• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Canes @ Devils 2/15 7:00 pm EST

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Will the Canes remember how to drive to the airport? Their first road game since January 25th sees the Canes taking a one game trip to lovely northern New Jersey to kick off a two games out of three home and home mini-series with the Devils. As we sit today, these are your two Easter Conference wildcard teams and they are separated by one thin point. So, nothing on the line then, eh?

The injury to Corey Schneider set the Devils back pretty significantly, with Keith Kinkaid struggling mightily. Eddie Lack is the backup and we're likely to see both of them in this set. I haven't seen anything about Carolina's likely lineups yet, so let's assume Ward vs Kincaid tonight and Ward vs Lack Sunday ... with Darling picking up the game against the Isles on Friday. NJ is coming off of a big shootout win over Philly to snap a 4 game losing streak. Carolina is coming off of that butt whipping of the Kings on Tuesday and have responded well to line changes that have kind of evened out the lines a bit in terms of responsibility. Aho's move to center seems to be paying off in spades as well.

So, two teams pretty much trending in opposite directions. This is a golden opportunity for Carolina to steal 4 points from a fellow wildcard scrapper. This needs to be a get it done moment. Let's see how they respond to the pressure.

Edited to reflect that fact that we actually play the Islanders on Friday and I got the NYC Metro area fest that is this extended weekend jumbled in my feeble brain. Peace

Last edited:
No morning skate today. Will they start the way they started the Kings game or the way they finished?

Will the Canes remember how to drive to the airport? Their first road game since January 25th sees the Canes taking a one game trip to lovely northern New Jersey to kick off a two games out of three home and home mini-series with the Devils. As we sit today, these are your two Easter Conference wildcard teams and they are separated by one thin point. So, nothing on the line then, eh?

The injury to Corey Schneider set the Devils back pretty significantly, with Keith Kinkaid struggling mightily. Eddie Lack is the backup and we're likely to see both of them in this set. I haven't seen anything about Carolina's likely lineups yet, so let's assume Ward vs Kincaid tonight and Ward vs Lack Sunday ... with Darling picking up the game against the Isles on Friday. NJ is coming off of a big shootout win over Philly to snap a 4 game losing streak. Carolina is coming off of that butt whipping of the Kings on Tuesday and have responded well to line changes that have kind of evened out the lines a bit in terms of responsibility. Aho's move to center seems to be paying off in spades as well.

So, two teams pretty much trending in opposite directions. This is a golden opportunity for Carolina to steal 4 points from a fellow wildcard scrapper. This needs to be a get it done moment. Let's see how they respond to the pressure.

Edited to reflect that fact that we actually play the Islanders on Friday and I got the NYC Metro area fest that is this extended weekend jumbled in my feeble brain. Peace

New Jersey is this year's winner of the Overachiever award...I just look up and down that lineup and see ok talent and depth and you have to wonder how they have been in a solid playoff spot all season long. All the experts had the Devils pegged as a bottom feeder in the East and I honestly do not see them as a playoff team when all the dust settles. A decent weekend for the Canes against these Metro foes would do wonders heading down the stretch.

New Jersey is this year's winner of the Overachiever award...I just look up and down that lineup and see ok talent and depth and you have to wonder how they have been in a solid playoff spot all season long. All the experts had the Devils pegged as a bottom feeder in the East and I honestly do not see them as a playoff team when all the dust settles. A decent weekend for the Canes against these Metro foes would do wonders heading down the stretch.

Aside from Hall, who has been really good all season, they're good but not great at pretty much every phase. It's just a balanced, well constructed, relatively cheap lineup.

Note ... forgot to mention that this is the Canes' Moms Weekend. I mean, they'll behave on the road, at least ... right?

I always worried about the Canes when things seem to be going well. They kicked the Kings off the ice (after some tense moments in the late 2nd and early 3rd), so I hope they're feeling confident about their lines, their individual play and their coach. Stay loose and play hard boys!

Ummm... Vegas?

Great angle play by Darling there allows the Devils to tie it up at 1 with only 9 seconds left in the period.

Last edited:
Nice, more Darling brilliance puts the Canes behind.

And Pesce evens it up less than a minute later. The team is busting their ass out there for you Darling how about raising your game for them?

Last edited:
Nice, more Darling brilliance puts the Canes behind.

And Pesce evens it up less than a minute later. The team is busting their ass out there for you Darling how about raising your game for them?

Those first 2 were awful. His rebound control is brutal as it is and then he compounded it by missing the puck when he tried to cover it.

Please at least call up Nedeljkovic to make the next non-Cam back to back start. Use the extra roster spot for that and then send Neds back down after the start.

Faulk and Fleury pairing is a tuff one. I know the youngster needs playing time but there’s been some painful learning while he’s getting it.

Please at least call up Nedeljkovic to make the next non-Cam back to back start. Use the extra roster spot for that and then send Neds back down after the start.

TT fell down on the first goal, and Fleury misplayed the puck in the corner in the 2nd. But at some point SD has to make a save. I have no confidence that the Hurricanes will win any game that Darling starts. I just don't see how you can start him any game the rest of the season that means something in the standing.

February 15th. That kids, is the day the talk of playoff dreams died. Flwury is horrible. Darling is an easy scapegoat, but the team is crap in front of him. Time to sell Ronnie. This is NOT a team capable of making the post season.

This is certainly not the end of our playoff hopes, but it should be the end of rotating Darling in the lineup - he should only play if Ward is exhausted - assuming he's allowed to stay in Raleigh for the duration of the season. He's completely broken right now and he's not going to get better without a change of venue - either in Charlotte, with another team, or in a psychiatrist's office over the summer.

Back