• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Canes Call Up Zykov

I went and looked this morning and the last time the Canes managed to score more goals in a season than they allowed was .... drumroll for Capt Obvious .... you guessed it, 2009. The last time they made the playoffs. Shock of shocks.

If you project out the goals for and goals against thus far to projected 82 game totals, we're looking at 220 for and 255 against. That's 5 goals more in the plus column, but almost 20 more in the minus column. And you thought our goaltending and defense was bad last year. Francis and Peters actually managed to do worse. Congrats guys. But the reality is, if they had taken a significant step up in scoring that wouldn't matter nearly as much. We just don't have the offense to be as bad as we are on defense and still compete beyond a middling level. And look ... the guys are trying, because our position in the standings is not nearly as bad as it could be given the raw numbers.

I'm not even interested in playing "fix the lines" with this core group. The bottom line is the same ... until they find a number one center and a real starting goaltender, none of it matters. Because we just don't have enough of anything else that matter to make up for those holes. And those are just the basic, obvious holes. We don't have a proper number defenseman either. Our fourth line sort of sucks, our third pairing is a nightmare, we have no physical presence to speak of, our leadership seems kind of crap ... and on and on.

Zykov was recalled again. Not sure this is an emergency recall (which the last one apparently was) or if they are really planning on putting him in the lineup. Anyhow, called up again....

So the previous callup, had he actually been with the Canes Monday night, might have impacted Zykov's availability for last Tuesday's Checkers game. The Checkers don't play again until this Friday so there is no such excuse this time. This is probably just a one game deal for Zykov with him being sent back down after the Edmonton game so he can travel out with the Checkers to Laval for their Friday night game. Zykov is obviously much more important to the Checkers at the moment than he is to the Canes.

Back