• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Rangers, March 12th.

As one that thought we should ride it out with Darling, I think we’ve seen enuff to know that besides the brain farts, the dude is just bad positionally and has the mobility of a wounded rhinoceros. Call it the “Cam Farewell Tour” and go from there.
Darling is atrocious...and Peters is not much better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Textbook Canes performance yet again!

Darling brutal: ✔️
Faulk brutal: ✔️
Peters clueless ✔️
Make a nobody backup goalie look like a Vezina Winner ✔️
Play Non-physical sissy hockey ✔️

Trivia question: what’s the difference between Darling and an empty net?
Answer: not a lot

I was thinking exactly the same thing Dennis.

A team with a higher GA than GF don't tend to get very far. Until that changes, welcome to last year, and the year before that, etc., etc., etc..

Exactly what is the point of bringing Zykov up at this time of the season for no apparent reason?

Jim

The canes lost because Zykov didn’t get his hat trick. If he’d had it the canes would have been tied and gone into OT and in zykovs 5 second appearance, accidental, he would have scored sending jubilations up and down peace street.

Trivia question: what’s the difference between Darling and an empty net?
Answer: not a lot

An empty net will stop a puck eventually

Goal differential is -28 after tonight's game. That's pathetic and that's not a playoff team. Can this season end already??

Last edited:
This team is a freaking joke.

Serious question, how bad does it have to get before they realize that Darling is an anchor that needs to be sent far, far away from this team? You simply cannot even consider that to be anything close to an option in net moving forward.

Goal differential is -28 after tonight's game. That's pathetic and that's not a playoff team. Can this season end already??

We've had worse, but this one definitely feels worse than most because there were certainly higher expectations... We're Charlie Brown again
charlie-brown-football-300x300.jpg

A fresh perspective from the top down is long overdue. Sadly, this is the only thing to be optimistic about going forward.

Serious question, how bad does it have to get before they realize that Darling is an anchor that needs to be sent far, far away from this team? You simply cannot even consider that to be anything close to an option in net moving forward.

Yeah, I agree, the guy is a mess.

It seems like 27, 7 33, and 49 are able to complete so few good plays that they are destroying anything we get going.

Bad decisions with the puck, Passes to nobody, not getting shots through, getting shots blocked up high and out, missing the net entirely and repeatedly, not being able to handle decent passes cleanly, making weak shots from well out with nobody in front of the net that allow the other goalie to freeze the puck or easily play it to his support. Never getting a key save, playing the puck poorly, getting on the wrong side of your man defensively, never being physical.

Really poor pokes checks. Faulk had one solid body check, and McGinn had a couple. That's it. I fell asleep with a 3-3 score. Woke up sure they blew it. They did. Time to blow it up. Fire Peters. Trade anyone you can this summer. Sign a goalie, a center, and a stud d-man and go from there.

The rangers and ranger fans are really upset with the canes. They couldn’t even tank! The canes stole their thunder.

What does this team, system, or environment do to goalies. Could Darling have been this bad in Chicago? Did Lack lack fundamentals in Vancouver? Understand that backup duties are different than starting, but guys come here and look like they forgot how to play. And then it takes them several years to get their confidence back (Khudobin is finally playing well in a backup role again).

Do we change the way goalies play? Does our "system" force them out of their zone? Tripp rants about us wanting Darling to play the puck more. Could worrying about that destroy the rest of his habits?

Is our system optimized for Cam Ward to look good for 1 month out of every year and then be mediocre the rest of the time, while making the other goalie look like an emergency backup forced to play?

What does this team, system, or environment do to goalies. Could Darling have been this bad in Chicago? Did Lack lack fundamentals in Vancouver? Understand that backup duties are different than starting, but guys come here and look like they forgot how to play. And then it takes them several years to get their confidence back (Khudobin is finally playing well in a backup role again).

Do we change the way goalies play? Does our "system" force them out of their zone? Tripp rants about us wanting Darling to play the puck more. Could worrying about that destroy the rest of his habits?

Is our system optimized for Cam Ward to look good for 1 month out of every year and then be mediocre the rest of the time, while making the other goalie look like an emergency backup forced to play?

I think with both Darling and Lack, they both never really had a big enough body of steady work to show they were worthy or ready to be a #1 goalie in the NHL. What's amazing to watch with Darling is how he seems to be so inconsistent when it comes to any set style whatsoever that he plays...for a big man he just seems to allow so much net for the shooter far too often. Does anyone really believe that Scott Darling is going to suddenly look like a steady, reliable NHL starter no matter where he plays if he continues to play the kinda hockey he has this season?

A proven NHL starter was the better route for this team...Mike Smith in my opinion would have gotten the Canes into the playoffs if you want to compare a coulda, shoulda, woulda choice over Darling last summer. Just my 2 cents.

What was the time on the clock when Wild Bill pulled Darling? Zuccarello's goal came at 17:23. Why are we pulling the goalie so early in a 4-3 game? Paging Mr. Dundon ... are you paying attention?

Does anyone really believe that Scott Darling is going to suddenly look like a steady, reliable NHL starter no matter where he plays if he continues to play the kinda hockey he has this season?

This is the big issue. Darling doesn't look like there is ANYTHING he is doing out there that is NHL level goaltending. His puck handling is ridiculously bad. He rebound control is terrible. His glove hand is bad. He has a hard time covering the puck. His angles are off. He plays small way way too much. I don't see any way that any of this can be fixed by more coaching.

I don't know what went wrong here, but the guy with the Scott Darling jersey on that they keep trotting out there is so far away from even being a reasonable NHL backup level goalie that keeping him around here would be beyond foolish. Maybe he got away with all of these holes in Chicago because they don't allow quality chances? Maybe his head is so messed up about the money and being a #1 goalie that he has completely lost just about all of his fundamentals? I don't know what it is, but I can't see Darling being fixed, especially not here. And if this team is serious about being a playoff team, Darling cannot be our #1 or #2 next season. If they do want to try to have him work it all out to try to salvage SOMETHING out of his contract that needs to happen in the AHL.

Next season you have to figure that Neds will be given an NHL level chance to be a 30 start #2 or a 40 start #1B. Who the other NHL goalie will be remains to be seen (sorry folks, but I think it will be Cam again). Darling just can't be in that mix. If we elect to send him to Charlotte instead of buying him out, he would be the #3 and split starts with Callum Booth in Charlotte with Jeremy Helvig as the #5 rookie playing in Florida.

Last edited:
In the post game last night, some (idiot) reporter asked Stempniak about if they can take something from outplaying (he might have said dominating play) the rangers and still coming up on the short end... What game is he talking about? We think shooting constantly is a sign of domination? Tripp seems to - couldn't stop talking about we have 70+ shot attempts - who cares if they're all into a defense man or 5 feet wide of the net, or at our own players head. And if I hear him say one more time something about someone building a game, I'm gonna throw up. And both of them saying Ryan redeemed himself for giving up the goal by winning the faceoff that led to Stempniak's goal? What? No. Sorry, not even close.

We can fuss at Skinner for not passing etc., but we don't have anyone on the ice with him who can receive a pass without fumbling it all over the place. And Ryan on the power play? What gives? It's like declining the man advantage because the killers don't have to defend him anywhere other than right in front, and there all they have to do is breath on him to push him away. He fumbles the puck when he gets it, he has a weak shot, and he makes poor passes that are off target or impossible to handle, and if they are close to being on target they're so slow the D has plenty of time to react.

Back