• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Canucks 2/9 7:30

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The Canes open a back to back weekend on You Can Play Night.

Are changes in the air for the Canes? Kruger and Jooris were placed on waivers yesterday. If they clear, will they be sent to Charlotte with reinforcements already on their way? Neither of them practiced yesterday, maybe another sign that their time in Raleigh is over. The Canes are 2-2-1 on the 8 game homestand so far and close it out with 3 cross conference games, none of which are against teams currently in playoff spots, although that could change. But Vancouver isn't one of them. We'll see the lines at the morning skate but Peters already said that Darling starts in goal

The Canucks have 48 points in 54 games. They're coming off a 5-2 loss in Tampa last night and are on a 3 game losing streak. Rookie Brock Boeser leads the team with 26 goals and 47 points. Thomas Vanek leads with 22 assists. They're as offensively challenged as the Canes, with 14Vancouver has 7 players that are -10 or worse, including both Sedins. Jacob Markstrom has started 38 games in goal and we'll probably see him tonight since he had last night off. He's at 2.75/.908. The Canucks are dangerous on the PP, 2nd best on the road at 24.7%. They're 28th on the PK at 74.2%.

Fox Sports Carolinas for TV. Regular Friday night start time.

Might not be able to technically do so until after noon when the 23-man roster is reduced by some action to be revealed presumably at noon, when results of waivers are revealed or assignments are made.

Lines from practice, per Michael Smith:

Aho-Staal-Teravainen
McGinn-Rask-Williams
Skinner-Lindholm-Di Giuseppe
Nordstrom-Ryan-Stempniak

Slavin-Pesce
Dahlbeck-Faulk
Hanifin-van Riemsdyk

So it's bring in the healthy scratches for tonight, short of a last-minute substitution.

Stay tuned for Saturday?

I'm not sure they can be, technically speaking. Not until the 23-man roster is reduced.

Now, not being at the practice skate certainly hasn't stopped call-ups from being played the same night on many occasions.

This might be one of them.

Put Williams on skinner line and park PDG with Rask. Sorry Ginner but you draw the short straw.
Lines from practice, per Michael Smith:

Aho-Staal-Teravainen
McGinn-Rask-Williams
Skinner-Lindholm-Di Giuseppe
Nordstrom-Ryan-Stempniak

Slavin-Pesce
Dahlbeck-Faulk
Hanifin-van Riemsdyk

So it's bring in the healthy scratches for tonight, short of a last-minute substitution.

Stay tuned for Saturday?

Yawn ... somebody give me a poke when they actually make meaningful roster changes, OK?

checkers have a roster limit right? Unless they are 2 below the limit they have to either send people up or down to ECHL or release them.

checkers have a roster limit right? Unless they are 2 below the limit they have to either send people up or down to ECHL or release them.
nope.

www.uticacomets.com/news/detail/constructing-an-nhl-roster said:
There is no roster limit in the AHL. While the NHL is limited to a 23-man active roster (plus any players placed on injured reserve), there is nothing that prohibits an AHL team from carrying 35 players (except the financial ability to pay all of them).Jun 29, 2015

You might as well tee up both games this weekend as pretty much must wins when you consider the 0-2-1 slide in the last 3 at home for the Canes. Should be interesting with Darling in goal.

Players are re-assigned from Charlotte to Florida to get playing time. Both players with NHL contracts and players with AHL deals can be sent down. Josh Wesley is there now.

You might as well tee up both games this weekend as pretty much must wins when you consider the 0-2-1 slide in the last 3 at home for the Canes. Should be interesting with Darling in goal.

Nothing says "must win mindset" more than starting Darling in net, waiving two vets and replacing them every single human in your healthy scratch pile.

Does NOBODY in that front office have any urgency? Surely there's someone somewhere screaming "we need roster help" at the top of his lungs ... or her lungs, whatever. I guess all the guys on the roster are supposed to be shaking in their boots because they sent two guys who have been a part of the team for an hour and half down to Charlotte. Ohhhh ... scary.

I realize that trying to apply logic can be dangerous but...

I think they have to have something in mind by waiving and then sending Jooris and Kruger to Charlotte... I don't think they want to get them playing time there particularly bad especially if it comes at the expense of prospects in Charlotte that theoretically have upside. So there has to be a reason.

1. Save money? Do they? I don't think financial is the reason.
2. Hoping someone picked them up on waivers? Again - financial? No need to send them down then, so I don't think that's the reason - although I think they'd have been glad if someone picked them up.

I don't see any point to this if it's not the first part of something else...

That leaves making room on the NHL roster for something.

Charlotte Callup:
Why not announce it even if it's for tomorrow's game?
I could see them not thinking the first shot at the NHL for some of the guys from Charlotte should be scramble to get here, no chance to skate with the team, hit the ice.
Maybe tonights game is going to determine who gets scratched for tomorrow, which determines who they want to call up?

Trade:
seems like the longer they don't announce a callup the more likely the move was to make roster room for another move.

Or I guess they could have been thinking - you guys suck and I don't want to see your face around here anymore - get lost...

Last edited:
I hope the recent transactions and the comments by Bill Peters about the team and RF's comments about Darling start creating some mojo. Those guys who play in front of him have been hanging him out to dry and the only way we're going to get better moving forward is for those guys to play good hockey and stop with the clustered brain cramps. It would help if Darling would manage his gaping 5 hole and manage his glove a bit better, but really give the guy support and allow him to re-gain his confidence.

I can't believe I am going to defend our GM, but here goes....

Maybe Francis knows that shaking up the bottom 6 or making a trade for most of the warm bodies on TSN's trade deadline list is not really what Carolina needs. The teams two most glaring needs are a 1C and Goalie, along with half the teams in the NHL. I don't think this is an easy trade. Francis deserves crap for swinging and missing this past season on Darling in goal, but revisionist history is a great thing. Most of us were pretty thrilled when he was signed. It just hasn't worked out.

If Francis is fired tomorrow, I would probably be ok with it as long as Peters goes with him, but I think this is better accomplished in the off season. Either can everyone at end of year and get a fresh start building the team over the summer with new GM and coach, or let Francis have one shot at doing it right with a budget over the off-season. I don't think you can materially fix the Canes at this point in the season and I really don't think anyone in Charlotte is the answer the Canes are looking for. Incremental improvement isn't going to cut if for Carolina this year with who the Canes have in goal.

While 1C and G might be the biggest holes in the roster, we need scoring help, which could be available without fixing those holes. I don't think anyone here is suggesting we sell the farm for a big shortsighted move, but to think there's nothing that could improve a team that has such a huge problem offensively...

I think they realized that they just need rainbow logos and rainbow tape on their stick. Yeah TVR because that's going to help you play better D than you did the other night. Let's all focus on our outfits for the game tonight. That'll be really special.

Back