• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018 NHL trade deadline, Monday February the 26th, 3pm

Stuck to the top.

Over/Under on how many trades the Canes make before the deadline? For betting purposes, I'd assume it's fairly low ... like 1.

I'm more concerned Ronnie makes a desperate lopsided trade that backfires now that there is more money to play with. I want to make the playoffs but I don't want to sell the farm to do so at this point. This team needs a lot of help so any big trade involving picks/prospects of value needs to be both for the short and longer term. ie. now is not the time to trade Bean, Gauthier and a 2nd for Rick Nash.

No rentals (like Nash) unless it's a goalie on a trial subscription.

Will accept remaining contract seasons if it fits a need that will be there next season, as well...like top-six talent...or a #4 vet D-man. That will separate us from the rental crowd.

Take anything you can get for the deadwood that needs to go. AHL any remaining holes.

Last edited:
Again I would like Ronnie to not be completely stupid here considering our position at the moment, but it would be hard to accept that NOTHING gets done over the next 6 days via a trade.

On the goaltending front if something is going to be done it should be done by Thursday...be that waiving Darling and calling up Neds for a start @Detroit on Saturday or trading for Raanta or someone else and maybe carrying 3 goalies for a bit. Yeah, the Flyers went out and got Mrazek for conditional 3rd and 4th round picks, but they were facing a situation where they had both of their goalies hurt. Not quite the same situation for the Canes, but we are currently facing 5 more starts by Darling over the final 22 games (assuming we don't completely fall out of the playoff race, which is normally what happens to us right about this time of the year). Even one more Darling horrible start is unacceptable.

That goalie situation comes to a head in just 4 days from now. What are you going to do Ronnie? Are we really going to play Darling on Saturday, risk the loss, and THEN make a move? Why wait? Yes I appreciate that we can't leave Charlotte with just Jeremy Smith there if we recall Neds, but Darling should be able to stop AHL level shooters enough to keep Charlotte on a playoff path. And if we somehow (miraculously) lose Darling via waivers, well then, consider yourself lucky GMRF. Offer up a 3rd round pick for Raanta and then you can do whatever you want with Darling for the rest of the year. But for crying out loud, DON'T START DARLING AGAIN IF WE ARE STILL IN THE PLAYOFF HUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!]

Oh, and while we are at it, TRADE DEREK RYAN!!!!!! If JR really still wants him on the Pens, trade him immediately after Friday night's game, I don't care if its a 3rd round pick coming back, a 4th, a bag of pucks, just get rid of the guy before Peters has another chance to play him 20 minutes again. Great, he wins faceoffs. Great, he can kill penalties. The guy gets completely driven off the puck every single time and has been useless save for winning some faceoffs for more than 2 months now. And its Wallmark who only plays 4 and half minutes? I would rather have ANYONE else in our organization in Ryan's spot going forward. ANYONE!

ARGH!!!!!!!! DO SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I think RF is like the groundhog-- he's afraid of his own shadow. Pennsylvania may have Punxsutawney Phil, we have Carolina Ron. Drafting and tweaking the edges has done nothing.

Also Mrazek to the Flyers... let the games begin

On those conditional picks the Wings get for Mrazek:

4th round pick in 2018 becomes a 3rd round pick if Mrazek wins 5 games in the regular season for the Flyers AND they make the playoffs. It becomes a 2nd round pick if the Flyers advance to Eastern Conference finals this year and Mrazek wins at least 6 games in the playoffs

3rd round pick in 2019 is conditional on Mrazek re-signing with the Flyers

The Wings also retained half of Mrazek's cap hit and salary.

Creative and fair in my opinion.

Last edited:
Again I would like Ronnie to not be completely stupid here considering our position at the moment, but it would be hard to accept that NOTHING gets done over the next 6 days via a trade.

On the goaltending front if something is going to be done it should be done by Thursday...be that waiving Darling and calling up Neds for a start @Detroit on Saturday or trading for Raanta or someone else and maybe carrying 3 goalies for a bit. Yeah, the Flyers went out and got Mrazek for conditional 3rd and 4th round picks, but they were facing a situation where they had both of their goalies hurt. Not quite the same situation for the Canes, but we are currently facing 5 more starts by Darling over the final 22 games (assuming we don't completely fall out of the playoff race, which is normally what happens to us right about this time of the year). Even one more Darling horrible start is unacceptable.

