Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GDT: Canes vs Colorado 2/10 8:00 EST

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: GDT: Canes vs Colorado 2/10 8:00 EST

Quote Originally Posted by cmon3 View Post
    Our issue with not being physical is not usually because they can't get there, it's that they decide not to hit. Saturday night they made a lot more decisions to take the body than normal.
    Agreed. They took their cues early from McGinn. He threw a few hits around early and it seemed to be catching for once.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah - I agree. I was looking at the plus/minus and he's one of only 2 players in the black on that... He KILLS me with his lack of physical play, and he doesn't seem to generate anything at all. How is he maintaining a positive +/- ? Am I missing something in his game that he's doing well
    I think you are more seeing the flaw in +/- as a stat. I think a lot of what makes Rask a positive is protected faceoff starts (you are going to see other lines take draws in our D-zone). That in itself is often a huge factor to the +/- stat...if your line is typically coming over the boards only for neutral zone and O-zone faceoffs, you are less likely to catch a '-'. I suspect the more advanced metrics might give more insight to how Rask is a '+'. I think the other thing about Rask is that his linemates have covering up his very soft play. I don't know what the heck happened to the player who broke out 2 seasons ago, that guy seems to be buzzing all over the place and showed some 'gives a crap' effort out there most of the time. The guy in the #49 jersey now just floats around and seems only rarely interested in playing defense or making any contact at all out there. And its a shame too, because every once in a while he flashes that great wrist shot and snipes a goal and reminds you how good he looked once upon a time. Fortunately he is good at faceoffs....

Can you imaging the soft floater that is Victor Rask today in a playoff game?

1st Liner
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cmaleski2 View Post
    I think you are more seeing the flaw in +/- as a stat. I think a lot of what makes Rask a positive is protected faceoff starts (you are going to see other lines take draws in our D-zone). That in itself is often a huge factor to the +/- stat...if your line is typically coming over the boards only for neutral zone and O-zone faceoffs, you are less likely to catch a '-'. I suspect the more advanced metrics might give more insight to how Rask is a '+'. I think the other thing about Rask is that his linemates have covering up his very soft play. I don't know what the heck happened to the player who broke out 2 seasons ago, that guy seems to be buzzing all over the place and showed some 'gives a crap' effort out there most of the time. The guy in the #49 jersey now just floats around and seems only rarely interested in playing defense or making any contact at all out there. And its a shame too, because every once in a while he flashes that great wrist shot and snipes a goal and reminds you how good he looked once upon a time. Fortunately he is good at faceoffs....

What happened to Rask after his breakout season 2 years ago? He got paid.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffbear View Post
    Easier to hit 'em when you can catch 'em. Colorado is one of the slowest teams in the league ... or at least they were the other night.
    Team speed would have looked a little different with MacKinnon out there as he can likely skate circles around the fastest Canes player. But yeah, without MacKinnon they are really slow and a bad team.

1st Liner
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cmaleski2 View Post

My impression of his play has been so poor that I congratulated him on making a couple of hits on Friday night - I just noticed the +/- and wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was missing in his game. He had a nice check on Williams and another on one of our other guys. He looks so slight out there even compared to guys a lot smaller. Pretty much a waste of ice time for him to be out there - I'd like to see them put him in the box for an extended stay and see what we can find in Charlotte if they don't make another move soon. He doesn't contribute enough, and he makes a determined effort... ...to avoid contact.
    Last edited by cmon3; 02-13-2018 at 08:18 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123