• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Connor Brown

Hoglund14

Banned
Someone convince me that he isn't terrible. He's not quite as unskilled as Martin, leo and hyman but he can't create his own offense and has really struggled defensively this year. Seems like Babcock only likes him because he tries hard. At least hyman is borderline elite at his specialty - he's just a bit overused. Brown looks like he really belongs on that fourth line and it's beginning to hurt more and more seeing guys like Kapanen and Johnson being wasted on the Marlies in favor of some horrendously untalented garbage on basically every line they have. Way too much of that on the roster when there are better options literally within the system. Johnson may not be a better option but they have to give him a shot. Surely he's at the very least an ideal 4th LW, no?

Oh well. Anyway this thread is about brown. Convince me that he is better than a 4th liner and is actually good defensively.

I mean he was legit good last year. Pretty much dead even on the corsis even with pretty tough competition, as a rooklie. And with good offense too.

This year the offense is there (even better, actually), but the possession game has fallen apart....even with easier usage. Not sure what to make of it at this point.

I think a lot of his statistical regression this year comes straight down to his usage.

Last year, he had much more consistent, and often better linemates. At five-on-five, he spent about 40% of the season with Hyman/Matthews, 40% with Komarov/Kadri, with the bulk of his remaining ice-time at five-on-five ice-time (7% of his season total) being spent in Mitch Marner's spot on the JVR/Bozak line.

This year, due to the Marleau signing and Babcock's refusal to try dropping Komarov lower in the lineup, he's been bouncing all over the place.

This is what his usage at five-on-five looks like this year, as far the linemates he's been used with goes:

GAUsFal.png

He's basically been Mike Babcock's swiss army knife this year.

I mean he was legit good last year. Pretty much dead even on the corsis even with pretty tough competition, as a rooklie. And with good offense too.

This year the offense is there (even better, actually), but the possession game has fallen apart....even with easier usage. Not sure what to make of it at this point.

He's shooting almost 17% this year so I'm not sure I see the argument that he's better offensively this year.

I just notice that no matter what line he's on, his line gets crushed. Maybe the line all of a sudden gets tougher usage when he's on it. I don't know what the reason is. It just seems like he gets crushed no matter where he plays.

He just seems like a 30 point player who sucks defensively. But he tries hard so he's a Babs favorite.

Basically the entire drop in Corsi has been CF.

CF/60
2016-17: 59.8
2017-18: 54.04

CA/60
2016-17: 59.74
2017-18: 60.92

You would have to think that QoT plays a factor there.

And I know he plays a decent amount on the fourth line but he ****ed up the possessions numbers on the Matthews line good. I think he's slotted where he belongs and he's not good enough to drive that fourth line like Marne and Nylander did with ease.

I'm on the fence with Brownie. Loved what he brought last year, but he's been mostly invisible this year.

Back