• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Pens 1/4 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Another big divisional matchup as the Canes visit Pittsburgh.

Since beating the Pens on December 29, the Canes have lost to the Blues and lost to the Caps in regulation. However, that point was enough to move the Canes into 8th in the Conference and into the last wild card spot. The Rangers did us a favor by losing to the Blackhawks last night. A Canes win tonight will move us to within 1 point of them for the first wild card spot. But a regulation loss will drop us out and possibly to 10th if the Islanders beat Philly too. Aleksi Saarela was recalled from Charlotte and should make his NHL debut tonight. He's 3rd on the Checkers with 13 goals but has 5 in his last 5 games. We'll see where he slots when they have the morning skate at 11:30. No word on goalie.

After losing to the Canes, the Pens have lost to the Red Wings and beaten the Flyers which broke a 3 game losing streak. Tristan Jarry started for the Pens but was replaced by Murray with just over 5 minutes left in the 2nd period with an apparent wrist injury. The Pens also lost Carter Rowney and Brian Dumoulin during the game. The Pens website doesn't have any information on their availability.

Fox Sports Carolinas for TV.

The morning skate was optional. Ward starts in goal. I guess there was some question about Staal playing. If he plays, Saarela sits. If Staal can't go, Saarela plays and I guess Lindholm slides to center one of the lines.

Saarela supposedly is a center, although I would expect him to play wing if pressed into duty.

This would be a good time to take advantage of an opponent that's fairly hobbled.
Do or do not, there is no try.

This would be a good time to take advantage of an opponent that's fairly hobbled.
Do or do not, there is no try.

Letang and Schultz are back, they didn't play in Raleigh. Dumoulin is out with a concussion.

This is how they lined up at their skate:

Simon-Crosby-Sheary
Hornqvist-Malkin-Kessel
Hagelin-Guentzel-Sprong
Kuhnhackl-Sheahan-Reaves

Hunwick-Letang
Cole-Schultz
Maatta-Oleksiak

Jarry was at their morning skate but Murray will probably start in goal.

Stick tap to jbk_ltd for the following update: Forslund told Heckle and Jeckle that Skinner/Rask/Williams are back together. The 4th line is Nordsrom/Jooris/PDG, so that leaves TSA and McGinn/Ryan/Lindy. Staal is in, so Saarela is out. Fleury stays in the lineup.

The Canes will stay in Pittsburgh overnight, practice there in the morning and fly to Boston in the afternoon. Forslund had to take a car service from MSG to Pittsburgh after calling Rangers/Blackhawks last night.

Last edited:
Completely agree HeyKurtz. That was about as good as it gets in all 3 zones.

Can you imagine how good this team could be a couple of years down the road if Necas ends up being the real deal? And we still have this massive pile of rookies in the AHL like Gauthier and Roy and Kuokkanen and Foegele, along with Wallmark, Saarela, and Zykov.

Still some pretty difficult tests to come on this road trip, but what a great start.

Back