Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 51

Thread: All-Star Game

  1. #21
    Hall of Famer TheBigKahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canes Country
    Posts
    4,562
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: All-Star Game

    The All Star game is for the sponsoring city, young fans, and tv revenue. It's crazy to try and analyze who goes and who doesnt. The league wants it's Crosbys and Ovechkins there, and unfortunately many of those guys don't want to do it. It's a televised circus on ice, not much more.

  2. #22
    1st Liner
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,483
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: All-Star Game

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
    The All Star game is for the sponsoring city, young fans, and tv revenue. It's crazy to try and analyze who goes and who doesnt. The league wants it's Crosbys and Ovechkins there, and unfortunately many of those guys don't want to do it. It's a televised circus on ice, not much more.
    Bingo...

  3. #23
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,118
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: All-Star Game

    Quote Originally Posted by perfectstormhits View Post
    Yep, I skip all All-Star games in all sports.
    In order of worst ASG by sport...NFL, NHL, NBA then MLB. I actually love the fact the MLB all star game had something to play for which made the game worth watching.

  4. #24
    Canes Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    8,598
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: All-Star Game

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaCanes View Post
    In order of worst ASG by sport...NFL, NHL, NBA then MLB. I actually love the fact the MLB all star game had something to play for which made the game worth watching.
    MLB is also closer to a “real” game. And the pitchers have an advantage because they’re only pitching an inning. So they can just throw gas.

    ‘Forget about the curve ball, Rickey. Give him the heater”

  5. #25
    Super-Star HeyKurtz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    3,263
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default All-Star Game

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaCanes View Post
    I actually love the fact the MLB all star game had something to play for which made the game worth watching.
    That is no longer the case...MLB ended that with the 2017 All-Star Game.
    Last edited by HeyKurtz; 01-11-2018 at 11:29 PM.

  6. #26
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,118
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: All-Star Game

    Quote Originally Posted by HeyKurtz View Post
    That is no longer the case...MLB ended that with the 2017 All-Star Game.
    I know, but it was great while it lasted!

  7. #27
    All-Star SlapShots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,075
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: All-Star Game

    The NHL is getting a lot of heat for their decision to go with Kid Rock for the All-Star game concert. The most legit criticism is this is not the performer you want to use if you want to grow the game given his frequent display of the confederate flag at his concerts and his zealous support of Donald Trump.

  8. #28
    Mod Squad jeffbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    10,477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: All-Star Game

    I'm no fan of Kid Rock, but Trumpers buy tickets too.

  9. #29
    All-Star SlapShots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,075
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: All-Star Game

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbear View Post
    I'm no fan of Kid Rock, but Trumpers buy tickets too.
    The criticism was that choosing Kid Rock does not help grow the game-- both because of his politics and because he's a crappy, has been artist. I guess at least he has name recognition-- I can't even recall who played for the All-Star game here and I recall not even being familiar with them when they were announced.

  10. #30
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,324
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: All-Star Game

    3 doors down was the band for the all star game here. I think Clay Aiken did the national anthem.

    Not a fan but I don't think Kid Rock qualifies as a has been. He's still putting out music that sells . His album that came out in Nov. went to #8 on the charts.

  11. #31
    Mod Squad jeffbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    10,477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: All-Star Game

    Quote Originally Posted by SlapShots View Post
    The criticism was that choosing Kid Rock does not help grow the game-- both because of his politics and because he's a crappy, has been artist. I guess at least he has name recognition-- I can't even recall who played for the All-Star game here and I recall not even being familiar with them when they were announced.
    Is that the job of the entertainment at the All Star Game ... growing the game? Because I'd like somebody to check the books on how many people the Roots added to "the game" a few years ago. I'd guess exactly none.

    They generally get second or third rate acts for these things ... Big Bad Voodoo Daddy for the ESA opening for crying out loud ... and those people aren't moving the needle one way or the other. To me it's an irrelevant complaint. Kid Rock sucks. Criticize that.

    Not aiming at SS here ... just at the argument.

  12. #32
    Super-Star ThinIce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    3,064
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: All-Star Game

    Can't say I care for Kid Rock or his music, but I remember him cheering on the Hurricanes during our SC run, so I appreciate him for that. I don't care for Trump either, but it's getting tiresome when R&R performers are called out only when or if they support a Republican president (it' not just Trump). Can't we leave politics out of this?

  13. #33
    Mod Squad jeffbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    10,477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: All-Star Game

    Quote Originally Posted by ThinIce View Post
    Can't say I care for Kid Rock or his music, but I remember him cheering on the Hurricanes during our SC run, so I appreciate him for that. I don't care for Trump either, but it's getting tiresome when R&R performers are called out only when or if they support a Republican president (it' not just Trump). Can't we leave politics out of this?
    I don't think you can leave politics out of anything these days. Besides, music is by and large a political arena. Always has been.

    BUT ... yeah. You can't just put one side of the aisle on blast and the other side on the good list like that makes sense. For starters, there's more than two sides.

  14. #34
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,324
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: All-Star Game

    Quote Originally Posted by ThinIce View Post
    Can't say I care for Kid Rock or his music, but I remember him cheering on the Hurricanes during our SC run, so I appreciate him for that. I don't care for Trump either, but it's getting tiresome when R&R performers are called out only when or if they support a Republican president (it' not just Trump). Can't we leave politics out of this?
    He is a friend of Karmanos so he even got a 2006 stanley cup ring from Karmanos.

    Also I thought the ESA opening group was cherry poppin daddies? I remember laughing when I heard their name , that was the first I heard of them.

  15. #35
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    278
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: All-Star Game

    Quote Originally Posted by SlapShots View Post
    The criticism was that choosing Kid Rock does not help grow the game-- both because of his politics and because he's a crappy, has been artist. I guess at least he has name recognition-- I can't even recall who played for the All-Star game here and I recall not even being familiar with them when they were announced.
    Hockey has more "deplorables" than any sport. Thank god!

  16. #36
    Super-Star ThinIce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    3,064
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: All-Star Game

    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
    Also I thought the ESA opening group was cherry poppin daddies? I remember laughing when I heard their name , that was the first I heard of them.
    That is indeed hilarious. And so wrong.

  17. #37
    Mod Squad jeffbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    10,477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: All-Star Game

    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
    He is a friend of Karmanos so he even got a 2006 stanley cup ring from Karmanos.

    Also I thought the ESA opening group was cherry poppin daddies? I remember laughing when I heard their name , that was the first I heard of them.
    It might well have been ... because who the heck could remember?

    Which is pretty much my point in a nutshell

  18. #38
    All-Star SlapShots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,075
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: All-Star Game

    Quote Originally Posted by KTown11 View Post
    Hockey has more "deplorables" than any sport. Thank god!
    Really? More than NASCAR??

  19. #39
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    278
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: All-Star Game

    Okay, If you say so.........Not a good place for politics.

  20. #40
    3rd Liner Punzil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Fitchburg, Ma
    Posts
    415
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: All-Star Game

    Hanafin on the ice for the first Metro goal. 1-0.

    They've got him with Ovechkin and Crosby (who scored).

    Unfortunately, he is also on the ice as Matthews ties it up. 1-1.
    Last edited by Punzil; 01-28-2018 at 05:08 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •