• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018 NHL trade deadline, Monday February the 26th, 3pm

well I guess it makes people feel good that an "important" person also wants the coach/GM to be fired? I think Dundon will decide about that without worrying about local media opinions. I mean he's only got $1 billion more bucks than a local media hack.

The rumor is that Ottawa is taking pitches on Karlsson this week, and part of the ask is to take on Bobby Ryan. He has a $7.25 cap hit for the next 4 years, and owed about $32 in cash. There aren't many ways for Dundon to leverage his ability to spend without taking on a lot of risk (i.e. if he's trying to acquire a superstar, even an expensive one, the return package would likely hurt a lot, and unfortunately we're likely a few years from a major FA signing here). That's a huge commitment, and it doesn't solve EITHER of our main issues, but might it be something to explore? It's hard to imagine any other teams in the league being in a better position to take on both the Ryan and Karlsson contracts. Getting a top 5-10 guy in the league in Karlsson, and then trading Faulk for a C? Of course that would require not one but 2 trades, and Ronnie hasn't shown much of an aptitude for that.

well I guess it makes people feel good that an "important" person also wants the coach/GM to be fired? I think Dundon will decide about that without worrying about local media opinions. I mean he's only got $1 billion more bucks than a local media hack.

Fine. Since Dundon is the only one that matters, then I guess we should all just shut up and let him get on with it then.

The rumor is that Ottawa is taking pitches on Karlsson this week, and part of the ask is to take on Bobby Ryan. He has a $7.25 cap hit for the next 4 years, and owed about $32 in cash. There aren't many ways for Dundon to leverage his ability to spend without taking on a lot of risk (i.e. if he's trying to acquire a superstar, even an expensive one, the return package would likely hurt a lot, and unfortunately we're likely a few years from a major FA signing here). That's a huge commitment, and it doesn't solve EITHER of our main issues, but might it be something to explore? It's hard to imagine any other teams in the league being in a better position to take on both the Ryan and Karlsson contracts. Getting a top 5-10 guy in the league in Karlsson, and then trading Faulk for a C? Of course that would require not one but 2 trades, and Ronnie hasn't shown much of an aptitude for that.

That's the kind of total course correction that you contemplate in the off season, I think. If you go all in on two big contract guys, then you need the flexibility to adjust the roster around them so that you avoid the lack of impact that those same two players are having in Ottawa right now. IMO that's not the kind of thing you can do at the deadline unless you've got a deep and experienced roster to plug them into after the dust settles.

That said ... you don't see legit all league defensemen hit the market everyday. Making a big move now might end up scuttling this season's playoff chances, but set you up to be a quantum step better going into next season. But Francis? God no. He's never doing that.

According to capfriendly.com, Karlsson has a modified NTC; he has to submit a list of 10 teams he won't accept a trade to. So we don't even know which side of the ledger the Canes are. Same with Nash, although his list is 12 he would accept a trade to.

Yeah, that is WAY outside of Ronnie's comfort zone as far as we can tell. A trade like that would require a massive outlay of assets going the other way, even for a team willing to eat Bobby Ryan's contract. That also doesn't fix the goaltending or our need for a 1C. Justin Faulk is probably not going to get us a 1C (more like a Ryan Nugent Hopkins level 2C at best).

Not that this would necessarily be a terrible thing, but a trade like that would require a complete reset of our entire roster for next season and seasons after that. While we are sitting way below the salary cap right now, our cap hit goes way way up next season with Slavin and Pesce's new deals and with Lindholm and Hanifin needing new contracts. Surely we would have to send some NHL players back for Karlsson and Ryan along with prospects/picks, so that balances out some of it (maybe Hanifin or Pesce would be part of such a trade), but we would still likely be much closer to the cap with still no #1 center and a pop gun offense.

