• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Winter Olympics Thread

It is interesting that CBC buys into the US view of medal totals and lists the country with the most first but the IOC counts Gold as the top.

According to CBC, Norway is in the lead with 11 total, followed by Netherlands and Canada with 10. Germany is fourth with 9

According to the IOC, Germany is top with 5 Gold, then Netherlands with 4 Gold, Norway Canada and USA all with 3 gold (11-10-6) total.

CTV did the same in 2010 and accepted that the USA won the Olympics with 37 medals and Germany was second with 30 but the IOC has Canada first with 14 Gold and 26 overall.

i prefer overall medal count myself

pretty sure that is what CBC has done since at least 1982

sure
but if gold was the only thing that mattered they should only hand out golds

It isn't all that matters but it is the top thing. No one goes there for silver.

China claims it won the 2000 Beijing Olympics because it had the most gold. We should the same for 2010.

Silver and bronze medals are for losers. I don't know why they waste the metal to make them. Nobody who competes in the Olympics really wants to win anything but gold. Anything less than that is just a degree of losing.

It should be ranked by golds. It doesn’t make any sense if there’s more of a difference between 3rd and 4th than between 1st and 3rd.

Wouldn't go that far, see Tonya Harding....

But yeah most pair skaters are above average, they have to be. Presentation marks count.

Female Tennis players, beach volleyball and figure skaters all seem to have great bodies, a great starting point. Faces are hit and miss, but I've not come across many figure skaters or tennis players who didn't have great athletic bodies.

Female Tennis players, beach volleyball and figure skaters all seem to have great bodies, a great starting point. Faces are hit and miss, but I've not come across many figure skaters or tennis players who didn't have great athletic bodies.
They are in great shape and work out all the time.

Back