• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes vs Islanders ... 2/16 7:30

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Hey ... we have another game tonight. Quit making me do these threads, willya? :smilewinkgrin:

Back on the horse for the Canes. The Isles come in trailing Carolina by one slim point for the 2nd wildcard slot, and having beaten the Rangers 3-0 last night while the Canes struggled in Jersey. Carolina is going to need all the support their Moms can offer for this one. Ward is ABSOLUTELY going to start ... from there, who knows? I didn't think they played badly last night against the Devs, but some individual breakdowns combined with spectacularly bad goaltending doomed them to a lopsided loss.

Specifics don't matter ... this is a get it done moment. Any how, any way, any body.

We need to see a strong showing from everyone tonight. Can Cam continue to give us a solid chance in net? Lord, I sure hope so.

We need to see a strong showing from everyone tonight. Can Cam continue to give us a solid chance in net? Lord, I sure hope so.

Well ... he's still generally good for one softie a game, but he doesn't quit when he screws up and then proceed to barf up ... I dunno ... 5.

I wonder if something is wrong with Darling... It doesn't make sense for him to have just gotten incompetent - sure he might not be starting material, but he made it all the way up to last year - without anyone realizing he has no ability at all? That doesn't seem likely. I was wondering about his eyes as someone else mentioned on another thread. But also, he just doesn't look at all like a well conditioned healthy athlete should look.

But I don't want to see him in net unless there's some kind of aha moment like - duh, he was wearing Skinners contact lenses or has been putting his helmet on backwards, or Scott Darling is enjoying the benefits of his big contract in the tropics, and his twin brother the accountant is standing in for him... something like that.

Last edited:
Give him some glasses and a ping pong paddle to improve his hand eye. At the least try to pay attention to what you are doing. Maybe he is thinking too fast or too worried about his next move and forgets to do the first task first. Maybe get off the mind drugs, if applicable, if there is hallucination involved. :)

All jokes aside he needs to be evaluated for obvious huge whiffs. Is there a doctor in the house?

Put on IR and evaluate?

Last edited:
Nerves? Jitters? Confidence shot to hell because the team plays like a dumpster fire in front of him? Old catch 22, he plays poorly, team plays poorly for him. But I have started to wonder if he isnt suffering from his prior addictions. Just my own curiousity....

Severe social anxieties, treated with alcohol, and lack of success in pro sports is probably a volatile mix.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/a...ott-darling-wants-to-make-his-mark-on-the-nhl

Yeah ... how about we keep any speculation about substance issues on the down low? I don't want anybody to get the wrong idea even though I know you guys mean well and have no malice. I've seen enough fans on social media throwing our accusations o towards Scott that I just don't want to be "that guy" on this board ... ya know?

There are any number of issues that could be to blame for Darling's level of play this season ... starting with a loss of confidence/mojo/whatever. That seems most likely to me given that he actually didn't start out the season as the total train wreck he has become over time. He got a few unlucky bounces early but generally looked fairly good in net. His play deteriorated pretty quickly when the miscues started piling up. And look ... new team, new teammates, new city, loss of his Chicago support systems ... none of that is easy, especially when you're struggling.

You're right JB. Things like that can take on a mind of there own (no pun intended). As hard as I try to stay away from social media, I am being dragged into it scratching and clawing. Try being a Talent Advocate and not being on social media.

I don't think anyone is suggesting he's fallen off the wagon. But having severe social anxiety, and then playing like garbage, can't be good on his psyche. It's got to be a huge mental hurdle. The current situation has to be brutal on him. Team has no confidence in him, he has no confidence in himself, and it's only snowballing. This is how he got in trouble several years ago. That will keep good men awake at night.

Honestly, I don't know that I've ever felt worse for a Canes player who was struggling as I do for Darling.

Honestly, I don't know that I've ever felt worse for a Canes player who was struggling as I do for Darling.

My thoughts exactly. I feel terrible for him and I think most people on this board do, too. That's why a change of scenery would do him good.

I was happy when Darling was signed. And I'm extremely pulling for him to find his way. Life should always be about 2nd chances. But something has to give. He can't keep sharting the bed. I think he needs to string together a bunch of starts in Charlotte and see if he can get his $#!+ straight. If not, buy him out. This can't continue.

Outshooting the Islanders at a better than 2-1 rate, outplaying them for most of the night yet the pop gun offense finds a way to be down 1-0! Good God, watching stone hands like Nordstrom, Stempniak and Rask try to score goals is like the Good Old Days of Ryan Bayda, Chad LaRose and Hands of Feet Craig Adams.

I think this team needs psychoanalysis. We get on a minor win streak and then all of a sudden we're in playoff contention and they just crumble. I knew we would pay the price for outshooting an opponent without anything to show for it. I can't say we lacked effort tonight. Hell, we outplayed the Isles for 3 periods. But we couldn't shoot any more directly at their goalie than if he had a target on his chest.

Back