• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes vs Colorado 2/10 8:00 EST

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Fair warning ... the State/Carolina game at the PNC is a 2:00 game and the ice surface won't be uncovered until probably around 4:30 at the earliest. The ice is going to SUCK tonight.

That said ... the Canes host the Avalanche tonight to finish up the season series. The Avs are only 3 points ahead of the Canes but are a MUCH more potent offensive team, sitting 7th the the NHL in goals scored. They are on the second leg of one of those two part extend road trips where they play 8 out of 9 away from Denver. On the plus side, they got to Raleigh a day early and opted to practice at PNC yesterday to avoid having to take their morning skate off site.

I'm assuming Ward in net for the Canes and the forward lines we saw in the 3rd period last night. Until somebody ferrets out news to the contrary of course. I'm going to attempt the PNC twofer today ... God help me.

Last edited:
Re: GDT: Canes vs Colorado 2/10 7:00 EST

Game starts at 8PM tonight JB I assume in hopes that extra hour will benefit the ice.

Last edited:
Re: GDT: Canes vs Colorado 2/10 7:00 EST

Game starts at 8PM tonight JB I assume in hopes that extra hour will benefit the ice.

Sorry ... typo or brain fart ... you decide

As for the ice, that extra hour will help but not that much. We've generally had noon or 1:00 games on the front side of the basketball/hockey double headers. This is the first 2:00 tip in one of these marathon Saturdays in years and years. As I recall the last one didn't go well at all and the warmish, mucky weather won't help either. Expectations are low.

Avs had a 10 game winning streak that ended in mid-January that got them into the playoff hunt but they’ve floundered a bit since, going 5-4-1 in their last 10. They’re still only 2 points out of the last wild card spot. Nathan MacKinnon is 9th in the league in points but hasn’t played since sustaining a shoulder injury on January 30. They lost in St. Louis 6-1 on Thursday. Jonathan Bernier started and was pulled 5 minutes into the 2nd period after giving up 3 goals on 20 shots. Varlamov came in and gave up 3 on 11 shots. They’ve basically split starts so we should see Varlamov tonight. He carries a 2.89/.910 stat line. The Avs PP is dreadful, DFL on the road at 11.8%. They’re 24th on the PK at 76%.

Last edited:

Yeah ... well, that didn't go all that well. Played fairly well but fell in the end.

Didn't look great for the ice tonight either. The building was super swampy and humid during the basketball game.

They will get the AC turned waaaaaayyyyyy down....its been noticeably colder down in the lower bowl the 2nd half of the season, I expect it to be really really cold come game time, at least we can hope it is....

Last edited:
too bad we can't sit Faulk whom can't even get a shot past the first defender leading to many odd man rushes against.

Back