• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

CH - History and Traditions

Thunder

I will start this thread by asking posters on this board who have watch or have knowledge of pre-90’s hockey about how the letter “C” was handled when a Captain was out of the line-up under the different regimes and in different eras.

Max Pacioretty is out, nobody will where the C in his absence.

Alexei Kovalev did wear the C during Saku Koivu’s absence.

Please discuss and share opinions.

I remember Serge Savard wearing the C when Cournoyer was injured back in the 70's. Once Cournoyer was forced to retire due to injuries Savard got it full-time until he left for Winnipeg.

I remember it being worn by other players only when it was determined the captain would be out more than a couple of games. For minor injuries there were three Alternates some games.

I remember it being worn by other players only when it was determined the captain would be out more than a couple of games. For minor injuries there were three Alternates some games.

Back when Savard took over for Cournoyer the NHL didn't have assistant or alternate captains. For about a decade the "A" disappeared from the league. Not sure why.

why?

after his subban cry fest i do not want him even wearing an A

It wasn't a cry fest. It was something that needed to be said to Stu Cowan and the other Subban sycophants in the media. They traded this guy almost two years ago. The local media needs to build a bridge and get the f*** over it, already. At a minimum they need to stop asking Habs players to reflect upon Subban at every opportunity. The players have moved on; now it's time for the media to do likewise. That's all Gallagher was saying.

It was definitely a cry fest and pretty annoying.

I like Gallagher though. He tries hard. That's pretty much the only needed criteria for being captain these days.

I wasn't annoyed. If I had been in the room I'd have clapped. The only cry fest going on is with the media about Subban's departure. They still haven't accepted the fact that their human quote machine is gone and they have to actually do some work in order to find stuff to write about now.

Either way - not good leadership.

If the guy cannot handle some subban love from the media he is clearly not the guy for the C.

The Subban debacle is not an issue that is just magically gonna go away. If you think it will, you're delusional.

This is on MB...

The Subban debacle is not an issue that is just magically gonna go away. If you think it will, you're delusional.

This is on MB...

Then let the media pester MB about it. How long do the players have to answer questions about a trade that they played no part in? If Cowan and his cronies want to talk incessantly about Subban let them apply to become beat writers in Nashville. I've moved on and the players obviously have also.

Then let the media pester MB about it. How long do the players have to answer questions about a trade that they played no part in? If Cowan and his cronies want to talk incessantly about Subban let them apply to become beat writers in Nashville. I've moved on and the players obviously have also.

Why is the discussion re Subban worse than when people constantly brought up McDonagh, Kreider or not drafting Giroux etc?

That is the thing. It is becoming obvious that it was the players that wanted PK gone....remember many assumed it was MaxPac that was behind it.

Why is the discussion re Subban worse than when people constantly brought up McDonagh, Kreider or not drafting Giroux etc?

The fans whine about it but it's not like the media is putting a bunch of microphones in front of Gallagher and asking him why this team can't draft properly. We here can discuss things like that until the cows come home amongst ourselves. I'm talking about cutting Gallagher some slack after being asked about Subban for the umpteenth time. What do these reporters expect him to say that he hasn't already said a hundred times over by now?

Because there are non-hockey reasons why some people don't like Subban.

The people that still try to justify the Weber/Subban trade are people that have issues related to Subban in other areas than hockey, and always have.

RE: Gallagher -- I don't have an issue with him being jealous over the popularity of Subban. My concern is that he might be letting that issue impact his personal game.

Because there are non-hockey reasons why some people don't like Subban.

The people that still try to justify the Weber/Subban trade are people that have issues related to Subban in other areas than hockey, and always have.

RE: Gallagher -- I don't have an issue with him being jealous over the popularity of Subban. My concern is that he might be letting that issue impact his personal game.

So far, Gallagher is scoring at a career-best pace so to argue that the Subban thing is having a negative effect on him or that he's jealous of PK's popularity is codswallop.

And anyone in the Habs dressing room who has or had issues with Subban have already said everything they're ever going to about it so to keep asking questions is just an annoying waste of time. If anything, it's PK fans who hold him in a regard far higher than his level of hockey ability is deserving of. Fans didn't whine this much when Lafleur was forced into retirement and he was ten times the player that Subban could ever hope to be.

Back