I'm with JB...something that dramatic needs to wait for the offseason as it would really force several other changes to our roster to make it all work. I'm sure Dundon would love to work with Ronnie to make a big splash, but that is too splashy to do before the trade deadline in my opinion. Also Karlsson has a NTC allowing him to list 10 teams he cannot be traded to. You wonder if we are on that list....

But since this is all Trade Deadline fantasy land, let's throw out what that all might look like if we wanted to make that trade before the deadline. I'll go first:

Erik Karlsson and Bobby Ryan

for

Elias Lindholm, Brett Pesce, Julian Gauthier, and the Canes 1st round pick in 2018 (lottery protected)

Then

Justin Faulk

for

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

That would replace Faulk with Karlsson and Lindholm with Nugent-Hopkins while opening up another BIG hole at RD (which would need to be closed via another trade or a huge leap of faith on Roland McKeown). And I might be WAY under what the Sens expected return is to make such a trade and well under what the Oilers would want back for Nugent-Hopkins. And of course, no #1 center still and no goalie help (Ottawa has none to offer, Craig Anderson is not a solution). Then you have to pay Karlsson eventually ($10 million+ cap hit and salary for a LONG LONG time, until he is well into his mid-30s).

Considering Ronnie hasn't even made a small trade of an NHLer for an NHLer mid-season in his entire career as our primary GM, its hard to envision the Canes being involved in something of that magnitude before the deadline. Always fun to think about big trades though. I can't say that such a thing isn't possible in the offseason, but before the deadline that would be a serious stretch to do.

Last edited:
Rangers have acquired defenseman Rob O’Gara and a third round pick in the 2018 NHL Draft from the Bruins for Nick Holden.

What former Hurricane is out there for Ronnie to overpay for? That's his one big move.

Other than Andrej Sekera or Kris Versteeg or Brandon Sutter, there are none out there what would be available. Not Eric Staal (on 70 point pace), not Riley Nash (56 games 10 goals 17 assists +10), not Ron Hainsey (huge part of the Leafs blueline), probably not Matt Cullen.

Francis will blow me away if he acquires even a decent 2C (which is all that is realistically out there) by the trade deadline. At this point, I'm just hoping for a top-six winger add and a legit top-4 D-man to cover whatever has to leave for the forward upgrade.

I agree that big moves (which are hard to even imagine, much as I want them) are more likely off-season moves.

I'd be content trying to move deadwood for next to nothing to allow fresh blood from Charlotte to take a shot at finding some offense here.

If nothing else, Francis needs to shop for at least 2 to 3 needs that could certainly be had before the deadline.

#1: He needs another young goaltender in the system that just may become an option next year if Darling continues to suck and Ward leaves via free agency or is cut loose. Jon Gillies is a guy that Calgary is shopping, he's had more than enough time to develop in the AHL the past few years and is said to be ready for at the very least an NHL backup job. Wont cost a fortune to pay and has lots of upside.

#2: Go get another option at center...Boone Jenner, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins...they need help down the middle, Rask is terrible, go find another center quick!

#3: A winger that is not afraid to go to the front of the net on a regular basis and score some dirty goals in those dirty areas. Patrick Maroon is being shopped, do a sign and trade for Maroon, he can score 20 goals and is that big body winger this team craves. Can even provide some protection and muscle up front when needed.

And for what it's worth, please try and find any takers for Ryan and Stempniak...neither of those two should be in the future plans of this team.

Speaking of the Wiz, I was watching him play the other day for Team USA and he might have been the slowest guy on skates...he was beaten so bad on a couple of plays that it looked like he was skating in sand.

Apparently that knee injury left him with limited mobility, even this far down the road. He’s about half the skater he used to be. The US are really just trying to get power play help out of the guy, but they’re forced to let him take some shifts at some point and he’s basically immobile. It’s sad, really. Wiz is a good guy and I hate to see him getting blown by like that.

Yeah, that is WAY outside of Ronnie's comfort zone as far as we can tell. A trade like that would require a massive outlay of assets going the other way, even for a team willing to eat Bobby Ryan's contract. That also doesn't fix the goaltending or our need for a 1C. Justin Faulk is probably not going to get us a 1C (more like a Ryan Nugent Hopkins level 2C at best).

