• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Athletic

Volcanologist

a while back they had a 20% off deal thingy, so I sprung for a year's subscription to try it out.

I'm kinda cheering for Mirtle and for this to work out, tbh. The analysis is more new-school and more in line with how we've been discussing things for years around here. Is some of it trash? sure. but I do find myself reading their articles and am looking forward to their TFC coverage for this season as well.

anyone else subscribe? what do you think of them so far?

The Athletic is great. They've done a good job hiring quality writers. I find their Leafs coverage is writing about the same things we discuss here. We're the target audience.

I've been a tad disappointed so far. Or, at least when I first signed up I checked it often, now I don't really go back much. But more interested in baseball coverage, and they seemed to have hired a ton of new writers for it over the winter. I mean, at the very least, it's not all that expensive, and I shouldn't be so worried about getting my money's worth for a few bucks a month. And it's not like I've read bad coverage or anything, just that they don't quite have enough daily coverage for me to add it to my repertoire.

I think it's awesome. Not sure I'd feel that way if not a Leafs fan on the hockey side.

The depth of coverage of the Leafs is outstanding. Love Wheeler's work on the Marlies/prospects.

Yeah, I've been a subscriber to the Athletic for about a year now, and in particular I'd recommend it to anyone who posts on this board.

Like leafman said, fans like us are the exact target market for the Athletic.

The make a point of avoiding the kind of idiotic, click-baity nonsense you'll see from newspaper columnists and some of the TSN and Sportsnet guys (stuff like the persistent "Leafs should trade Nylander or Marner for an Adam Larsson" commentary we heard last year). In fact, when that kind of stuff starts circulating among the media, someone from the Athletic will usually write a piece ripping that argument to shreds.

And in general, they have good, in-depth analysis, and people that are flat-out good writers.

It's by far the best sportswriting/coverage I've ever encountered anywhere, bar none. Some of them are a bit too focused on mathematical analyses but it's still good to get varying pov.

I've had it about half a year, and I've enjoyed it. They took the best article writers (not just the mindless copy-pasta drones), gave them some freedom, and the material has been solid. Worth it, especially if you spend half of your week in hockey arenas with nothing else to do.

$72 for the year seems like decent value based on the feedback thus far, I may give it a go myself

Its well worth the price....we're real lucky to have it come in to existence at such a perfect time in Leafs history.

Their content has been A+....I'd say they have 85/90% of my favorite hockey writers atm.

Its well worth the price....we're real lucky to have it come in to existence at such a perfect time in Leafs history.

Their content has been A+....I'd say they have 85/90% of my favorite hockey writers atm.

How's their Habs coverage? Any good?

Add me to the fanclub. Had it a while now and their Leafs and overall sports coverage is really good. Long articles and good stories. No autoplay videos or ads.

Sent from my a500 using Tapatalk

I like their stuff, but I have a hard time justifying it cause there are plenty of good hockey reads elsewhere for free (like, on this board) ... and especially now that half the season's already over.

What's their best promotional rate again? If it works out to be $3-4 a month (and I can subscriber only for hockey season not throughout the year) then it's worth it I guess

I like their stuff, but I have a hard time justifying it cause there are plenty of good hockey reads elsewhere for free (like, on this board) ... and especially now that half the season's already over.

What's their best promotional rate again? If it works out to be $3-4 a month (and I can subscriber only for hockey season not throughout the year) then it's worth it I guess
I think it's one of those things you either value or you don't. I read a story a day probably about the Leafs and another about something else so I think it's worth it. But you may not :shrug

Sent from my a500 using Tapatalk

They've got some guys covering the Habs. I've read some of their stuff and it seems good. Not the depth of Leafs coverage. Thing about them is ... they respond to subscription increases in markets. If things go well (which they always seem to do), they will add more coverage.

A lot of the Habs coverage is in French. Here's the guys who seem to cover the Habs:

Olivier Bouchard
Arpon Basu
Mitch Brown
Marc Antoine Godin

Looks like they're pumping out around 3 Habs articles/day (mostly in French). That's not far behind what they do for the Leafs.

Back