• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Francis out as GM.....link

The strange twist with Dubas is he has close ties to Ron Francis with both hailing from the Soo.

You're aware that not everybody from the same hometown are buddy buddy, right? Espo is from the Soo and I happen to know that he and Francis barely tolerate each other.

Why do I get the feeling this GM search will play out the same way NC State's coaching search after Herb Sendak left and end up leaving us with no other option but Sidney Lowe??

Is it a matter of Dundon being an outsider who "disrespected" one of their own or is it that Dundon is going to have to find a thick skinned GM who does not mind a bit of micromanaging??

Nah .. cash talks, and BS walks. If Mr $Texas can't find somebody at least moderately appropriate to overpay, I'll be highly surprised.

Hes not going to beg his 19th choice to take the job. I'm not buying into the Toronto press mentality.

Again ... a big enough bag of money and he won't have to. I think the bigger issue is Dundon finding somebody with whom he feels fully comfortable.

I keep wondering why and how the canes have ruined so many players?
Goalies especially. Both lack and darling came in with high expectations and both floundered. Skinner played well for several years and now is horrid, same with Faulk.
I’m guessing here as I’ve only seen a couple practices the last years and no games.
There are several ways of implementing a system around a goalie. The first and most obvious is change the players to play the goalie. The second is to make the goalie change to play around the players and the third is change both players and goalie to do it your way. Personally, and I do’s discussed this with Mo many years ago, I’d never ever change a goalie, I’d work towards his style and how he plays. Mo was the same way. Never change a goalie. A goalie coach can watch for variations in a goalie play and point them out via film review. But, why change a goalie at the nhl level?
Players can adapt a lot easier than goalies.
Again, I don’t know that peters has been trying to change their style to adapt to how he wants them to play but signs point to it.

I keep wondering why and how the canes have ruined so many players?
Goalies especially. Both lack and darling came in with high expectations and both floundered. Skinner played well for several years and now is horrid, same with Faulk.
I’m guessing here as I’ve only seen a couple practices the last years and no games.
There are several ways of implementing a system around a goalie. The first and most obvious is change the players to play the goalie. The second is to make the goalie change to play around the players and the third is change both players and goalie to do it your way. Personally, and I do’s discussed this with Mo many years ago, I’d never ever change a goalie, I’d work towards his style and how he plays. Mo was the same way. Never change a goalie. A goalie coach can watch for variations in a goalie play and point them out via film review. But, why change a goalie at the nhl level?
Players can adapt a lot easier than goalies.
Again, I don’t know that peters has been trying to change their style to adapt to how he wants them to play but signs point to it.

This is he best case I have heard. Our way or the highway......I love the "never change a goalie" angle--we seem to love to do the opposite

Those with more knowledge than me say we inexplicably chose with Darling, in particular, a goalie that was playing a completely different style in Chicago and are trying to change that style of play.

Chicago D works the opposing offense toward the walls and are active in front of the goalie, handling the rebounds and sweeping them away. No real puck handling by the goalie. Just block the first shot and they have the rest. Plus big emphasis on limiting high-danger shots from the slot and forcing shots to instead come from one side or the other.

Contrast that with our high-risk gap-control defense that when it fails allows odd-man rushes right down the slot and wants the goalie to not only stop the first shot but also handle rebounds and second shots with little help. In fact, they are poised for the breakout and looking for a pass from the goalie to the corner or up the wall.

Also we seemingly want goalies playing up, not deep. And both Darling and Lack supposedly played deep before coming here. And were not known as puck handlers.

Makes me really wonder what level of analysis and thinking actually went into our goalie acquisitions. Mistakes were made.

Last edited:
You're aware that not everybody from the same hometown are buddy buddy, right? Espo is from the Soo and I happen to know that he and Francis barely tolerate each other.

Actually it’s been reported both are pretty tight and not just a same hometown coincidence in terms of Dubas and Francis. Espo??? That guy has been suntanning in Florida for a like 100 years.

Actually it’s been reported both are pretty tight and not just a same hometown coincidence in terms of Dubas and Francis. Espo??? That guy has been suntanning in Florida for a like 100 years.

Meh. I don’t trust hockey media connect the dots reports of that kind. It’s all very convenient for the current narrative

Bob McKenzie just tweeted that Paul Fenton, the assistant GM in Nashville, has withdrawn himself from consideration.

Bob McKenzie just tweeted that Paul Fenton, the assistant GM in Nashville, has withdrawn himself from consideration.

Shame ... I liked the look of that likely candidate. Again, be prepared because I feel like we could run through more than a couple of these guys given that the job requires synching up with an owner none of these guys know from Adam.

Elliotte Friedman tweeted that Tom Fitzgerald, an AGM with the Devils, has withdrawn from consideration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

in some cases people "withdraw their name" because they have been told they are not going to be hired. That way it looks better for them vs. being turned down.

Like when a girl dumps you, and you tell your friends you dumped her. :smile(21):

in some cases people "withdraw their name" because they have been told they are not going to be hired. That way it looks better for them vs. being turned down.

Like when a girl dumps you, and you tell your friends you dumped her. :smile(21):

Exactly. They may not have even been under consideration but “withdrawing their name” raises their profile.

That has to be some made up rumor.

Apparently disparaging rumors about the Canes are the norm now. Waddell specifically sited one stating the Canes season tix renewals are way down. He claims they are 40% higher than they were this time last year.

Last edited:
Who do we think has been offered the job? I'm going to speculate and say no one. All B.S. partially pertuated when people like Jeff O'Neill and Nick Kypreos go around calling the new owner a cheapskate, claiming he's only offering 400k.

Last edited:
Back