• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Plekanec traded to Maple Leafs

Canadiens trade Tomas Plekanec to the Toronto Maple Leafs for Kerby Rychel, a second-round pick in 2018 (TOR's) and defenceman Rinat Valiev.

Better than what I thought we would get. I like it even more that the Leafs think he will help LOL.

At least we got a somewhat good 2nd round pack. we got a 4th liner like bergevin likes them and a defenceman i admitt, know little about.

At least we got a somewhat good 2nd round pack. we got a 4th liner like bergevin likes them and a defenceman i admitt, know little about.

Those two players are nobodies, we did the Leafs a favor by taking two contracts off their hands.

He’s still a useful player that will help Toronto but at least he’ll annoy them with his soft play from time-to-time while doing it.

Tomas Plekanec wanted to stay in the Eastern Conference if he was going to move. He had no trade protection, but Marc Bergevin worked on finding a solution he'd be happy with. An extension was discussed, and parameters are there for him to return to MTL this summer.

Would think because this worked out well for both parties, it might happen. The Winnipeg Jets had an equitable deal on the table for Plek, but Bergevin continued to work on this to try to make him happy. In the end, a very good return for the Habs, especially if he comes back

Plekanec did not want to go West, no matter who was looking at him there.

All above from Eric Engels twitter

Figures Babcock would want a player like Plekanec instead of someone more dynamic. All those irresponsible young bucks on his team must be driving him crazy.

Any Hab fans care to give a scouting report on the kind of player turtleneck is, these days?

I'm guessing Baun isn't much of a real prospect either, going by his age and numbers.

Regarding the prospects you've got---Kerby Rychel came to Toronto after demanding a trade out of Columbus, because he felt he wasn't given an opportunity there. In two years with the Toronto Marlies, Rychel kept falling down the depth chart as he wasn't really making any progress, and other wingers (Marner, Nylander, Brown, Hyman, Kapanen, Leivo, Soshnikov) kept passing him on the depth chart. I honestly think he's just a filler contract in this deal.

As for Valiev, he's another guy that had trouble fighting his way up the depth chart, but I do think he's got an NHL future as a serviceable bottom-pairing guy. There's nothing in particular that stands out about his game, but he's a solid, steady player, and didn't look out of place for his 10-game NHL stint in 2015/16.

I agree, would have preferred one decent prospect instead of two career AHLers, that would have been better.

you are getting your shot at a decent prospect with the 2nd rounder.

we need body in the AHL. with all the call up, the farm time had to sign some nobodies just to have enough player. this address the situation.

Back