• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Winter Olympics Thread

21 medals now including 9 gold.

Guaranteed 22.

Will we break our 2014 record of 26?

i say yes

still have two (eeerrrrr one) curling to go
likely two medals in hockey

figure skating (currently in third)
mens' snowboard big air (3 canadians in the final)
various other ski and snowboard events
probably some more speed skating chances

As Mrs Rolex told me yesterday: ''Cheer-up, there's lots of blond and blue-eyed curlers left in the competition''

She's a good woman :)

At least the ones with the cool Scottish accents instead of the generic Ontarian ones made it through

Other countries have caught up too, especially Asian countries.

We only dominate sports that few, if any, other countries participate in. Once those other countries start taking an interest our dominance fades. It happened to some extent in hockey and I guess it's happening in curling too.

As an aside, did you ever notice how the most popular spectator sports in the US are ones that are either dominated by Americans or in some cases not played anywhere else but America? American football, basketball, baseball, stock car racing, which is pretty much 100% American (Americans don't follow F-1 because American drivers and manufacturers don't dominate it - it's full of "foreigners") Hockey can't get much traction because too many other countries are as good or better at it than Americans. US sports talk radio and TV pretty much ignore the Winter Olympics except to point out when an American wins a medal. Other than that they don't talk about it at all.

[video=youtube;KFQnIFN1pYo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFQnIFN1pYo[/video]

This upset, more than anything else, gave Pat Quinn an easy gold medal. Sweden had already beaten Canada in the round robin (and Germany gave them fits also) but thanks to Tommy Salo Canada got to play Belarus in the medal round while the US had to slug it out with the Russians just to make the final. If not for this, I have no doubt that Quinn would have failed just like he always did in the NHL.

Just too far away from Winter Olympic powerhouse nations. And Koreans are workaholics, dont have time for these games. Not to mention the games just started right after the Chinese New Year, when most Chinese take their vacation. so even the Chinese probably didn't bother to come.

You sound like Expos fan who always rationalized the team's poor attendance with excuses like "It was cheap movie night at Cineplex" or "The Habs were playing that night"

Back