• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Trade Deadline 2018

trade for radulov and sign markov and they are 20 points better

We are not far from being a playoff team. With those two we probably would be in right now. Although this season will provide us will some much needed drafted players. Could be the same next year but i can see us signing a few and exiting in the first round.

WE NEED A FIRST LINE CENTER. AN ACTUAL ONE. THAT'S WHAT WE REALLY NEED, CAN I BE ANY CLEARER? Losing Radulov was huge mistake but . . . he's not a center. Until that issue is fixed, we will never contend for the Cup, no matter how much we rebuild or retool. A second line center would be nice too but that will be Ryan Poehling, most likely, possibly even next season - if he was drafted this June instead of last June, he'd likely be a top 10 overall pick.

Last edited:
We are not far from being a playoff team. With those two we probably would be in right now. Although this season will provide us will some much needed drafted players. Could be the same next year but i can see us signing a few and exiting in the first round.

Do we want to be a playoff team or a cup winning team?

Habs could be in the playoffs with 20 more points, sitting in a wild card spot. But they would need 30 more to be fighting with the division champs and cup hopefuls. 35 to be top in the east.

We don't need 20 more points unless you are happy being first round fodder year after year. We need to find a way to make this team get 35 more points a season, and I don't think adding one or two players to this rotten core is going to do that.

Habs could be in the playoffs with 20 more points, sitting in a wild card spot. But they would need 30 more to be fighting with the division champs and cup hopefuls. 35 to be top in the east.

We don't need 20 more points unless you are happy being first round fodder year after year. We need to find a way to make this team get 35 more points a season, and I don't think adding one or two players to this rotten core is going to do that.

It's not a rotten core, no many how many times you keep repeating it. It's not great, but it's not terrible either.

If you make the playoffs anything can happen? (just not for us for 25 years though). People here are satisfied to make the playoffs because it gives them a false hope they have a chance. That's what Molson is banking on to keep a steady profit anyways.

It's not a rotten core, no many how many times you keep repeating it. It's not great, but it's not terrible either.

Every team has a core, it's not that great. We don't have really any team friendly deals anymore aside from 11 maybe. But every god damn team has prospects, ours probably rank bottom 1/3 in the entire nhl. So is that good? Considering what we are icing right now? No, it isn't.

WE NEED A FIRST LINE CENTER. AN ACTUAL ONE. THAT'S WHAT WE REALLY NEED, CAN I BE ANY CLEARER? Losing Radulov was huge mistake but . . . he's not a center. Until that issue is fixed, we will never contend for the Cup, no matter how much we rebuild or retool. A second line center would be nice too but that will be Ryan Poehling, most likely, possibly even next season - if he was drafted this June instead of last June, he'd likely be a top 10 overall pick.

like having an english coach that will just not happen

if the plan was to not bring back radulov and markov they should not have been trading our best prospect for a winger

In a league that hands out welfare points like candy, pretty much any team can be a playoff team without too much real grunt work. To be a seriously elite, legitimate Cup contending team, however, takes a lot more than the few tweaks it would take to get the Habs into 8th place. You can make the playoffs without any top 6 centers. The Habs have proven that time and again. What you cannot do without top 6 centers, no matter how good your goaltending might be, is win Cups.

This is the crucial disconnect between what ownership says it wants (Cups) and what they're actually willing to settle for (playoff revenue)

We have a few strong wingers, no top line center, no number two defenseman, and a goalie that is outplayed regularly in the playoffs or hurt. Few prospects in the pipeline and a terrible record of drafting for the past few seasons.

That's rotten to me.

We have a few strong wingers, no top line center, no number two defenseman, and a goalie that is outplayed regularly in the playoffs or hurt. Few prospects in the pipeline and a terrible record of drafting for the past few seasons.

That's rotten to me.

it is not good enough

but rotten is a stretch

rotten to me means we have very little in terms of top 6 or top 4 D - that is not that case

we have a top goal scorer, some good top 6 wingers, a number 1 and 3 dman, number 1 goalie and actually a lot youth

Agreed... we have a decent core that is one legit #1 centre away from being a very good core.

Except that in order to get that legit #1 center we will have to decimate the rest of the so-called "decent" core because we have nothing else of value to offer in trade, can't draft properly and can't sign elite level UFA's to save our lives.

it is not good enough

but rotten is a stretch

rotten to me means we have very little in terms of top 6 or top 4 D - that is not that case

we have a top goal scorer, some good top 6 wingers, a number 1 and 3 dman, number 1 goalie and actually a lot youth

It's not a slam dunk that Weber will continue to be a #1 d-man at his advanced age and pending post serious injury mobility issues.

it is not good enough

but rotten is a stretch

Rotten, not good enough, are we going to be arguing over split hairs?

The point is this team needs to add enough quality players to its "whatever" core to be 35 points better than we are.

20 points just adds playoff revenue to molsons pockets, it won't win a cup.

The big problem is that we need to add quality players without losing the ones we have. This can only happen through draft of UFAs. In our case that means only draft. It's going to take some time, unless we're trading picks, which we shouldn't.

Back