Not that this would necessarily be a terrible thing, but a trade like that would require a complete reset of our entire roster for next season and seasons after that. While we are sitting way below the salary cap right now, our cap hit goes way way up next season with Slavin and Pesce's new deals and with Lindholm and Hanifin needing new contracts. Surely we would have to send some NHL players back for Karlsson and Ryan along with prospects/picks, so that balances out some of it (maybe Hanifin or Pesce would be part of such a trade), but we would still likely be much closer to the cap with still no #1 center and a pop gun offense.

I'm with JB...something that dramatic needs to wait for the offseason as it would really force several other changes to our roster to make it all work. I'm sure Dundon would love to work with Ronnie to make a big splash, but that is too splashy to do before the trade deadline in my opinion. Also Karlsson has a NTC allowing him to list 10 teams he cannot be traded to. You wonder if we are on that list....

But since this is all Trade Deadline fantasy land, let's throw out what that all might look like if we wanted to make that trade before the deadline. I'll go first:

Erik Karlsson and Bobby Ryan

for

Elias Lindholm, Brett Pesce, Julian Gauthier, and the Canes 1st round pick in 2018 (lottery protected)

Then

Justin Faulk

for

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

That would replace Faulk with Karlsson and Lindholm with Nugent-Hopkins while opening up another BIG hole at RD (which would need to be closed via another trade or a huge leap of faith on Roland McKeown). And I might be WAY under what the Sens expected return is to make such a trade and well under what the Oilers would want back for Nugent-Hopkins. And of course, no #1 center still and no goalie help (Ottawa has none to offer, Craig Anderson is not a solution). Then you have to pay Karlsson eventually ($10 million+ cap hit and salary for a LONG LONG time, until he is well into his mid-30s).

Considering Ronnie hasn't even made a small trade of an NHLer for an NHLer mid-season in his entire career as our primary GM, its hard to envision the Canes being involved in something of that magnitude before the deadline. Always fun to think about big trades though. I can't say that such a thing isn't possible in the offseason, but before the deadline that would be a serious stretch to do.

Yeah, I totally agree with all the reasons it's unlikley, bordering on nonsense. But it's fun to think about, and there can't be many teams with the $13m in cap space. And I have never watched a Canes-Sens game and not thought Karlsson is playing a different game than everyone else on the ice.

By the way, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins has missed the past 4 weeks and won't be back until March if you are thinking about what centers are out there that we might trade for BEFORE the trade deadline. Nugent-Hopkins wouldn't be one of those so add your favorite #2 center on a going nowhere team in place of RNH in my big trade example if you are thinking 'before the deadline'. Offseason deal RNH would be back in play.

For the record, I like "the Nuge" but I'm not sure about him fitting in here. He's not especially big, not especially creative as the years have gone on and is the kind of tweener center that Carolina has tended to over-slot badly in their recent history. Nugent Hopkins just strikes me as the kind of guy we'd call a number one center for about 6 years even if he doesn't produce like one.

Again ... I like the kid. He's a battler and plays with a bit of the swagger that comes from being one of the best junior players of his age ... but he's a real candidate to frustrate.

I'm big time against trading something significant for Ryan Nugent-Hopkins myself. He would be just another #2 center here at best, middling around 50 points at most and not making any of our wingers better. We need someone better than that, although he would be miles better than Rask or Ryan, but so would most other centers in the league.

I agree. Never been a big fan of RNH trade proposals.

Makes Jordan Staal money ($6M/yr) for the next three seasons (through '20-'21) but doesn't have Jordan's impact either in points or intangibles. Might go over 20 goals this season for the first time since '14-'15, but doesn't make up for it with a high assists number either. Been well below 50 points since that 20+ goal season, as well.

Like to think we can do better. Necas might well exceed his capabilities.

Back