That goalie situation comes to a head in just 4 days from now. What are you going to do Ronnie? Are we really going to play Darling on Saturday, risk the loss, and THEN make a move? Why wait? Yes I appreciate that we can't leave Charlotte with just Jeremy Smith there if we recall Neds, but Darling should be able to stop AHL level shooters enough to keep Charlotte on a playoff path. And if we somehow (miraculously) lose Darling via waivers, well then, consider yourself lucky GMRF. Offer up a 3rd round pick for Raanta and then you can do whatever you want with Darling for the rest of the year. But for crying out loud, DON'T START DARLING AGAIN IF WE ARE STILL IN THE PLAYOFF HUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!]

Oh, and while we are at it, TRADE DEREK RYAN!!!!!! If JR really still wants him on the Pens, trade him immediately after Friday night's game, I don't care if its a 3rd round pick coming back, a 4th, a bag of pucks, just get rid of the guy before Peters has another chance to play him 20 minutes again. Great, he wins faceoffs. Great, he can kill penalties. The guy gets completely driven off the puck every single time and has been useless save for winning some faceoffs for more than 2 months now. And its Wallmark who only plays 4 and half minutes? I would rather have ANYONE else in our organization in Ryan's spot going forward. ANYONE!

ARGH!!!!!!!! DO SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep. I would say the issue with Ryan playing so much is Rask being so poor, but then why did Walmark get less than 5 minutes. You already KNOW that Ryan is not able to be competitive with legit NHL talent outside of faceoffs, at least see if Walmark is a better answer. I can't believe Peters is still the coach after this weekend. And why cancel practice yesterday? They sure didn't look like a team that didn't need practice. I thought maybe RF told him to not plan practice yesterday because a shoe was going to drop. silly me.

On those conditional picks the Wings get for Mrazek:

4th round pick in 2018 becomes a 3rd round pick if Mrazek wins 5 games in the regular season for the Flyers AND they make the playoffs. It becomes a 2nd round pick if the Flyers advance to Eastern Conference finals this year and Mrazek wins at least 6 games in the playoffs

3rd round pick in 2019 is conditional on Mrazek re-signing with the Flyers

The Wings also retained half of Mrazek's cap hit and salary.

Creative and fair in my opinion.

Completely fair. I'm not so sure that Mrazek's problems this season aren't directly tied to the quality of the D in front of him ... which is kind of garbage. He's experienced in these scenarios and should do a good job for Philly. For Carolina's situation I would prefer they took a chance on Raanta and let Cam carry the starter load for as long as he can. It's a lower risk play and avoids being put in the situation of having to play Darling ... or just as bad, having to play Ward in back to back games. I do not feel that our current goalie tandem is going to allow us to make the playoffs without some sort of sustained offensive explosion in front of them. And the odds of that are slim to none to less than none.

DeCock, BTW, absolutely shredded Francis and Peters in that column. I really appreciate his attempts to ratchet up some level of accountability around here.

They deserve it. And more. They are the absolute definition of ineptitude.

Look ... in pretty much any other market outside of maybe Nashville, they'd be getting roasted daily. The failure of our local sports media to develop any kind of NHL savvy over the course of 20 years is absolutely stunning to me.

well the local media priorities here are ACC sports #1 , 2, 3, 4. etc. I think the Canes are around #10 behind curling and chess. As I said before they don't even run Canes articles in the print paper now.

So the team has not made the playoffs since Lincoln was president (or so it seems) and the great columnist bashes the coach and GM. What a shocker. What's next is he going to tell us the Pope is Catholic?

well the local media priorities here are ACC sports #1 , 2, 3, 4. etc. I think the Canes are around #10 behind curling and chess. As I said before they don't even run Canes articles in the print paper now.

So the team has not made the playoffs since Lincoln was president (or so it seems) and the great columnist bashes the coach and GM. What a shocker. What's next is he going to tell us the Pope is Catholic?

So I guess you'd prefer complete silence then?

Back