• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Winter Olympics Thread

TheCountofMonteCristo

Canadiens & 'News & Views' Moderator
Staff member
Even though the NHL ridiculously didn't go to Pyeonchang this Olympic cycle, there are still great events and elite athletes competing for our glorious nation.

Competition has already started in mixed doubles curling. I believe we are 1-1.

Some figure skating (Wehave's favourite event) and some moguls are on today.

Opening Ceremonies are overnight at 3:00am PT I believe.

It will be interesting to watch the South Korean goons in speed skating.

The South Korean Women's Hockey team will have some North Koreans on the team so it will play as Korea.

The last time the Olympics were in South Korea, Ben Johnson was scapegoated as the biggest cheat in Olympics history while running next to Carl Lewis who failed tests at the US Olympic trials and the USAF covered them up. This year the Russians are not allowed to compete as a country, only as individuals, although mysteriously, the hockey team is allegedly all clean so it is going to play together.

Should be a fun two weeks.

Go Canada.

It would be cool to see the Canadian men's hockey team win a gold. Basically everyone is laughing at them for filling out a roster of older NHL hasbeens. Would love to seem them stick it right back to the critics.

Would love to see the female team beat the Americans again in hockey. We cant seem to beat the Americans at any other tournament but they are our bitches at the Olympics.

I watched Canada lose to Norway in mixed curling last night. Looking forward to the figure skating this evening.

Love the olympics and it seems like Canada has a pretty good team again.

I'm normally obsessed with the Winter Games but with no NHLers, I haven't really been interested yet.

I'll have to check out the schedules for the x-game events and short-track speed skating.

NHL players was never the big draw for me.

Figure skating, curling, moguls, long track speed skating, etc

The lack of NHLs might even make me more interested in seeing how the hell these random old guys compete.

I'm normally obsessed with the Winter Games but with no NHLers, I haven't really been interested yet.

I'll have to check out the schedules for the x-game events and short-track speed skating.

I was saying to Contessa last night that for some reason, there has been less hype re these games. Maybe because they are in Korea so TV in North America is a nightmare or because the hockey tournament is 3rd rate. I suspect a combination of both. However, once the games start, we will all be watching (except for Wehave, well even he will watch but only so he can tell us how bored he was watching).

NHL players was never the big draw for me.

Figure skating, curling, moguls, long track speed skating, etc

The lack of NHLs might even make me more interested in seeing how the hell these random old guys compete.

I like speed skating, some of the figure skating (I remember Don Cherry saying Elvis Stojko was screwed, he said the Russian guy fell and he always thought if you fall in figure skating it is over).

Hopefully Virtue and Moir regain Gold.

Short track with the Korean goons is always fun to watch.

If your interest is low because the NHL players aren't there then you're not "obsessed" with the Olympics, you're obsessed with NHL hockey.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I was saying to Contessa last night that for some reason, there has been less hype re these games. Maybe because they are in Korea so TV in North America is a nightmare or because the hockey tournament is 3rd rate. I suspect a combination of both. However, once the games start, we will all be watching (except for Wehave, well even he will watch but only so he can tell us how bored he was watching).
Yeah it's more likely the lack of hype than lack of NHLers, but that's been the main event so that's what always triggered my interest.

Even though the NHL ridiculously didn't go to Pyeonchang this Olympic cycle, there are still great events and elite athletes competing for our glorious nation.

Competition has already started in mixed doubles curling. I believe we are 1-1.

Some figure skating (Wehave's favourite event) and some moguls are on today.

Opening Ceremonies are overnight at 3:00am PT I believe.

It will be interesting to watch the South Korean goons in speed skating.

The South Korean Women's Hockey team will have some North Koreans on the team so it will play as Korea.

The last time the Olympics were in South Korea, Ben Johnson was scapegoated as the biggest cheat in Olympics history while running next to Carl Lewis who failed tests at the US Olympic trials and the USAF covered them up. This year the Russians are not allowed to compete as a country, only as individuals, although mysteriously, the hockey team is allegedly all clean so it is going to play together.

Should be a fun two weeks.

Go Canada.

I was wondering today at the Eagles parade as to how we did in that.

I understand why Krusty doesn't wear a Habs jersey around town. You don't mess with batshit crazy fans that eat horseshit off the street.

Back