• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018 NHL trade deadline, Monday February the 26th, 3pm

I'm big time against trading something significant for Ryan Nugent-Hopkins myself. He would be just another #2 center here at best, middling around 50 points at most and not making any of our wingers better. We need someone better than that, although he would be miles better than Rask or Ryan, but so would most other centers in the league.

Yeah ... production wise he's only Rask-like, but with a more rounded game with less of the Cloak of Invisibility. That's a useful player, but only to a point. You don't sell the farm for a guy like the Nuge

We don't need more #2 and overslotted #3 centers. The need for a #1 center on this team is so glaring it can blind you if you're not careful.

Who? How? Please explain...because that's maybe the hardest thing to find in the NHL.

It’s not going to happen at the trade deadline. It will take big bucks and strong selling skills when the free agency window opens.

My point is that we should avoid making a half-assed move now and end up with more centers incapable of being “The Man.” Unless some ridiculous, unforeseen opportunity falls into our lap, the plan should be to seek out the #1 center in free agency.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It’s not going to happen at the trade deadline. It will take big bucks and strong selling skills when the free agency window opens.

My point is that we should avoid making a half-assed move noon and end up with more centers incapable of being “The Man.” Unless some ridiculous, unforeseen opportunity falls into our lap, the plan should be to seek out the #1 center in free agency.

If we had more than one or two centers capable of being "A Man" I would agree. As it is, we have no 1C, and we are playing Rask and Ryan in 2 of the other spots. A legitimate 2C would be a big step up. Even if we make a move for "The Man" this offseason, we still need 4 centers and we have 1 or 2 now.

My point is that we should avoid making a half-assed move now and end up with more centers incapable of being “The Man.” Unless some ridiculous, unforeseen opportunity falls into our lap, the plan should be to seek out the #1 center in free agency.

Then it's John Tavares or bust as there are no other #1 centers heading for UFA this summer...if he even makes it that far.

Top 30 UFA's

If we had more than one or two centers capable of being "A Man" I would agree. As it is, we have no 1C, and we are playing Rask and Ryan in 2 of the other spots. A legitimate 2C would be a big step up. Even if we make a move for "The Man" this offseason, we still need 4 centers and we have 1 or 2 now.

While I agree Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is a second line center and we would over-slot him, we will still need a second line center after the earth opens up and spits out a first line center. I wonder if having Ryan Nugent-Hopkins would help a true number one to consider joining the Canes. There really isn't a good reason for an elite player to come here unless they just want a boatload of money and a shorter work year.

I think Faulk for Nugent-Hopkins is a pretty good trade. It's merely a start, but he's at the right age where he will still be around when the pups mature and we have more talent to attract those elite players.

We still would need a goalie. But hey, We have a pretty good third line in the NHL McGinn-Stall-Lindholm I also think Pesce and Slavin work so well together that I'd make both of them untouchable. It's not that I think Pesce is an elite, I just think he helps make Slavin better and vice versa. I wouldn't want to screw with that.

We still would need a goalie. But hey, We have a pretty good third line in the NHL McGinn-Stall-Lindholm I also think Pesce and Slavin work so well together that I'd make both of them untouchable. It's not that I think Pesce is an elite, I just think he helps make Slavin better and vice versa. I wouldn't want to screw with that.

This. And might I add that we have a pretty good 4th line too. So to sum up our needs:

1st and 2nd Lines that can score goals.
2nd and 3rd D that play defense and don't shy away from the physical play.
1G that will steal more games than he lets slip away.

Not too much to ask ... Sheesh... We've got trouble, right here in River City.

:frown2: :banghead: :explode

Faulk is still a relatively young guy and frankly, he's being asked to do way too much. He needs a proven vet to help with the heavy lifting. I'd still be fine trading him if the return was right tho.

Some other options from some guy who used to be smart but now works a ESPN- the place where you go to be a celebrity.

Ottawa’s Derick Brassard or Mike Hoffman.
Rangers’ J.T. Miller.

Faulk is still a relatively young guy and frankly, he's being asked to do way too much. He needs a proven vet to help with the heavy lifting. I'd still be fine trading him if the return was right tho.

I agree, but I do believe we will need to move Hannifin or Faulk. I'd want Faulk if I was trading something of value. That's just me.

The Washington Capitals have acquired defenseman Jakub Jerabek from the Montreal Canadiens in exchange for a fifth round draft pick in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft.

Some other options from some guy who used to be smart but now works a ESPN- the place where you go to be a celebrity.

Ottawa’s Derick Brassard or Mike Hoffman.
Rangers’ J.T. Miller.

Mike Hoffman, if available, would definitely help on the left side and push McGinn to the bottom six.

28 years old, borderline 60-point player the last three seasons and on track for 50 this season (currently at 39, which would be third most on our team) on a sputtering team (stats), with two more seasons at $5.65M/season on his current contract.

That's the kind of top-six add that would not only goose our anemic scoring but also help out the next two seasons while we sort out what we have in Charlotte (if anything) and wait for Necas and Aho to grow.

A short term deal for a rental center who can fill a role for the rest f the season and then pudge off into free agency would be fine with me. Frankly, anything that gives us an option that isn't Rask or Ryan would be an improvement.

The 1C issue is not, as CM points out, likely to get resolved at the deadline. Big deals are generally draft weekend stuff ... or free agency, in which case you're just talking Tavares. That's not a wise bet, as he'll have better options in all likelihood.

Big stumbling block ... not at ALL convinced that Peters would play a guy like Brassard ahead of two guys he's in love with for reasons entirely his own.

Then also bring in a coach who doesnt have his skull up his posterior!

How about Joel Quennville (after Chicago inevitably fires him)...and tell him to pack up Toews and bring him along, too.

There's your 1C and captain. And Quennville has a couple of more seasons at $6M on Chicago's bank account...so should be willing to work for us at a discount. Especially with his captain in tow. :sarcasm

Of course those next two seasons of Toews are going to hurt ($12M next season and $9.8M in '19-'20) before settling down to $7M± for a couple of more seasons to carry him to age 34.

Heck, Joel already knows a good portion of our lineup, so no introductions even needed.

How about Joel Quennville (after Chicago inevitably fires him)...and tell him to pack up Toews and bring him along, too.

There's your 1C and captain. And Quennville has a couple of more seasons at $6M on Chicago's bank account...so should be willing to work for us at a discount. Especially with his captain in tow. :sarcasm

Of course those next two seasons of Toews are going to hurt ($12M next season and $9.8M in '19-'20) before settling down to $7M± for a couple of more seasons to carry him to age 34.

Heck, Joel already knows a good portion of our lineup, so no introductions even needed.

and he's Ronnies brother in law.

and he's Ronnies brother in law.

I knew he overlapped with Francis as a Hartford Whaler. But had no idea they were that closely associated.

Although here's a report of the Whaler gang, including Francis (see photo) getting together to party with the Cup one of the years Joel got his name on it: Joel Quennville, Former Whalers Teammates Party with Stanley Cup on Boat in Chicago

Well...how about that? Now that joke rumor does at least have some legs to it. It could happen.

Last edited:
Back