• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The 2003 Draft

worm

Count gave me this idea.
Remember Akos?

2003 was a great draft but a lot of the players seemed to have slipped up or are now just too old.

1. MAF - Seems to be doing great now. Playoffs though....
2. Staal - He looked to be at the tail end but a great rebound this year and is back up to PPG
3. Horton - Good player but never elite. Career is over (injury).
4. Zherdev - Never amounted to much. In the KHL now.
5. Vanek - Up and down career.

6. Michalek - Decent player, never great-- but basically done now.
7. Suter - Consistent elite dman.
8. Coburn - Average at best Dman.
9. Phaneuf - Built a reputation off a good two years early in his career. On a steady decline.
10. Kostitsyn - A few 20 goal years. Interestingly enough there was not that many easily better players draft ahead of him.

11. Carter - Very good 60 point player
12. Jessiman - massive bust
13. Brown - has slowed down the last few years but a good 20 goal 50 point forward
14. Seabrook - Up and down Dman that has bordered on elite from time to time. Not having a great year this year.
15. Nilsson - Bust - Swiss league

16. Bernier - Bust - AHL
17. Parise - A couple of elite years but just okay these days.
18. Fehr - Basically a bust.
19. Getzlaf - Elite.

20. Burns - Went from good to elite.
21. Stuart - No
22. Pouliot - No
23. Kesler - Good but not elite.
24. Richards - two great years but steady decline right out of the league
25. Stewart - Bust

26. Boyle - Defensive forward.
27. Tambellini - Bust. Two kings players in a row that were less than good.
28. Perry - Up and down but overall a great player.
29. Eaves - Okay player
30. Belle - bust

Still, in their prime, the guys we didn't take like Carter, Getzlaf, Seabrook, Perry and even Richards were all way better than Bustitsyn.

I like what you did there

Still, in their prime, the guys we didn't take like Carter, Getzlaf, Seabrook, Perry and even Richards were all way better than Bustitsyn.

we totally facked up that draft , that was the core group we missed royally with 2 second rounders as well

we totally facked up that draft , that was the core group we missed royally with 2 second rounders as well
As GW has mentioned many times, picking both 2nd rounders from the Mtl Rocket had disaster written all over it from the get go. Which is what concerns me with the upcoming draft - people whine TT hasn't had many 2nd round picks from 2008-2017, however, the years he's had multiple 2nd rounders he's failed miserably: 2003 (2), 2006 (2), 2012 (2), 2013 (3) of those 9-2nd rounders Lekohnen is all there is to show for.

On a positive note, Halak was another TT late round steal in 2003.

Curious if drafting has got better league wide since it went to 7 rounds instead of 9

Curious if drafting has got better league wide since it went to 7 rounds instead of 9
I think it has normalized across the league - the difference between the good & poor drafting teams is not that great if adjusted for teams having repeated top-5 picks.

IMO that’s especially so post 2012 draft - Stevie Y gambled in 2010 & 2011 that his influence at GM meetings to push for a fighting ban would change the dynamics of the game - even though fighting wasn’t banned the shift in focus to speed & skill game paid off as TBay got a head start at the draft table.

Other teams have been playing catch-up those who started it in2012 (Preds) have been able to close the gap especially since their core competency of drafting Dman always held true to form. Others who refused to adjust their strategy accordingly (Habs) are now paying the price.

There's a reason Carter, Getzlaf, Perry, Richards did not go at the top of the draft.

Getzlaf was for character/motivation issues, teams were not sold on his work ethics (or whatever BS).

Yes we passed on all of them, but so did more than half of the league in the case of Getzlaf, Perry, Richards.....and 10 teams passed on Carter, preferring guys like Fleury-Staal-Horton-Zherdev-AKos

As GW has mentioned many times, picking both 2nd rounders from the Mtl Rocket had disaster written all over it from the get go. Which is what concerns me with the upcoming draft - people whine TT hasn't had many 2nd round picks from 2008-2017, however, the years he's had multiple 2nd rounders he's failed miserably: 2003 (2), 2006 (2), 2012 (2), 2013 (3) of those 9-2nd rounders Lekohnen is all there is to show for.

On a positive note, Halak was another TT late round steal in 2003.

3 picks total from the local junior team in the same draft is most definitely a terrible sign.

At least we got Lapierre out of it. Too bad Backes was drafted right after him.

I think it has normalized across the league - the difference between the good & poor drafting teams is not that great if adjusted for teams having repeated top-5 picks.

IMO that’s especially so post 2012 draft - Stevie Y gambled in 2010 & 2011 that his influence at GM meetings to push for a fighting ban would change the dynamics of the game - even though fighting wasn’t banned the shift in focus to speed & skill game paid off as TBay got a head start at the draft table.

Other teams have been playing catch-up those who started it in2012 (Preds) have been able to close the gap especially since their core competency of drafting Dman always held true to form. Others who refused to adjust their strategy accordingly (Habs) are now paying the price.

We tried that strategy first but when we got out muscled by the Sens of all teams in 2013, it all went out the window and that was the beginning of the end for MB and his regime. Summer of 2013 was a terrible off-season for our team and set us back for years. Ironically we made it to the semi-finals the next year.

There's a reason Carter, Getzlaf, Perry, Richards did not go at the top of the draft.

Getzlaf was for character/motivation issues, teams were not sold on his work ethics (or whatever BS).

Yes we passed on all of them, but so did more than half of the league in the case of Getzlaf, Perry, Richards.....and 10 teams passed on Carter, preferring guys like Fleury-Staal-Horton-Zherdev-AKos
Problem is we took a bad character epileptic with a bad back in their place.

We tried that strategy first but when we got out muscled by the Sens of all teams in 2013, it all went out the window and that was the beginning of the end for MB and his regime. Summer of 2013 was a terrible off-season for our team and set us back for years. Ironically we made it to the semi-finals the next year.

Agreed.

Douglas Murray. Wow.

Agreed.

Douglas Murray. Wow.

Sign Murray, Parros and Briere (cap space waste), and draft McCarron, De La Rose with our first 2 picks.

We could have signed Filpulla instead that summer and be in a much better shape at center.

Ahh the good old days arguing about the value of Corsi..

We could have signed Filpulla instead that summer and be in a much better shape at center.
Thought I read somewhere they tried and offered more than TBay but he didn't want to come to Mtl, just as he refused to waive his NMC last years deadline for Mtl.

Back