• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Penguins 12/29 7:30

Thoughts:

- 17K in the building seemed to completely flummox the parking and traffic crews. They were routing traffic in ways I have NEVER seen in 18 years of attending games at the arena. God help us all if attendance actually picks up.

- Ryan's goaltender interference call was fair. He got a piece of Jarry's head prior to the defenseman's contact with him, and I would have been angry if the Canes hadn't gotten the call had the situations been reversed. Of course, the Canes have been screwed out of so many legit interference calls over the last two years that I think our crowd is a bit jaded. It's yet another rule ... like icing and slashing ... that the NHL simply doesn't enforce with any consistency.

- Great to get the win and further confuse Pens fans who are clearly reeling with the thought that they aren't very good right now. All the swagger, half the points. It's the Diet Pens.

- I'm hearing a lot of "great game" comments, but ... I mean, OK. The third period had some flow to it, but the rest was choppy as heck with both teams struggling to maintain possession.

- Carolina HAS to do something to change things up on the power play. HAS to.

- Both Malkin and Crosby seemed reluctant to engage physically, which isn't like them at all. Both of them generally get in the crease and mix it up but both were content to try and make plays from the edges of the fray and to snipe from distance. I think that's a big chunk of Pittsburgh's problem right now. The rest of their scorers rely on the chaos that those two create when they get into the mix and put the defense under real pressure. As good as Slavin was in checking Crosby last night, he mostly just shut him down using a simple sweep check with his stick ... you know, the one that Hanifin thinks he's good enough to get away with but isn't. I don't recall Crosby driving into his body more than once or twice in the whole game. But whatever ... those guys can, as always, suck it.

Their playing makes one wonder if the change in ownership, which happens to coincide with their streak, isn’t the cause of their momentum.

If we learned anything from The Last Jedi, it's that hope is a powerful thing.

I'm hearing a lot of "great game" comments, but ... I mean, OK. The third period had some flow to it, but the rest was choppy as heck with both teams struggling to maintain possession.

- Carolina HAS to do something to change things up on the power play. HAS to.

- Both Malkin and Crosby seemed reluctant to engage physically, which isn't like them at all. Both of them generally get in the crease and mix it up but both were content to try and make plays from the edges of the fray and to snipe from distance. I think that's a big chunk of Pittsburgh's problem right now. The rest of their scorers rely on the chaos that those two create when they get into the mix and put the defense under real pressure. As good as Slavin was in checking Crosby last night, he mostly just shut him down using a simple sweep check with his stick ... you know, the one that Hanifin thinks he's good enough to get away with but isn't. I don't recall Crosby driving into his body more than once or twice in the whole game. But whatever ... those guys can, as always, suck it.

Pretty much agree. I thought our first 10 minutes of play was piss poor, but thought we played better near the end and certainly outplayed them in the 2nd. I suppose the 3rd was more give and go and I was glad that we didn't just hang around, but tried to keep an offensive-minded tempo during the final 20 minutes. For the most part, we kept their top scoring line out of the danger zone (Slavin was excellent in that regard) and Cam's timely poke check on Crosby was totally unexpected - in fact I thought he was going to score on that drive to the net.

As for the Powerplay, I don't know if the Pens played us that well, but it was truly awful most of the time. No set up and no rotation. The only good thing about our specialty game was that our PK did the same to them.

As for the Powerplay, I don't know if the Pens played us that well, but it was truly awful most of the time. No set up and no rotation. The only good thing about our specialty game was that our PK did the same to them.

I really think the power play has been hot garbage for most of the season. We get production from one unit in fits and spurts but nothing consistent and the whole thing looks disjointed and weird more often that it looks dangerous. I think we have the offensive talent in place to cobble together at least one consistently dangerous unit, but it just hasn't happened. The numbers seem to bear out my general impressions, since we're in the bottom 5 in PP goals and have been most of the season. Yet we just keep rolling out the same guys and watching them do the same stuff. IMO that makes no sense.

17k in the building. Reading the reports of this and the last couple games, it would appear the canes found something. Cward has been playing outstanding.

It was 17,975, 705 short of a sellout. In the last 6 games, the average is 14,010. The average for the first 11 games was 11,714 that included a sellout and 3 nights under 10,000.

The schedule doesn't do us any favors today as we enter that spot again that has confounded this franchise, win and for at least one day we are in a playoff spot. But I don't really care that much this time around. If they win today with Darling well great...if not, that's ok. As long as we keep playing our division opponents the way we did last night this team is going to make us all happy come April.

On a good note, it looks like the amount of home games left are actually looking positive looking forward for Carolina. The 3, 4, and 5 (if available) spots in the Metropolitan are wide open.

Rangers 17 They had better start winning on the road and quick. Not as hard to catch as one might think.

Columbus 21 It is still possible to catch them. They are currently in the Mets third spot.

Islanders 23 This team not doing so well on the road either.

Carolina 24 Starting at the end of January the Canes have an 8 game home stand against four teams from the West, three from the East, and one against Metropolitan Division last place Philadelphia. Then one divisional game on the road (New Jersey) with three home divisional games after that including New Jersey. So if this team can keep pace through January and play at least even on the road, and keep winning their home games, they have a great chance in February to let it all hang out.

Back