• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Who will and should replace MB?

As long as MB is at the helm...

Circles.gif

The MB proposal for Vanek was offered to Snow first thing in the AM, Habs had cap space no other team had the ability to absorb Vanek’s entire cap hit without sending $ back. There were a number of teams that were after Vanek, he was the prized asset as deadline day approached in 2014, but none of the other teams had cap space to fully absorb Vanek’s entire cap hit, and Snow had strict orders to dump & not take on any $. Vanek only netted Colberg + 2nd because MB had all the leverage as deadline close approached - Snow had to get something/anything for Vanek.

U have to give credit where credits due, MBs team was structured (that season) to absorb big deadline acquisition, and his deadline day strategy worked to perfection.

BTW - Vanek’s impact post-trade was huge on the Habs, they went on a pretty good roll for he rest of the regular season, from what I recall. Also without Vanek & Briere Habs don’t defeat the Bruins that playoffs.

You got this one wrong Sal. Teams don’t just realize they have no cap space on trade deadline day, that makes no sense...

What happened was Snow was not getting the value he wanted and some GMs were dicking him around so he basically gift wrapped Vanek to MB (they have a connection from their playing days). That’s why it happened at 3pm.

You got this one wrong Sal. Teams don’t just realize they have no cap space on trade deadline day, that makes no sense...

What happened was Snow was not getting the value he wanted and some GMs were dicking him around so he basically gift wrapped Vanek to MB (they have a connection from their playing days). That’s why it happened at 3pm.

I think there were 2 teams that could absorb Vanek's remaining salary on deadline day and we were one of them .Snow probably tried to make the deal bigger with some other teams and couldn't make it happen.

Time was running out and we were the only one standing at the alter with a take it or leave it offer .

Snow waited too long , there were reports he could of made a good hockey deal weeks before but got greedy .

It will be a very interesting trade deadline this year. We could pick up a ton of salary from strapped teams and get multiple sweetener picks or prospects .

Last edited:
I’m not evaluating anything, the question was why MB only acquires Byron, Weise & Danault types, it’s because he has no assets in his development pool to replace a roster player should said player be dealt to acquire an impact player or use to acquire an impact player.

BTW there may be “tons of Danault & Byron” yet MB has never made an overpayment like a 1st + 3rd rounder for any of them as happened to Gaustad and many others on deadline day.

Also as I clearly, stated that lack of ELC asset availability is MBs biggest fault as GM. Whereas Poile can acquire Johanssen because his amateur system excels at finding & developing Dman.

U also evaluate a GM by the team he builds to win with over a long course, trades should be last ditch alternative to patch up minor areas of need not an evaluation measuring stick - a team should be 98% built via drafting & player development.

Something drastic has to be done with this org, u cannot hope to have any aspirations of the Cup with 43-years of putrid performance in the 1st round of the draft - highest probability of procuring a top end talent is the 1st round after all.

Preds got Turris for Girard who is slightly better than Mete maybe, Kamenev and a 2nd rounder, a very solid C who could be no1 with Habs.

I think we as fans should stop finding excuses as well, otherswise as you said this organisation will be what it is in the next 25 years as well.

BTW, Duchene deal was probably Sakic best move ever, how he managed to get that much for Duchene is beyond me.

Preds got Turris for Girard who is slightly better than Mete maybe, Kamenev and a 2nd rounder, a very solid C who could be no1 with Habs.

I think we as fans should stop finding excuses as well, otherswise as you said this organisation will be what it is in the next 25 years as well.
What the fan thinks has zero correlation to Habs performance. This June marks 6-GMs & 12-head coaches into the 25-year drought - or better put roughly a new GM every 4-yrs and a head coach every 2-years

Last edited:
BTW, Duchene deal was probably Sakic best move ever, how he managed to get that much for Duchene is beyond me.
McPhee was an idiot for trading Forsberg for Erat, and now a genius for building the LV team - reality of the matter, there is no GM presently in the NHL who is either a genius or idiot, just varying versions of above avg.

McPhee was an idiot for trading Forsberg for Erat, and now a genius for building the LV team - reality of the matter, there is no GM presently in the NHL who is either a genius or idiot, just varying versions of above avg.

Dean Lombardi's Kings are doing well again this year. Though he's not there anymore. Firing him helped Anze return to elite level status.

Every GM does a bad to terrible move, even though the moment McPhee traded Forsberg, he was a prospect who was not even a top 10 draft, but the important is to repair your mistakes with few IMPACT moves as i have mentioned, something MB was unable to do. Few of patching holes kind of moves here and there and scrap moves like the one today.

Every GM does a bad to terrible move, even though the moment McPhee traded Forsberg, he was a prospect who was not even a top 10 draft, but the important is to repair your mistakes with few IMPACT moves as i have mentioned, something MB was unable to do. Few of patching holes kind of moves here and there and scrap moves like the one today.

I agree. Trading involves risk. It's ok to be wrong. Not ok to stay wrong while neglecting the same need year after year.

I agree. Trading involves risk. It's ok to be wrong. Not ok to stay wrong while neglecting the same need year after year.

The worst thing is to not be award of mistakes you have done, the more terrible is to be proud of it, something that MB mentioned it in his press conference.

I mean it makes me think of Bowman when Hawks were out last playoff in 4 against Preds, he said this is unacceptable, and it is entirely on us, management and we make sure it doesn't repeat, i know Hawks are not having a good season but do you honestly think a guy like Bowman needed to comes up with such a statement with such a track record in last few seasons?

Imagine What MB would have said?
- It is hard to make PO.
-We had to deal with injuries.
-Lots of parity in league.
-We lost against a strong side.
etc.

There were plenty of opportunities to get creative to land a C . You can't expect miracles to move up to get studs at the top of the draft .

But Barzal, Kyrou , Frost and others were not impossible to get as they weren't top picks in their drafts .

I am not even mentioning the missed opportunities like Kutznetsov , Giroux and others .

No worse place to be when you can't draft/develop or make a move to get one .

In 6 years hoping for 1 creative move isn't asking for much .

The time to land that C was at 2012 draft by flipping the #3 overall pick with even a sweetener for one. Ironically Johanssen might’ve been that asset..

Forsberg was projected top-5 pick going into the draft but kept falling - he was picked what 12th by Caps?

There were plenty of opportunities to get creative to land a C . You can't expect miracles to move up to get studs at the top of the draft .

But Barzal, Kyrou , Frost and others were not impossible to get as they weren't top picks in their drafts .

I am not even mentioning the missed opportunities like Kutznetsov , Giroux and others .

No worse place to be when you can't draft/develop or make a move to get one .

In 6 years hoping for 1 creative move isn't asking for much .

He dominates when he's on the ice. Maybe we can flip Drouin+ for him, lol ..

Meanwhile, Bert Raymond think one of the main reason of failure of this team is lack of French players LOOLLLLLLL:

Il y a au moins un autre aspect qui me chicote. Ne nous avait-on pas promis d’accorder une plus grande attention au produit québécois quand Bergevin a remplacé Pierre Gauthier pour qui ce n’était pas une priorité?

https://www.rds.ca/hockey/canadiens/une-question-d-attitude-1.5906875

I mean until these kind of dinosaurs are in media, how anyone expect any improvement? Habs having the biggest number of French players in last 10-15 years maybe(NDL, Drouin, Hudon, Dano).

Last edited:
Back