• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Kings 2/13 7:00

Can't sweat what happens with all of these other games, even the 3 pointers. Canes simply need to keep winning. These next 4 are obviously huge.

Its a bummer that there was confusion on Faulk's first goal with it being credited to Faulk, then changed to Teravainen, and then changed back to Faulk again. That tempered a proper hat trick celebration as most of us still were thinking that first goal was credited to Teuvo since they announced the scoring change.

Last edited:
I'm also hoping that tap in he had against the Avs does the same thing. He's streaky and even a garbage goal like that can set him off.

Well, Andy....I think you're on to something. Skinner looked dangerous tonight and he certainly was.

In case any of you were wondering why there weren't more hats tossed Faulk's way, just before the start of the 2nd period the in-house announcer said that one of Faulk's goals was credited to Turbo. When Faulk scored the natural hat trick, a lot of people were thinking it was just his second goal. That really sucks.

Wonder if the Kings had a clue this was the last game for Gaborik and Shore and were a bit off kilter? Both players finished the game, whereas Phaneuf was pulled halfway through the Sens game tonight.

https://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2018/2...ators-nate-thompson-marian-gaborik-nick-shore

Maybe a bit, but I get to watch a lot of Kings games out here on west coast now and they don't pass the eye test. They aren't a good team. While there are a lot of teams in the West with high point totals, I don't think there is much of a threat coming from the west to win the Cup other than Nashville. Maybe Winnipeg with a good home ice advantage.

I am slowly starting to believe in the Canes chances to make the playoffs. The top 3 in Atlantic are locked in. Washington and Pittsburgh look like sure bets. That leaves three spots open between probably 4 teams (Carolina, Philly, NJ, Columbus). The Rangers are throwing in the towel and I am not sold on the Islanders. The odds are looking pretty good as I think one of either Philly and NJ hit the wall at some point soon. I thought the Canes were toast a few weeks ago. Their recent play is a nice surprise.

Regarding the game, nice to see Faulk wake up and Aho and Skinner continue to have magic. As long as Ward doesn't fall apart, the Canes actually should be favored from here on out to make the playoffs. Francis is actually in a buyer position right now and it will be interesting to see what he can add without hurting the long term prospects.

I'm not sold Francis will be a buyer yet. Of course I'm not sure he even knows what he's doing yet either. Maybe he proves me wrong.

Even Hanifin has looked quicker and faster and making good decisions with the puck. Something has definitely changed.

yea, I feel the same way. I'm just not sure that he has the stomach to kick one of the top 3 centers (or wingers) to the curb and bringing in another 4C aint gonna be the difference in this team making the playoffs or not.
I'm not sold Francis will be a buyer yet. Of course I'm not sure he even knows what he's doing yet either. Maybe he proves me wrong.

Does Phaneuf make them better?

Maybe. They could use the grit and experience on the back end and Nate Thompson certainly fits their mold up front. Honestly the Kings have sort of floated through the season so maybe getting rid of the Floater in Chief (Gaborik) is supposed to light the fire a bit. When that team is engaged, they're a handful. I think you saw a bit of what I was concerned about in this matchup when LA decided not to go down gently after barfing up 5 goals. I'm not so sure Carolina went flat as much as LA just woke up. But like most any team, when they aren't on their game then the Kings have holes and Quick just isn't the keeper he used to be. He ain't bad, but he's not stealing games not he regular the way he did a few years ago.

Carolina ... jeez. They came out flying, which is fairly normal, but this time they converted some chances and rolled from there. They aren't going to lose many games when Faulk scores on two long bombs, much less when he clicks on three of them. It's clearly a team that needs a taste of success before they start to really click on offense ... which I guess makes sense for a young team without the strongest of leadership groups.

I don't think anything has changed in terms of playoff chances. They still need some creativity up front and for either Ward or a player to be named to step up in net. Cam's been pretty good since they handed him the crease, but only that. A veteran on D to give you an option aside from Fluery or Dalbeck wouldn't hurt either. It's not like they're home and dry even if they finish off February on a good note. If Francis isn't buying if they get to the end February in a similar position that they're in now, then I fail to see a reason why not. We've got clear cut needs and the organizational resources to make a move or two without damaging anything in the big picture.

yea, I feel the same way. I'm just not sure that he has the stomach to kick one of the top 3 centers (or wingers) to the curb and bringing in another 4C aint gonna be the difference in this team making the playoffs or not.

When I see the demands being made by GM's for the so called rentals and players available heading to the deadline I just chuckle and laugh. Some of these GM's should try used car sales or the comedy circuit with these sale pitches. Derek Brassard for a first round pick, a prospect and a decent roster player? Rick Nash and that jumbo size contract for a first and two high end prospects? Come on folks, even selling snow to Eskimos seems like a better idea than some of these sales pitches out there!

I'd like to see Francis make a move for some additional scoring and size up front, maybe not a home run sell the farm trade for a guy like Mike Hoffman or Evander Kane...but you could still try and land a player like Chris Kreider or Boone Jenner to upgrade the forward mix. Francis has enough cap space, young assets and draft picks to make at least one move to bring in some forward help.

The rumored asking prices of players who are available is laughable. I hope none of these guys are serious. But it's becoming more and more obvious that the old days of the deadline being super interesting are long gone. You have guys like Francis who are too timid to do ANYTHING, and the ones who are drunk or high asking for the moon for bad contracts.

What GMs are asking for.....and what they will receive are two separate things! There is also the fact that most of the splashy, big name deals rarely work out at the deadline. It is usually the depth moves that help out the future Stanley Cup champions or conference finalists more. When is the last time the big name moving at the deadline worked?

That said, you will see a couple of teams go all in and overpay for help. Organizations know when the window is closing on their chances and they might as well go for it. I just don't get the asking price for a guy like Rick Nash. Seems kinda washed up to me.....

Back