• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Olympic Winter Games

CTheBigPicture

Leafs Moderator
Staff member
The opening ceremonies are about to start.

Which events are you most looking forward to watching?

Will Canada win the hockey gold? If they do, will it mean anything?

I'm mostly looking forward to the latest edition of Canada vs USA women hockey games.

Olympics are always fun, but yeah, I think I'm more interested in all the other events than hockey. Gold medal game is at 11pm, so I'll probably stay up to watch if Canada's there because, why not? But definitely not excited by it.

The time zone is pretty tough for most events. Fine to catch a few "morning" events in the evening, since the action starts around 7 at night here, but by the time I'm up in the morning all the action is done for the day.

I have already been watching the games for a few days. Mixed curling draw 1 was Wednesday.

ALso watched the team figure skating - Canada is currently in first after two events

Will Canada win the hockey gold? If they do, will it mean anything?

I think OAR wins but it would mean a ton if Canada won without being able to send its best. USA is in the same boat though.

Hard to judge the hockey so it could be highly entertaining or terrible.

Snowboarding stuff, always loved moguls, skiing, bobsled, luge, etc, oh man . I love pretty much everything but the cross country skiing events

I never really care much for opening ceremonies ... YouTube summary in 6 is good enough to me.

I do look forward to a bunch of events though ... snowboarding, speed skating, i even look forward to hockey.

Men's hockey is obviously not the same thing without NHL players, but you know how we always said we have so much depth that a team B vs team B tournament and we'll win every single time? Well now it's the time to prove it (more like a team D vs team B tourney but still, if we're that good ... )

And I look forward to women's hockey too, essentially CAN vs US for the gold.

First gold is the team figure skating. And it wasn't just finishing 2nd or 3rd in each event - they had highest scores in 3 of the 4 free skates.

and Kingsbury with another gold in men's moguls overnight.

Blouin with a gutsy silver in women's slopestyle, battling windy conditions days after a pretty serious fall in training. A lot of the women didn't even attempt jumps because the wind gusts were so bad.

and Kingsbury with another gold in men's moguls overnight.

Blouin with a gutsy silver in women's slopestyle, battling windy conditions days after a pretty serious fall in training. A lot of the women didn't even attempt jumps because the wind gusts were so bad.

Yeah, I think I saw something which said that there were only like 9 runs without a fall. Seems like they could have delayed it another day in hopes that it cleared up.

Yeah, I think I saw something which said that there were only like 9 runs without a fall. Seems like they could have delayed it another day in hopes that it cleared up.

I watched both the men's and the women's, and while the men are certainly capable of performing more difficult tricks with all things being equal, the women literally could not build up enough speed to clear the jumps. I don't think any men had to bail on jumps where they had not fallen; this happened to the women on multiple occasions. And some gnarly gnarly wipeouts when they did not clear the jump.

I believe that 9 runs without a fall number, I think there were maybe two or three clean runs on the first attempts, and another small handful round two.

They cancelled all the alpine ski stuff too at the same time, but went ahead with the slope style... not really sure why they insisted on forcing it through... can't imagine that course is being used on a daily basis.

Anyone else feel like the Canadian woman's hockey team would match-up pretty well against the men's team?

Back