• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Trade Deadline 2018

MB has been bad when it comes to big time trades but Chiarelli is in a class of his own, the Seguin trade Alone is just a complete case of robbery.

What GM gives up a winger like Taylor Hall for a #3 dman?

Ya, but he actually tried to spin it like they were filling a team need. That was a really bad trade, and will be for as long as Hall plays in the nhl.

I must have the wrong year. I'm talking the season before when we canned Carbo, lost to Boston in 4, and lost Koivu, Kovalev, Komisarek, Tanguay and others as UFA.
No yeah, it was that year, I missed the next year comment. But imagine what could have been with picks and prospects for those guys.

No yeah, it was that year, I missed the next year comment. But imagine what could have been with picks and prospects for those guys.

That was Gainey going in "what me worry" mode until July 1st.

He was going all in that year and everything fell apart when Lang got injured. Instead of saving face and going into sell mode, he doubled down.

Yup and all those missed picks plus 79 and not moving 14 and others ahead of time cost us about 6 first rounders plus others. A properly done retool on the fly wouldn't put us in this mess.

Yup and all those missed picks plus 79 and not moving 14 and others ahead of time cost us about 6 first rounders plus others. A properly done retool on the fly wouldn't put us in this mess.
A properly done retool that year, along with not trading McDonagh, and we probably would have been a real contender the last few years.

A properly done retool that year, along with not trading McDonagh, and we probably would have been a real contender the last few years.

Who knows how the chips would fall later on as we probably wouldnt be drafting in the top 10 , but we would of had some legit core pieces to work with .

No retool would’ve been necessary if Gainey/TT simply followed central scouting booklet of 2006 draft and picked Giroux or even Anisimov in round 2 at their designated positions.

Root of all evil for this org stems from poor strategy & vision which has led to poor execution at the draft - this org simply doesn’t view strength at C as being paramount. They haven’t needed a #1 overall generational C pick to be successful, there’s been plenty of missed opportunities from 2003-2010

Last edited:
No retool would’ve been necessary if Gainey/TT simply followed central scouting booklet of 2006 draft and picked Giroux or even Anisimov in round 2 at their designated positions.

Root of all evil for this org stems from poor strategy & vision which has led to poor execution at the draft - this org simply doesn’t view strength at C as being paramount. They haven’t needed a #1 overall generational C pick to be successful, there’s been plenty of missed opportunities from 2003-2010

Yet they never won without a strong C line. Savard (who you despise) understood the importance of centers and never neglected that position.

It’s been posted already, but a few of the TSN guys saying teams calling for Andrew Shaw, and Habs telling them they don’t intend to trade him.

Really ? I would dump the remaining 4 years at 4 mil in a heartbeat...give me anything I’ll take it....

Lots of hard miles on that body....and i know Shaw has been good this year

It’s been posted already, but a few of the TSN guys saying teams calling for Andrew Shaw, and Habs telling them they don’t intend to trade him.

Really ? I would dump the remaining 4 years at 4 mil in a heartbeat...give me anything I’ll take it....

Lots of hard miles on that body....and i know Shaw has been good this year

No surprise. We will ice the same team pretty much next year but with 15-20 mil in available cap. lol

Yet they never won without a strong C line. Savard (who you despise) understood the importance of centers and never neglected that position.
Yup - Savard’s first move as GM was getting Bobby Smith who was a key piece to the 86 win as was Vinny in 93, but his complete missing out on the European invasion which was an epic failure and disastrous drafting post 86 was unacceptable all while having the luxury of operating in a league where players had zero power, giving Savard the leverage of CH cache which none of the GMs following him have had the luxury of.

Time to flush out some bodies by next Monday except the heavy lifting in the summer.

Pleks , Benn, Byron , Niemi and if you can Shaw .

Time to flush out some bodies by next Monday except the heavy lifting in the summer.

Pleks , Benn, Byron , Niemi and if you can Shaw .

I'd love to see Max traded early while teams have all their best prospects/picks still. It's time to clean house at this point, there's so much garbage to dump I don't know what MB is doing waiting.

Back