• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

RIP Red Fisher

Red looked old in the 1960s when he used to appear on HNIC. Not many links left to the old dynasties, media or otherwise. Always enjoyed reading Red.

If you grew up in Montreal anytime during/between 1960's to the late 80's, are English, and a Habs fan, then Red Fisher was probably "big" part of your daily life for a non-family member, non-friend. In the days before sports on TV became over-saturated, Red made the Habs a big part of your life, first in the Montreal Star, then in the Gazette, and even on CJAD . . . and he was funny, in a sardonic but not mean way.

Yeah , I didnt grow up in Montreal, and there was no internet back then , so couldn't read his articles. Just remember him from his appearances on Hockey Night in Canada intermissions, the Fisher Report.

Didn't read him much when I was young as my parents got The Star, not The Gazette, but I saw him on TV and later. One of the greats.

As Canadiens' fans we have been blessed Red Bertrand Raymond, Danny Dick Rene Gilles Richard Lionel etc

The Habs media PC starts with Francophone media getting first dibs on questions followed by anglophone media.

Not when Red Fisher was around - Francophone media got their turn only after Red kicked off the PC with his questions.

Ironic for the longest time Habs have had a constant flow of HOF players, GMs, coaches, journalists...and slowly but surely all those areas have become occupied by a string of non-HOF types.

Last edited:
Didn't read him much when I was young as my parents got The Star, not The Gazette, but I saw him on TV and later. One of the greats.

As Canadiens' fans we have been blessed Red Bertrand Raymond, Danny Dick Rene Gilles Richard Lionel etc
Didn't Red work for the Star until it folded in 1979?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Back