat out wasn't that good for Dortmund after they pretty much handed him the keys to the offense early this season.

So now Arsenal has 2 #9s and 2 #10s. Wenger’s Squad choices and tactical formations are going to be interesting.

They just traded one head case for another. Wenger's gotten to where he just looks at pieces and not at the unit.

Back