• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Flames 1/14 3:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The Canes host the Flames before heading into the bye week.

No word on any lineup changes. All that is certain is that Pesce is out. Nordstrom and Lindholm missed Friday’s game with the flu; we don’t know if they’re recovered or if it’s affected more players.

The Flames are the hottest team in the league (with the Avs) on a 6 game winning streak, the last 3 as they worked their way east, including a 5-1 win in Tampa on Thursday. They’re 3rd in the Pacifc, 1 behind LA, 2 ahead of San Jose. San Jose can pass them this week with 3 games while the Flames are on their break. This is their 3rd game in 4 days as they head into their break. Johnny Hockey is tied for 6th in the league with 37 assists and is tied for 6th in points with 52. Sean Monahan is tied for 8th in the league with 21 goals. Mike Smith is just outside the top 10 in Save % at .922. Their road PP is 21.9%, 7th in the league; road PK is 82.3%, 9th in the league.

Fox Sports Carolinas for TV.

Peters said he thinks Nordstrom and Lindholm will play today, flanking Kruger on an all-Sweden line. Darling starts in goal. The flu has claimed another victim, Tripp is day to day. Shane Willis draws into the lineup in his place.

Sean Monahan is out for the Flames.

Can someone please close up that huge hole we’re leaving between the dots? Both goals were close to gimmes. Tighten up boys!

Sorry to be a downer but after this game, and with Aho maybe out for a while, I have a hard time seeing the Canes being able to move up to a wild card spot again.

The current Canes roster just has no margin of error. When everyone plays well they are capable of beating anyone....or at least a competitive game. When any aspect of the game is not there the team falls apart. There is no star player or outstanding goalie play to steal games. This team is frustrating to watch as a result of those off nights which are far too frequent.

When Justin Williams is the only one who jumps in to stand up for Aho, when he was injured by a cheap shot, they're all in trouble. Maybe new ownership should consider adding some lace to their breezers.

Somebody tees of on one of my teammates, somebody wearing the other sweater has a problem the rest of the game. Maybe that's just me, but maybe that's some of what's wrong with the Hurricanes.

Jim

Last edited:
Yeah... they sucked in all phases in that game. And you lose Aho to a cheap shot. Nothing good to say about anything I saw this afternoon

I know it’s a pipe dream but the next week would be a welcome time for mr Dundon’s checkbook to appear and land us a center.

Terrible weekend of hockey. Friday night's game was heartbreaking, but today's game was simply miserable to watch. Slow, plodding performance, passes made behind teamates and a refusal to participate in any puck battles. It was a complete waste of my afternoon. Now we have 5 days to sit around while other teams inch up in the standings. We've seen this before, haven't we?

I suppose with this franchise that any serious run at the playoffs is only possible when we are seriously out of contention.

Then a bogus high stick penalty called on Staal. Ironic.

They sure didn't have much going.

Hope Aho is OK. Somebody besides Williams needs to jump in there after that hit. I wish they would take this break as an opportunity to reassign the C. If you're not willing to take up for 20 then you don't deserve to wear the A or C.

The Canes have been a sissy hockey team for several years.

That aspect of the game is something the Canes will never address. If Friday night was inexcusable today seemed predictable...mailed it in and frankly the give a shit meter seemed to be sitting on empty.

The doofus on the Aftermath was questioning the wisdom of Williams jumping in there saying that was stupid because then we has out the rest of the game. They also had this idea that somehow the breakdown at the end of the Caps game and their lackluster play was caused by the same issue. Somebody needed to jump in there - Williams was the only one who did.

Looking at the replay, it was cheap - not saying he's generally a cheap player but Aho was clear to go across the front and the only way Geordano was able to get to him was extending the leg and leaning out over it - shoulder to head, kneee to knee - cheap.

Looked like a team playing third game in 4 days with the flu. We haven't seen any/many games this season where effort/energy appeared to be the issue, so although it was disappointing to see them seem so lifeless, I think we can hang that on them being sick. I'm more concerned with the lack of dealing with the Aho hit other than Williams. There's a difference between fire and effort level. We usually have the effort, but we really don't seem to have that fire.

And also concerned with the post game interview with 11. He pretty much said he had no excuses, the team didn't play hard enough, and he doesn't have any answers to why not. Somebody on that roster (or bench) has to be able to light a fire. Our captains don't. Our coaches don't. It'a not OK to get to the end of the game and have recognized that but not have done anything about it. My question would have been - hey Jordan when you saw that happening why didn't you go out there and tear it up for a shift, hitting everything in sight. especially not OK to just let it happen down 3 and down 4 goals in the third.

The doofus on the Aftermath was questioning the wisdom of Williams jumping in there saying that was stupid because then we has out the rest of the game.
I was screaming at my radio on the way home when I heard him say that! I'm glad the first caller put him straight on that stupid comment.

As for Jordan, he plays a really hard game and when he's flying he creates a path of destruction that his linemates can take advantage of. But I think his quiet man demeanor doesn't works as a Captain. I'd like to see Justin Williams in that role, so that he can set an example for others to follow. McGinn gets it, but most of the rest of the team doesn't (actually I think Skinner does, too - but we need him focused on scoring).

Back